Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Dec 2011, 3:32 am

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Avatar has its roots in Hinduism. Here are three reasons why:

1. The word "Avatar"

In Hinduism an avatar is a deliberate descent of a deity to earth or a descent of the Supreme Being as an "appearance" or "manifestation" of such. In the following scene Jake's Avatar is established as some sort of mysterious "deity" who Neytiri believes to be special or different.

[img][800:559]http://stevenblair.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/avatar-grace2.jpg[/img]

With regards the "descent of the Supreme Being" Jake is part of the marines who, when compared with have Na'vi, have almost god-like powers. They destroyed their tree home with their superior firepower.

2. Blue skin

3. Reincarnation

[spoiler warning]
At the end of the film Jake is transferred entirely into his avatar with the aid of the Tree thereby becoming reincarnated as the Avatar.
[/spoiler warning]

Last edited by kxmode on 22 Dec 2011, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 5:40 am

I wish I knew more about hinduism. But I always thought Avatar (the film) had its roots in paganism and worship of nature.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 7:03 am

kxmode wrote:
Worth noting: Jake is part of the marines who, when compared with have Na'vi, have almost god-like powers.

Not so much. The na'vi are incredibly super strong monstrosities, while them marines needed mechs to even deal with them.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 8:43 am

Hummmm. The blue skin is mostly limited to Lord Shiva, just fyi. If you read about it, it's because he drank the poison that the demons (or somesuch) had prepared and he hold it in his throat with a snake laced around it. <.< you don't see Ganesh, Hanuman, Parvati, Lakshmi or any of the other Hindu dieties as blue, do you? ^.- Bit more information there : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halahala

The other blue skinned creatures from Hindu that I can think of would be Apsaras, which are water nymphs, akin to greek nereids, so it would make sense for them to actually be blue. <.< (picture taken from the Shin Megami Tensei wiki)

Also, do note that the Tree here acts as a medium, as there would be no way for him to otherwise reincarnate or rather "transmigrate" his soul into another's body. Whereas, the way I perceive it, reincarnation and the cycle of lives are independant from nature. =/ Otherwise, I'll grant you the rest, as it seems fairly accurate.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Dec 2011, 11:40 am

Robdemanc wrote:
I wish I knew more about hinduism. But I always thought Avatar (the film) had its roots in paganism and worship of nature.

It does. Most religions in the world come from a single source because virtually all of them have common doctrines. I wrote more about that here: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp4229548.html#4229548

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 1:28 pm

kxmode wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:

It does. Most religions in the world come from a single source because virtually all of them have common doctrines. I wrote more about that here: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp4229548.html#4229548

I just read your other post. Interesting but not sure what you say is the common source.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 1:31 pm

I have yet to see Avator.

8O

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Dec 2011, 3:19 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
kxmode wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:

I just read your other post. Interesting but not sure what you say is the common source.

"Not merely Egyptians, Chaldeans, Phoenicians, Greeks and Romans, but also the Hindus, the Buddhists of China and of Thibet, the Goths, Anglo-Saxons, Druids, Mexicans and Peruvians, the Aborigines of Australia, and even the savages of the South Sea Islands, must have all derived their religious ideas from a common source and a common centre. Everywhere we find the most startling coincidences in rites, ceremonies, customs, traditions, and in the names and relations of their respective gods and goddesses." - The Worship of the Dead, London, 1904, page 3, by John Garnier

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 5:09 pm

Robdemanc wrote:

The Hindus have 36,000,000 gods. Lots of fun.

ruveyn

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 6:37 pm

Hindi gods are more like the Marvel Super Hero comics of their time.

Brahna, Vishnu, etc are the X-men.

Then among the 36000 we have so many super villains.

There is an epic world war arc in which tons and tons of gods battle and earth suffers tons of side effects.

Seriously, it is awesome.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 6:55 pm

That water nymph picture makes me feel some lust.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 7:06 pm

snapcap wrote:
I have yet to see Avator.

8O

Same here. I'm in no rush.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 7:10 pm

It is not worth seeing it now that theaters are not airing it in 3D, really.

The plot is generic as hell. The only thing that is worth it (And very well worth it) is the visual festival that is accomplished through correct 3d usage and tons and tons of color and action.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 11:09 pm

The scenario has been hailed as being similar to Disney's Pocahontas. <.< With the whole concept of the "good savage". <.<

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 11:12 pm

It was way too hyped for me too like, it wouldn't have met my expectations. I might like it when I accidentally stumble on it on TV.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 12:21 am

The film used the iconography of Hinduism. The Vatican hated this film. They were worried that it promoted pantheism,paganism, and nature worship.
It also had political themes like anti-America,imperialism,militarism and social themes like civilization,race,property,and environment. It was James Cameron's protest against the corruption of imperialist America,war in the mid-east and the bush administration.
The film was average and over-hyped. The special effects were the only reason why I watched the entire film.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright