Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Rob-N4RPS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2011, 12:43 am

Hello, Fellow Aspies.

Having read this story online, I think it's GREAT that someone is featuring the issues we deal with daily, just because of who we are. I wish those Jack and Kirsten all the best.

Here's the link,and I'm looking for comments:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/26/us/na ... _LO_MST_FB

It'll be interesting to see some of your comments and opinions.

Have A great Day!

Rob

WhiteWidow
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 12:54 am

They're lucky to have met one another. It gives me hope that I'll be able to meet someone who is also autistic.

Buttersboy142
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Dec 2011, 1:35 am

I almost cried at work when I read that. I could totally relate to them. I actually sent them my own experiences. More people should do that.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 1:41 am

:) Very nice surprise to see Jack and Kirsten on the front page of nytimes.com. (#1 most viewed article today, in fact.)

Jack, Kirsten, if you're reading this, thank you both so much for sharing your stories. It's great to know there are others in this world who will not be intimidated by liquid crystal displays ;) Happy holidays and best wishes to the three of you.

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2011, 2:01 am

It's a good article that explains much of how Aspies are, without sensationalizing it, or making us seem like total weirdos.

DreamSofa
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Dec 2011, 3:58 am

I read that article and was thrilled for both of them. It was nice to see Aspies profiled in a sensitive way - we're not all asocial or unable to have or form or want romantic involvements.

I am looking forward to reading the next article in the series.

Oh - and best of luck to the happy couple! May you have a long and happy relationship!

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 4:41 am

interesting arcticle.i lived in amherst mass for some time and i know where rao's coffee shop is.very good coffee actualy

Rhiannon0828
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2011, 9:03 am

What a great article! Thanks, Kirsten and Jack, for sharing a look into your lives to help people understand more about what it's like to be autistic.

hyperlexian
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Dec 2011, 5:47 pm

i have mixed feelings after reading the article. to me, they don't really sound happy together.

Bat_For_Lashes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Dec 2011, 6:32 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
i have mixed feelings after reading the article. to me, they don't really sound happy together.

I concur. Not impressed, doesn't sound like a very healthy relationship at all.

The whole article sounds it was written because "my daddy's famous, and I want to be famous too" - and viola, a profile in the New York Times. (I mean, really, would an ordinary couple on the spectrum get the same treatment. Doubtful.)

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:43 pm

Quote:
- and viola, a profile in the New York Times. (I mean, really, would an ordinary couple on the spectrum get the same treatment. Doubtful.)

I actually saw something on Good Morning America that profiled the relationship between an autistic man and woman. But I do agree that this is usually how it is with most things. Viola.

hyperlexian
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Dec 2011, 6:43 pm

Bat_For_Lashes i feel better that i am not alone in my impressions (though i dunno about the famous dad part - i can't speak to the motivations). i wasn't sure if i should even say anything as i don't feel too great about the relationship from the article and i don't want to attack them in any way. it just seems like there is an uneasy alliance there.

Bat_For_Lashes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Dec 2011, 6:56 pm

It's an article in an extremely prolific publication (one of the most well-known newspapers in the world) If one agrees to let themselves be portrayed in such a venue, you have to accept that you will invite some sort of criticism - be it good or bad.

GMA and the NYT are two different media outlets though, and it's like comparing apples to oranges. Of course, when you are backed by an organization such as Autism Speaks, you can probably push your way into any journalistic platform you desire. (considering that they seem to have a monopoly on the media when it comes to anything autism)

This would be a good example to bring up in an mass communications/media relations course actually.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 7:01 pm

Ah, I see.
I wasn't sure if you were talking about national attention being drawn to an autistic couple or what. I see now, though. I actually don't know exactly what I was originally thinking.

Quote:
Of course, when you are backed by an organization such as Autism Speaks, you can probably push your way into any journalistic platform you desire. (considering that they seem to have a monopoly on the media when it comes to anything autism)

I totally agree with this.

hyperlexian
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Dec 2011, 7:04 pm

it would have been nice if they had looked around the forum for a true success story (i have seen a few that resulted in LTRs or marriage) instead of just defaulting to using the Autism Talk TV spokespeople. i imagine this entire thing was arranged through alex, so i guess it would make sense he would use his cohorts.