Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

jcull
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Dec 2011, 10:39 am

I am a doctoral student at Widener University in the social work program. My dissertation topic is on the social experience of college students with Asperger's Syndrome. I have prepared a questionnaire to ask questions about the social experience of college. Participation in this research will provide valuable information about the experience of students with Asperger’s Syndrome in college and give service providers a better picture of what kind of social experience students with Asperger’s Syndrome want and need.

There are several ways of participating in this research. You can complete an online survey, you can be interviewed or you can participate in a focus group. If you would like to be a part of this research please contact the researcher:

Jennifer Cullen, L.S.W
Email: [email protected]
Phone number:610-842-4439

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 10:43 am

How much will you pay for our participation?

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 11:37 am

Fnord wrote:

You have to "pay" people to be in your research??? I wouldn't expect that. I am going to aim for a Master's myself but I expect people to help me out for the cause of getting my degree. I'd personally never pay you to be part of my research. That's silly! :-)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2011, 3:34 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
Fnord wrote:
You have to "pay" people to be in your research??? I wouldn't expect that. I am going to aim for a Master's myself but I expect people to help me out for the cause of getting my degree. I'd personally never pay you to be part of my research. That's silly! :-)

1. Paying people to perform a task for your benefit is the basis of a fair and just economy; anything less is exploitation.

2. While anything worth doing is worth doing well; anything worth doing well is worth being paid well to do.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 5:32 am

I would participate but I live in the United Kingdom so I don't think my answers would be relevant towards what you are looking for.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2011, 11:02 am

Fnord wrote:
zeldapsychology wrote:
Fnord wrote:

1. Paying people to perform a task for your benefit is the basis of a fair and just economy; anything less is exploitation.

2. While anything worth doing is worth doing well; anything worth doing well is worth being paid well to do.

I second this. Most of us are stressed about finances, pay up lol.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 4:37 pm

I can help you with your research right now.

There is no social experience for students with aspergers in college. It is social isolation.
College and the feelings of social isolation caused me depression and panic attacks.
It was impossible for me to finish because of this.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 6:10 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Paid research isnt usually cash out of the researchers pocket - it usually comes as a grant for their project which they can use to reimburse participants for their time.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

jcull
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jan 2012, 4:04 pm

Really great points about paid research. I am afraid that I do not have a grant for this research. My interest in the subject comes from some work I have done in helping college students who have been diagnosed with Asperger's. I agree that I would like to pay people to be part of the research but it is a generally annonymous survey unless people provide contact info for an interview. I know that compenasation of "for the sake of knowledge sake" doesn't pay the bills but it is all I have....sorry.

NiMing
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Jan 2012, 1:02 am

zeldapsychology wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Mkay', you don't want to pay anyone for their time.

That's fine.

And I won't spend my time on a someone else's silly school project unless I'm compensated for it.

Sound fair? :)

faerie_queene87
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2012, 10:24 am

Guys, this is not just a school project, but a doctoral thesis. If this research turns out successful, it is going to be published (doctoral theses have a good chance to) and might be helpful to people in the spectrum. That should be a sufficient motivator.
I'd find appropriate to get paid if it was some pharmaceutical company running a survey, but a student? Come on.

Research is only good as the data on which it is based on, and the more data, the better. And I have experienced myself that it can be damn frustrating to get it. I'd participate myself if I satisfied the requirements.

jcull
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2012, 10:40 am

Thanks for your understanding. I get that people want to be compensated for their time. But here is where I am coming from...I work in a program to support students with disabilities, specifically I work with a few students on the spectrum and what I have started to wonder about is are the services out there really the services people on the spectrum want or need especially when it comes to social experiences so when I started my dissertation I thought it would be a great way to give a voice to what the perspective of people who are actually on the spectrum think or want when it comes to the social life of college. If you would like to take the survey the link is posted below it would probably only take about 10-15 minutes. Thank YOU!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Student_ ... rspectives

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 7:40 pm

It took me only five- it's hardly too much to ask of people.
Thank you very much, for your research and inviting us to participate in it!

to his Interest."

jcull
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jan 2012, 3:16 pm

Thanks so much for participating! I have been getting some great feedback! I think that this study could really bring alot to light about what people on the spectrum really think and want! Thanks again!