Page 1 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2011, 5:52 pm

hi there,

according to my theories (e.g. intense world syndrome etc... ) aspies are highly sensitive, intense beings. However, if the world is such intense for aspies, why are there not many aspies who take drugs to calm down?

side note: I am just drinking some beer right now to compensate my current depression, ok ... i do my fine share in the aspies doing drugs-statistic :-)) . However, there are so many other people who consume drugs much more drugs.... than me... i see sometimes people in the city bus ... fetching a hidden bottle out of their bag... drinking it fast and hiding it again..... :(

To formulate my question abit more concrete: Consider any group of drug abusers, e.g. alcoholics, or the heroin addicted, .... shouldn't there be any high percentage of aspies in each of them? If the world is such terribly intense for aspies, shouldn't they then have a significance share in each group of addicted?

My question is: Why aren't aspies more visible in the groups of drug addicts? Why aren't they more addicted? If they feel so much bitterness, why are the not get addicted more? According to our theories, shouldn't the percentage be higher?

greets,
anton

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 6:08 pm

I'm not sure what the stats really are -- maybe there is a greatly increased incidence of drug use.

Thinking about the numbers, the incidence of drug abuse would have to be really high among ASD people to be noticeable, given that ratio of ASD to NT is 1 to 100. IOW, even if all ASD people were drug addicted and the rate of drug addiction in the general population is 5%, then ASD people will still be outnumbered by NT addicts 5 to 1. (I don't know if the general rate of drug addiction is 5%, though; I just made that number up.)

I lurked on a hard-drugs newsgroups once, and a guy said that if you find the world to be a sharp, jagged, painful place to exist in, then you'll probably like heroin. So, I decided that I should probably avoid heroin.

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 6:09 pm

maybe but i think most aspies are scared of drugs...

Zabriski
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Dec 2011, 6:12 pm

I'm above the influence 8)

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 6:19 pm

I take a lot of everything to numb down this intensiveness..
I think it would be reasonable to hypothesize that AS people are more prone to addictions for both addictive behaviour and difference in perception. However I see some character traits that might prevent that; social aspect plays its role and it takes introduction, also it's a change. Aspies are not very visible as such either. It would be interesting to see some stats.

Last edited by mar00 on 08 Dec 2011, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2011, 6:21 pm

haha.... i just drank two little bottles.... and i am so drunk :-)

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 6:24 pm

I would suggest that aspies stay well away from drugs of abuse.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2011, 6:27 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
I would suggest that aspies stay well away from drugs of abuse.

my dear friend woodpecker,

your suggestion is well founded... and many certainly will agree,.... and i really like your messages..... and read them with special care.... however.... please consider.... this was not the concern of the OP, which is me..... :)

greets,
anton

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 6:32 pm

I think that unless they are trying to self-medicate or are really desperate to try to be accepted that aspies are less likely to even try drugs.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2011, 6:41 pm

mar00 wrote:
I think it would be reasonable to hypothesize that AS people are more prone to addictions for both addictive behaviour and difference in perception. However I see some character traits that might prevent that; social aspect plays its role and it takes introduction, also it's a change. Aspies are not very visible as such either. It would be interesting to see some stats.

yeah, ... you are on the same track as me!
what hinders aspies to do drugs?!

greets,
anton

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 7:03 pm

antonblock wrote:
mar00 wrote:

yeah, ... you are on the same track as me!
what hinders aspies to do drugs?!

greets,
anton

But I do think it's quite awful especially for Aspies and it probably never ends well ;)

As said drugs need to be obtained which many cannot bother themselves with. It has this social compound as well.
Also there is a ton of various fears associated and Aspies seem to be decent at generating them. It's a fear for health, change in cognition, also people are rather stubborn with their beliefs and "we all know how bad drugs are". I imagine it's quite a thing to do.
Also it requires income and stuff, so at very best one is left with a few adolescent try-outs.
Aaand actually I don't think that most drugs go well with it. They do agitate depression and reduce stability which generate anxiety and I would think these affects might be more severe in this case.
Is there such thing as recreational drug use anyway?

Diabolikal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2011, 7:31 pm

I don't trust drugs of any sort except medicinal, since I have no idea what the result would be on my neurology, and to avoid the whole political debate over legalization of drugs, as well as this world may suck, but I'd still prefer to be sober and in full physical control and knowledge.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 7:44 pm

Zabriski wrote:

That's nothing, I am the f**king influence :wink:

(makes no sense, come to think of it, because I don't do drugs and I only drink very rarely, but hey, does that not sound cool?)

Zabriski
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Dec 2011, 8:48 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Zabriski wrote:

(makes no sense, come to think of it, because I don't do drugs and I only drink very rarely, but hey, does that not sound cool?)

That sounds awesome :lol:

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

08 Dec 2011, 9:05 pm

Zabriski wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
Zabriski wrote:

That sounds awesome :lol:
If you're the influence, I'm the drug. All of you drink me, smoke me, snort me, enema me, inject me, swallow me, chew me, etc. I make your emotions what they are, calm you down or f**k you up. Numb your senses or see new possibilities. Wow...

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 9:14 pm

I think weed can be very good for aspies. It helps me with depression and it is not addictive.
I would never touch heroin or coke or anything like that.
I hate how the government brainwashes people with ant-drug campaigns like"Above the influence" when cannabis can help people with depression.
The government wastes too much money on anti-drug campaigns.

Last edited by artrat on 08 Dec 2011, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.