how common is it to mimic animal sounds?

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

do you enjoy mimicking animal sounds?
on the spectrum - yes 83%  83%  [ 90 ]
on the spectrum - no 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
NT - yes 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
NT - no 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 108

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 4:53 pm

orca imitates an outboard engine

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYLCufhSCG0[/youtube]

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 7:23 pm

Oh yes. My daughter and I converse in cat frequently. In kindergarten she'd hiss at the teachers. I knew what she meant even if teachers didn't. Hissing didn't get her into nearly as much trouble as "f off and go away" would. Well, she doesn't use that word, but that's what she meant.

10 yo dd on the spectrum

Emiliania
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Dec 2011, 8:27 pm

I meow back at my cats whenever they meow at me. I swear we understand each other - they make more sense than humans, most of the time. I also love making other animal noises, but unfortunately, I'm really, really terrible at mimicking animals other than cats :roll: . This provokes (gentle) teasing from people around me that are subjected to the mooing, barking, braying, neighing, growling, and my interpretation of the sound a baby puffin makes - my personal favourite.

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 8:31 pm

I used to imitate red wing blackbirds well enough that they'd answer back. Sea otters and I had some lovely conversations. I wish I knew what the heck we were saying but it was cool that they'd answer back.

10 yo dd on the spectrum

AntitheticalChiasm
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Dec 2011, 9:17 am

if i meow at my dad a lot, he'll bark and growl viciously at me xD makes me laugh every time~ he's very good at mimicking dogs... i'm a lot better at cats, and i'm especially good at mewing like kittens. i'm also pretty good at mimicking nanny goats, much to the chagrin of the lone billy goat that wanders my neighborhood. :'D not long ago, i had a nice chat with a great horned owl, as well.

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 6:01 pm

not something i do when there's people around, obviously, but i don't find it different in kind from talking to humans.
i went on a long trip once, where i ended up not often speaking with anyone. there were a lot of crows in that area, & i noticed how they were watching me. so when one of them made its cry, i tried to copy it. i don't think it was purely subjective that they answered back, though without shaping their own responses. some of these exchanges lasted the better part of an hour. it was a good way to pass the time.

reasoning." --William Blake

spaceappleseed
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Dec 2011, 6:35 pm

Definitely yes. Arf, arfketa! I also frequently make pokemon noises... :oops:

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2011, 6:36 pm

I meow to my cats all the time, and they respond and start a conversation too :P

Domisoldo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Aug 2012, 9:15 am

Funny... I do like imitating animal sounds. I used to have conversations with my birds, would imitate barking, and the high pitched sound doggies make, I still "talk" to my cats in their language, i.e. meowing, rrrrrrrrrrrrrwing, and hissing when they do something I don't like... Did the same thing with horses, cows, sheeps... Also, I'm a singer with an exceptionally big range : 4 octaves... And I always thought the reason why I could control my high, some would say stratospheric range (it's called the whistle register), is because I never stopped using it to answer at birds, mimic a telephone ringing, etc...

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 9:33 am

I speak to felines in Catese. The odd thing is, they seem to know what I am saying/what my intentions are. When I want to let them know it's safe to come out, I will make a series of short meows and sure enough, they will come right out. If one seems depressed or otherwise unhappy, I'll do a deeper, stretched-out meow. To get them to headbutt or rub up against my leg, I will do a more "upbeat" meow. Works every time. I also purr when they are purring and growl/hiss at another animal that's bothering them.

I was walking across town with a friend and started doing the short meows and cats started coming out of the woodwork, following me as if I was the Pied Piper.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 10:20 am

I used to make animal sounds all the time. Not so much recently though. People would ask me to do my cat and goose imitations all the time because it's so realistic. I also sometimes make random growling sounds for no reason. I used to growl at my roommates dog all the time to get her to do things like not eat my food or to get off the couch. When I was younger (up until around the third grade), I'd growl at other kids when they were annoying me or when I felt they were too close to me.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Kenjitsuka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2012, 3:07 pm

I squeal very high pitched, like a pig I guess, when happily excited.
I growl like a dog when very angry.
Purring at the cat.

Maybe more...
Definitely a thing I hear a LOT from others on the spectrum as well!

The Broad Autism Phenotype Test: You scored 132 aloof, 126 rigid and 132 pragmatic. IQ: 139. AQ: 45/50

Steven_Tyler77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Aug 2012, 4:15 pm

I am unable to imitate anything whatsoever. I can't even whistle for the life of me. I am unable to imitate animal sounds. I wasn't able to do so even as a kid...

If I could, I'd probably meow when I interact with a cat. It doesn't seem offensive to me, you know? Those Aspies probably overreacted...

When I talked to my beloved cat and she meowed back at me, we sometimes had these beautiful conversations, where she would meow at me and I would talk to her by imitating her tonality. It was a sweet pastime. God, I miss her so much...

Aspie-quiz results:
Aspie score: 138 of 200 / NT score: 78 of 200 => Very likely an Aspie.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 5:19 pm

Both myself and my fiance (who is not on the autistic spectrum) like to imitate cats lol. He also likes to imitate dog growls.

SavageMessiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Aug 2012, 6:43 pm

Been mimicking sounds since I can remember. I talk to my cats and dog all the time.

Learned to do bird calls as I learned about local birds growing up.

At night I mock screech owls.

In fact, everything I've talked to has talked back - I think it's a rewarding experience.

If you haven't tried pigeon, purse your lips, inflate your whole mouth, rattle your tongue while blowing out, letting are escape through your lips.

The most hideous thing I've mocked is Sarah Jessica Parker's "screech laugh" lmao

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 11:34 pm

I don't know if if I "enjoy" it, but I do it.

When I was a child, I learned to do a really accurate wolf howl. I used to do it when I went to bed and my parents had company over for cards. And yes....I can still do it.
My mother had a pet turkey for a while. And apparently I could communicate with it, I would do a turkey gobble sound and it would gobble right back at me. I moo at cows, chirp at our bird, and grunt at our pet pig. I don't bark at our dog, but if she makes a weird sound -- sometimes she makes this odd sound that is similar to the sound people make when they yawn -- I'll do it back. A while back, I was watching a pasture of sheep and goats, and I started vocalizing with them.

Hmm...maybe I DO enjoy it. :)