Poll 3: Do you think that you need a cure?

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

answer
Poll ended at 12 Feb 2012, 7:08 am
I am autistic and I think that autism is something wrong with me which needs to be cured 16%  16%  [ 9 ]
I am autistic and I think that there is no cure to be discovered or taken as there is nothing wrong with me 75%  75%  [ 41 ]
I am not autistic and I think that autism is a bad thing and so autistics need to be cured 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
I am not autistic and I think that there is no cure as autistics are not ill 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 55

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2011, 10:54 pm

I can understand wanting to lessen the more negative effects of being on the spectrum, but not to erase everything, good or bad.

Okay, going to draw a parallel here. Imagine this:
You have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, with peanut butter on both pieces of bread and the jelly in between the peanut butter. If you were to take a knife and scrape off all the jelly, you would take a fair bit of peanut butter and possibly some bread with you, changing the entire sandwich. Now take that and apply it to Autism and the idea of a cure: the bread and peanut butter are everything that makes up the person, the jelly is the Autism and the knife is the cure. If you took away Autism from someone, you would take away a large chunk of who they are. I do not want to become someone different just to be "normal."

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

21 Dec 2011, 10:32 am

btbnnyr wrote:
The poll results look like a non-verbal cue that I know and love.

rofl!! ! your right it does look like we gave this poll the finger. Awesome.

Jojo