Is your family accepting of your special interests?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2011, 11:45 pm

Oren wrote:
Yes. I like technology, and they find my knowledge of trivia and my ability to research good.

I am frequently asked for help.

There is this, too. It happens at work too, even though I am but a humble intern. :P

I am not even that good with technology, but since I do not like asking for help, I am very good at finding answers.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

18 Dec 2011, 11:45 pm

liv_via wrote:
I have a tendency to hoard things like jewelry, fabric and all things made of glass (which I come across at second-hand stores, flea markets and garage sales)... I also dumpster-dive. The things I find are usually incorporated into my artwork, so I'm not likely to stop anytime soon. My family wouldn't be impressed if they knew, but I live in a different city... so, what they don't know won't hurt them :P
As long as you aren't up to your elbows in nick-knacks, and you're not living in unsanitary circumstances, does it matter what they think? Your quirk is hardly a destructive/dangerous one, what's wrong with indulging a little? Tell them it's all a part of the creative process :D
I used to dumpster dive as a kid. Back then, people who didn't like their NES games threw them in the dumpsters behind the apartment complex. Through exploration of others' trash, I found treasures - Super Mario Bros. 3, Spy vs. Spy, Contra, and one or two others I don't remember the names of. Anyway, I'll get back on track. The only special interest that my family objected to was in grade school, and Sailor Moon had just come out. I asked for everything Sailor Moon-related, including keychains, a pink shirt, light-up shoes, blanket, lunchbox, CD's, VHS, and a Luna plushie. I even wanted to dress up as Sailor Moon for Halloween. Out of those, the only thing I got was a keychain of Sailor Mercury (which I still have, by the way). They told me that I couldn't have the rest of what I wanted because I'm a boy, not a girl, and I should find something else to get into.

dogslife
Toucan
Toucan

19 Dec 2011, 12:15 am

Accepting, sure, but not inherently interested (and I don't blame them). Often if I'm talking about one of my special interests, the reply will be a noncommittal "hmm."

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 1:06 am

No, not at all. Almost every time I have expressed an interest in something they let me know how stupid they think it is.

Most of what I am interested in now would not be safe to mention around them. I don't trust them at all.

liv_via
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Dec 2011, 1:06 am

SyphonFilter wrote:
"I used to dumpster dive as a kid. Back then, people who didn't like their NES games threw them in the dumpsters behind the apartment complex. Through exploration of others' trash, I found treasures - Super Mario Bros. 3, Spy vs. Spy, Contra, and one or two others I don't remember the names of..." "... I even wanted to dress up as Sailor Moon for Halloween. Out of those, the only thing I got was a keychain of Sailor Mercury (which I still have, by the way). They told me that I couldn't have the rest of what I wanted because I'm a boy, not a girl, and I should find something else to get into."

People are terribly wasteful aren't they? One of my interests used to be rescuing usable items from landfills and selling them to pawnshops and/or donating them to establishments like Value Village and The Salvation Army (after thoroughly disinfecting them, of course). The ironic thing is that I'm something of a germaphobe, so you'd think that second-hand items and spending time in dumpsters would be a source of conflict... thank goodness for disposable gloves, masks and soap :P
People couldn't seem to get their heads around it though, I was judged pretty harshly by those who saw my hobby as filthy and peculiar :(
Also, you definitely should have dressed as Sailor Moon for Halloween!

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 1:25 am

SyphonFilter wrote:
I used to dumpster dive as a kid. Back then, people who didn't like their NES games threw them in the dumpsters behind the apartment complex. Through exploration of others' trash, I found treasures - Super Mario Bros. 3, Spy vs. Spy, Contra, and one or two others I don't remember the names of. Anyway, I'll get back on track. The only special interest that my family objected to was in grade school, and Sailor Moon had just come out. I asked for everything Sailor Moon-related, including keychains, a pink shirt, light-up shoes, blanket, lunchbox, CD's, VHS, and a Luna plushie. I even wanted to dress up as Sailor Moon for Halloween. Out of those, the only thing I got was a keychain of Sailor Mercury (which I still have, by the way). They told me that I couldn't have the rest of what I wanted because I'm a boy, not a girl, and I should find something else to get into.

Out of curiosity what was the appeal of dressing up in womens clothing?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 2:22 am

lilbuddah wrote:
*brohoof* Good to see another brony posting.

*returns brohoof* Same to you! :)

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 7:43 am

Yes. My mother has always been very accepting and encouraging of my special interests ever since I can remember. Even when I was a toddler, she always went out of her way to buy me birthday and Christmas presents related to my special interests. One early example is that, when I was really obsessed with Full House as a toddler, she found a season 2 picture of the cast, glued a picture of me in with the cast, and put the picture in my room. She never seemed to think my SIs were "weird." She just always accepted them and did her best to find ways to incorporate them into my life.

Nash: Is there a difference?

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 9:32 am

My sister is really supportive of my studio ghibli special interest and has even bought me two big stuffed toy totoros. My parents also watch ghiblis with me when I'm home