Single, 48, and feeling like Spock.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JanJan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Dec 2011, 8:08 pm

I'm a 48 year old woman who scored 32 on the Aspie test. I have limited dating experience, none of which I recall ever went well. i was lucky enough to get involved with a woman for 14 years who taught me how to dress, use makeup, act appropriately, talk to people, etc. That relationship has since ended and I'm trying to get out and meet people.
I've had people say they think I'm dead inside. i've been called a charming android. What everyone is saying is that I don't show emotion. Really, i just go home and cry because I don't know what they want.

I know I feel emotion, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do more of to show it.
Does anyone know of any resources that can help one learn how to show emotion. (I'm feeling a little like spock here)

bruinsy33
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Dec 2011, 11:26 pm

JanJan wrote:
I'm a 48 year old woman who scored 32 on the Aspie test. I have limited dating experience, none of which I recall ever went well. i was lucky enough to get involved with a woman for 14 years who taught me how to dress, use makeup, act appropriately, talk to people, etc. That relationship has since ended and I'm trying to get out and meet people.
I've had people say they think I'm dead inside. i've been called a charming android. What everyone is saying is that I don't show emotion. Really, i just go home and cry because I don't know what they want.

I know I feel emotion, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do more of to show it.
Does anyone know of any resources that can help one learn how to show emotion. (I'm feeling a little like spock here)
Not sure why you think a lack of emotion is the problem with why you are single.Are you wishing you could show your emotion /feelings towards someone that you are interested in ?

Brianruns10
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 12:06 am

The real question is what are you doing to fill your life with purpose, rather than put your hopes for happiness and satisfaction in the hands of someone who may not exist? When you think about it, isn't it madness the way so many of us live our lives according to people who aren't a part of them? We starve ourselves, butcher our bodies, inject poisons, nod and smile at the blatherings of idiots, and wear masks all day long in the hopes of attracting a mate.

I won't lie and say there is someone out there for you, keep looking and all that. It's BS.

You have to acknowledge that that is a possibility.

You must act on that assumption and form a new life outlook, as I have been trying to do. If you knew for a fact you were going to be alone and loveless your whole life, what would you do? How would you fill it and give it meaning?

I've given myself over to my work as a filmmaker,committed my life to creating something truly beautiful and great that people will treasure. That is my purpose now. I've not ruled out the possibility of love, and I keep my eye out, but it is no longer my purpose. I made myself miserable thinking I needed someone else to be happy. I avoided opportunities because I was afraid to do it alone.

No more. I travel and see the country by myself. I go to the movies by myself. I work, by myself. I have control of my life, and I've never been quite so satisfied and contented.

So to reiterate: forget companionship. Don't worry about it. How can you make yourself happy? Find your passion, whether it's the arts, or science or literature or charity or religion. Something to give yourself over to. And perhaps along the way you'll find someone who'll love you for you, who won't make you change or compromise who you are. But if not, no loss, because you still lived a full, full life.

bruinsy33
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2011, 1:43 am

Brianruns10 wrote:
The real question is what are you doing to fill your life with purpose, rather than put your hopes for happiness and satisfaction in the hands of someone who may not exist? When you think about it, isn't it madness the way so many of us live our lives according to people who aren't a part of them? We starve ourselves, butcher our bodies, inject poisons, nod and smile at the blatherings of idiots, and wear masks all day long in the hopes of attracting a mate.

I won't lie and say there is someone out there for you, keep looking and all that. It's BS.

You have to acknowledge that that is a possibility.

You must act on that assumption and form a new life outlook, as I have been trying to do. If you knew for a fact you were going to be alone and loveless your whole life, what would you do? How would you fill it and give it meaning?

I've given myself over to my work as a filmmaker,committed my life to creating something truly beautiful and great that people will treasure. That is my purpose now. I've not ruled out the possibility of love, and I keep my eye out, but it is no longer my purpose. I made myself miserable thinking I needed someone else to be happy. I avoided opportunities because I was afraid to do it alone.

No more. I travel and see the country by myself. I go to the movies by myself. I work, by myself. I have control of my life, and I've never been quite so satisfied and contented.

So to reiterate: forget companionship. Don't worry about it. How can you make yourself happy? Find your passion, whether it's the arts, or science or literature or charity or religion. Something to give yourself over to. And perhaps along the way you'll find someone who'll love you for you, who won't make you change or compromise who you are. But if not, no loss, because you still lived a full, full life.
Excellent post.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 3:06 am

Quote:
I've had people say they think I'm dead inside. i've been called a charming android.

Wow, that's kind of harsh.

Yeah, it's the problem of what do you do when being yourself doesn't work. Acting lessons or books on body language to learn how to generate the right cues? Be one's self in a different way? Try to find people who can read me or who are ok with asking when they need to know and can't tell? Unfortunately, I don't know the answer.

(Oh, and welcome to WP!)

