Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 11:32 am

This year since I'm in a larger city KB is having all new evaluations done, both through the school and independent. So far, her hearing and eyesight are fine. Not a surprise.

There are three sets, actually. We have the chance to participate in a research study on the neurobiological correlates of language dysfunction in autism spectrum disorders. Or, what the brain is doing with language. She will be thoroughly evaluated and then receive MRI and EEG studies. She knows all about it and wants to participate. The investigators have been really good with her.

In a bit of pure serendipity the principal investigator did a quick check for scotopic sensitivity because words squirm around when she's trying to read. He went into Irlen training initially to disprove the method, but it actually worked. So, some really dark lenses pin the words down on the paper. We shall see.

For all this evaluation and MRI and such they will share whatever information they get plus pay a small sum that I don't care all that much about.

10 yo dd on the spectrum

Eureka-C
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 1:56 pm

In a bit of pure serendipity the principal investigator did a quick check for scotopic sensitivity because words squirm around when she's trying to read. He went into Irlen training initially to disprove the method, but it actually worked. So, some really dark lenses pin the words down on the paper. We shall see.

I was introduced to Irlen syndrome aka scotopic sensitivity last year through the site I work at. I too was highly skeptical at first. As part of the testing we do, we often give the achievement test the WAIS - III. One of the subtests is a reading fluency test. We do a before/after test (about a week apart so you don't get a practice effect) with and without the Irlen overlays. I watch kids over and over improve their fluency, speed, and ability to stay on line using the Irlen overlays. It does not suddenly make them perfect readers. For example, one girl has a reading LD and she had trouble pronouncing many of the words in the passage at two grade levels below, she also often inserted words and exchanged unfamiliar words with familiar words. She often repeated the same 5 or 6 words two to three times while reading as if her eyes kept jumping back on the line. She would jump up a line or down a line too. The overlays improved her ability to stay on the line, and she barely repeated any parts of the passage. She also inserted less words. However, she still read two grade levels lower, and had trouble pronouncing words and replacing unfamiliar words with familiar words. I saw things like this over and over and became a believer.

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 2:47 pm

If it just makes the letters stay put on the page I'd be happy. She avoids reading because for one thing it's uncomfortable. I could see the relaxation on her face with the right color, which looks about the same color as sunglasses. She says her sunglasses help just about as much.

10 yo dd on the spectrum