Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

mom77
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Dec 2011, 7:45 am

hi
I posted this question also in the parents section because my son is involved, but maybe this question belongs here.
My 16 year old daughter was recently diagnosed, and informally the rest of the family. I'm positive that I am an undiagnosed Aspie, and all 5 of my children show Aspie traits.
My son is 18 and is going into the army in March (mandatory draft where I live).
He has many, many aspie traits, but is deeply insulted by the idea of getting evaluated.

Have any Aspie men here completed military service? If so, how did Asperger's affect your service?

His motor skills are good, but I'm concerned his judgement may be bit off, and be a danger to himself and others.

Any success stories??
thanks!

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2011, 8:40 am

Many posters here have served. I spent 5 years in the U.S Army and am in the reserves now. How your son will do honestly depends on him, like his ability to handle stress, get along with different types of people and make quick decisions. If he can get through basic training, then the rest of his time should be fine.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2011, 2:25 pm

Mom77, I served four years in the US Navy in the early eighties, before there was such a diagnosis as AS. I will agree with the other poster that a lot of your son's success will depend on him. But if his social deficits are as severe as mine were, he probably won't have an easy time of it. He will be seen as different, and will have to spend a lot of time defending himself.

I served in intelligence, as I knew that would limit the number of people I would be working with. I did very well when I was let alone to do things as I was able, and my superiors generally recognized this. At my last ship (I was right outside of Beirut harbor when all of those Marines got blown up) only one senior enlisted man had my clearance, and only a handful of the officers. If they couldn't enter my workspace, it made it a lot easier to get along.

The one thing I did while I was in was save almost every dime I made. It was the best decision I ever made.

Sunshine7
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Dec 2011, 4:12 pm

No need to worry too much about the judgement thing; the military has SOPs for everything, up to and including where and how to pee (keep one hand on each gun).

Unless he makes officer, where snap judgements are crucial.

mom77

24 Dec 2011, 11:10 am

thanks!