JanJan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Dec 2011, 8:38 am

I've lived on my own now for 4 years and have accumulated a ton of interests. I build websites, I've taken up painting, I run a business and work there a gazillion hours. I have a lot that I enjoy but find that anyone I'm interested in turns me down and I believe that the lack of emotion is the reason. My good friend told me I'm attractive, well put together, successful, friendly enough, but then rubs my chest and says it's hard to get to know what's in "there".

I just have to figure out a way of putting what's "in there" "out there". Perhaps acting lessons are a good idea but I hate the thought of going through my life acting. Perhaps it will eventually become automatic.

Thanks for your feedback and making feel welcome in this community.

awes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2011, 9:16 am

JanJan wrote:
I've lived on my own now for 4 years and have accumulated a ton of interests. I build websites, I've taken up painting, I run a business and work there a gazillion hours. I have a lot that I enjoy but find that anyone I'm interested in turns me down and I believe that the lack of emotion is the reason. My good friend told me I'm attractive, well put together, successful, friendly enough, but then rubs my chest and says it's hard to get to know what's in "there".

I just have to figure out a way of putting what's "in there" "out there". Perhaps acting lessons are a good idea but I hate the thought of going through my life acting. Perhaps it will eventually become automatic.

Thanks for your feedback and making feel welcome in this community.

instead of expressing your emotions through gestures you could also express them through words, don't you think?
Many people tell me I appear arrogant and distanced, that's probably because I am but there are many ways of breaking the distance if I feel like it.
You are right, it definitely IS acting but it's like speaking a normal language, once you get used to it it becomes intuitive and you will intuitively associate a feeling with a gesture, for me it even feels true now.
That's just the way it is for non autistic children who learn it the same way but not conscious but automatically. Only that they don't have this ability of conscious acting.
Of course you necessarily need the mental capacity for acting constantly, which is enormous. I don't consider it self-deception since I can decide whoever I want to be, I would even consider it a much purer me that's not led by his emotions but by his conscience. Who decides what "me" is? ME!

---> ;D http://www.youtube.com/user/IIIIIawesIIIII

YOU'RE ALL WELCOME!

JanJan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Dec 2011, 1:32 pm

Interesting. At 48 I'm still learning so much about myself. I didn't know Aspergers existed until my niece was diagnosed. All the difficulties she is having, I had as a kid. I looked at my father and it all came together. My father and his brother are both on the spectrum I'm sure.

Perhaps by the time I'm 80 I'll have all these social conventions and emotional stuff figured out. :roll: LOL

awes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2011, 2:08 pm

JanJan wrote:
Interesting. At 48 I'm still learning so much about myself. I didn't know Aspergers existed until my niece was diagnosed. All the difficulties she is having, I had as a kid. I looked at my father and it all came together. My father and his brother are both on the spectrum I'm sure.

Perhaps by the time I'm 80 I'll have all these social conventions and emotional stuff figured out. :roll: LOL

I'm only 18, normal children are much younger when they learn those things. If you do it consciously you would master it in a few weeks, I think.
It's only a few moves, gestures and some alterations of your voice, if it would be that complex children wouldn't be able to get it.
You only have to watch otherones actively, I've understood that the reason I lacked of gestures was that I never watched other people. I never kept eye contact and never had my optical but only my mental visual focus on the people I was interacting with so I didn't see their faces clearly. It's still often the case, since I can concentrate much better if I don't look in the otherones eyes because such closeness kinda overwhelms me but I at least look at their faces. I think I will start a new thread about my troubles with eye contact now...
If you don't try it you've already lost the game, my dear. But you might see that what I say is true.

---> ;D http://www.youtube.com/user/IIIIIawesIIIII

YOU'RE ALL WELCOME!

munch15a
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2011, 11:28 pm

I do know what you mean I do wonder if I have the same levels of emotion as others I certainly seam not to show it.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 5:49 pm

try this:

you dont have to do anything more to show emotion.

it is an unatural event for you and something you appear to have been doing for a period.

accept the fact that being spock like is normal for you.

dont pathologise AS -this behaviour is normal for you, as soon as you feel you need to adapt- it shows and people pick up on this and you appear fake.

why do you need to show emotion because other non AS are doing it?

its like telling a gay guy to act straight.....he can do it....for a while.

but he will always get sussed out.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 12:40 am

JanJan wrote:

be thankful you had a relationship in the springtime of your life, that beats what many of the rest of us have been able to accomplish.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 1:49 am

I'm 48 too and Spock is a big hero of mine.

If your born in the year of the rabbit.... demure, retreative, conflict avoiding stuff is normal

JanJan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Dec 2011, 8:45 pm

auntblabby wrote:
JanJan wrote:

be thankful you had a relationship in the springtime of your life, that beats what many of the rest of us have been able to accomplish.

You are so right. I feel very lucky.

JanJan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Dec 2011, 8:47 pm

Surfman wrote:
I'm 48 too and Spock is a big hero of mine.

If your born in the year of the rabbit.... demure, retreative, conflict avoiding stuff is normal

Ha Ha, that is so me .... retreative and conflict avoiding. Unfortunately as rabbits we are also at the bottom of the food chain.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 12:08 am

i was born year of the rat, i thought THAT was at the bottom of the foodchain.