Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

greyhelium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 10:07 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
Yeah it could be ADHD and/or ASD.

The part of not being able to finish is classic ADHD.

The part of hyperfocusing on things you want to do is also very typical
of ADHD. Like a kid may not be able to spend 5 minutes cleaning his room
but can spend 12 hours playing the same video game.

i havent been dx with ADHD in addition to AS but i do exhibit alot of the traits from ADHD.... including that one... i start a task then i cant keep intrested in it and keep putting it off and get stressed if i have to carry on with it... but if its something i like doing or want to do or have convinced myself i have to do i can stop, and often do the whole thing in one sitting (like with my coursework last year)

alexa232
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 4:04 pm

fresco wrote:
This is possibly more an attention deficit issue than an AS trait but anyway! I find it difficult to finish a task, its like I lose energy and focus two thirds of the way through, this is particularly applicable to household chores but it occasionally occurs half way through a project, its like an off button is released.
Paradoxically, there are times when I can persevere to the point where meals and sleep are missed!

ditto

itsjustlife
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Oct 2006, 5:40 pm

I'm the exact same way. I'll be doing so many things at once I forget what I should be doing and in what order. I'll sometimes go days without eating or sleeping simply cause I dont keep track of time. Obviously this is only a problem if you have things that you HAVE TO DO, i've been able to do anything i've wanted for the last couple months so it's lead to having literally hundreds of different projects and thing's started and then abondoned the next day or half way through, or 20min into it. It's almost impossible for me to go back to something. It's like i'll always find something better to do, but not having any structure or rules keeps me from finishing anything.

Chores were always a problem. Whenever i'm doing something I don't want to, especially if its repetitive I start to get really tired and get pains everywhere. It's really strange..

The best advice I have is to go with what you want to be doing. I'm a writer so what I do is open up one word document - start writing whatever i'm writing about and if something else comes to mind, i'll go with it and just keep writing and writing and go back and seperate it later. If you're unable to keep one train of thought then don't try to, you might not be able to or it might not be what's best for you anyways.

The only other thing that has helped is keeping lists of what i need to do and keeping them where i can't miss them. If i'm at the computer I might stay there ALL Day and not do anything, not becauce i'm lazy but because I never even thought to do anything else. My mom would say I wouldnt do my chores until I SAW her face. Keeping a list and giving yourself a time frame and times at which to do certain things is probably the only way you're going to remember.

Another thing i've noticed is if I try to remember something without them, i'll obsess over them and not be able to think of anything else. THis is more of a problem than not doing them in the first place! Keep a journal for long term goals, then other lists for weekly and daily goals and put them where you can SEE them..

Not having structure has been the best thing for my creativity but it's almost impossible for me to finish something that I can't in one sitting. Going back to something is very very difficult for me. Hope this helps!

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 7:05 pm

alexa232 wrote:
fresco wrote:
This is possibly more an attention deficit issue than an AS trait but anyway! I find it difficult to finish a task, its like I lose energy and focus two thirds of the way through, this is particularly applicable to household chores but it occasionally occurs half way through a project, its like an off button is released.
Paradoxically, there are times when I can persevere to the point where meals and sleep are missed!

ditto

...I second (or, rather, third?) that... *funny anecdote pops into head*

Hahahaha!! !

I once concentrated so hard on a light in my room one night as a child that I completely ignored a very important daily function and peed the bed!
All I remember is staring so hard at that light and thinking my million thoughts a minute, and then feeling something warm and wet between me legs! :oops: