Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 1:27 pm

A few years ago, there was an eppisode of a TV show were autistic kids are missing, but a month later they are returned and they are more higher functning. It turns out they were involved in an expirmental brain surgery. One girl was nonverbal but also had synesthesia
and used color to express numbers. I am going crazy trying to find out what show this was from. I was thinking maybe Numb3rs but after browsing through eppisode guides, I'm starting to think it was another show.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 11:36 am

Hello? Can someone please help me figure this out?

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 1:08 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:

Need more info.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 5:35 pm

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:

Need more info.

Did you even read the first post?

MagicMeerkat wrote:
A few years ago, there was an eppisode of a TV show were autistic kids are missing, but a month later they are returned and they are more higher functning. It turns out they were involved in an expirmental brain surgery. One girl was nonverbal but also had synesthesia
and used color to express numbers. I am going crazy trying to find out what show this was from. I was thinking maybe Numb3rs but after browsing through eppisode guides, I'm starting to think it was another show.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 7:10 pm

Hello?

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 10:27 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
Hello?

Asked for more info and you were rude in response. What you provided wasn't really enough to even start looking. Unless you know EXACTLY what the show is, it's impossible to tell from that discription.

Asking yourself these questions may help you describe it in future:

Was it a cartoon or were there real actors?
Was it one episode that involved the autistic color by numbers girl or was it a whole series? If it's only a single episode as your post suggests, describing the other episodes may help. Or if you've only seen one episode that's fine. Use your best guess.
How exactly did she use color to express numbers and what was the overall purpose/idea of the show.
When was the show likely to have been produced? Is it new or pretty old? Or ancient?

Makes it easier to look into that way. In any case it's not a show I've seen personally but google could have brought something to light. Who knows?

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 6:25 am

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:
Hello?

Asked for more info and you were rude in response. What you provided wasn't really enough to even start looking. Unless you know EXACTLY what the show is, it's impossible to tell from that discription.

Was it one episode that involved the autistic color by numbers girl or was it a whole series? If it's only a single episode as your post suggests, describing the other episodes may help. Or if you've only seen one episode that's fine. Use your best guess.
How exactly did she use color to express numbers and what was the overall purpose/idea of the show.
When was the show likely to have been produced? Is it new or pretty old? Or ancient?

Makes it easier to look into that way. In any case it's not a show I've seen personally but google could have brought something to light. Who knows?

It was a live action show. I think it came out around 2003 or 2004. I don't remember the exavt year. I can't describe the other eppisodes becuase I've never watched the show before or since. I think it may have been Numb3rs, or at least was in that genera. But whenever I check the eppisode guides for Numb3rs, I can't find it, so I'm thinking it was another show. The conclusion was something like just because she didn't speak, didn't mean she couldn't communicate. She used color to do so.

nat4200
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 7:10 am

Redacted

Last edited by nat4200 on 19 Apr 2012, 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 7:53 am

If you remember what the main cast looks like and you're sure it's a crime show you can fairly easily look up the cast of such shows from that general period of time. It's difficult to search for it because there are thousands of shows like that with thousands of random episodes.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 10:11 am

nat4200 wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:
The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:
Hello?

It was a live action show. I think it came out around 2003 or 2004. I don't remember the exavt year. I can't describe the other eppisodes becuase I've never watched the show before or since. I think it may have been Numb3rs, or at least was in that genera. But whenever I check the eppisode guides for Numb3rs, I can't find it, so I'm thinking it was another show. The conclusion was something like just because she didn't speak, didn't mean she couldn't communicate. She used color to do so.

I kind of thought your original post comparing the show to "Numb3rs" (damn it, it kills me to use the number 3 like that... grrr) did make it clear that it was a live action show, etc.

I don't know the show you are describing but I think there is a small chance it may have been an episode of "Fringe" as children being kidnapped by a rogue scientist for experimental brain surgery would be a fairly typical episode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia_in_fiction
Mentions two scifi shows with synesthesia (neither of which I watch) being Heroes and Alphas (the former character is deaf according to the article, so possibly that may have made them seem somewhat non-verbal).

Final stretch, in addition to sounding vaguely plausible as a description of a Fringe ep, similarly it might possibly be from the X-Files or a show in that style.

Also, while this won't help me to help you, it might bit the bit extra that helps someone else: maybe you could explain what it was about the episode in question that was so memorable to you / has made you want to seek the show out? (ie. any additional info might help someone recognise the show, and I figure you can probably elaborate on this part further...)

It wasn't X-Files. The only reason I remember it because it talked about autism. I wanted to see it again becuase I was looking for things to watch on Netflicks. Several autistic kids were kidnaped, only to apear a month later. Although they weren't "cured", their parents could tell there was something diffrent about them. The scientist who was doing them wanted to try and find a way to "cure" his own son who aparently had something called "Heller's Syndrome". That's all I can remember. I also remember comments about one of the dectectives having AS traits...another reason why my first guess was Numb3rs. I'm going to look into Fringe now.

Perfect Storm, I'm sorry. I did not mean to come off as rude.

I don't think it was Fringe either. I don't even think that show was around at the time and at that time, I don't think I could sit through an eppiosode of a show like that. It's just too weird. From what I remember they didn't really go into detail about the brain surgery in the show I'm thinking of, the emphasis was on finding the kids.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 8:42 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:

No problem. Thanks for apologising.

MagicMeerkat wrote:
something called "Heller's Syndrome"

Eleventh Hour. Episode four; Savant. I think this is the one.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 10:27 am

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:

No problem. Thanks for apologising.

MagicMeerkat wrote:
something called "Heller's Syndrome"

Eleventh Hour. Episode four; Savant. I think this is the one.

That does sound very famaliar. *off to go look it up* I bet Netflicks dosen't have it.

Nebulo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 10:42 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw58GSnisTo[/youtube]

Based on the descriptions I doubt it could be anything else... Here's a scene explaining savants in case it's not on Netflix.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 9:39 pm

Nebulo wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw58GSnisTo[/youtube]

Based on the descriptions I doubt it could be anything else... Here's a scene explaining savants in case it's not on Netflix.

I'm pretty sure that's what it was. THANKS A MILLION!

jstrewth
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2012, 3:51 pm

Sounds kind of like The 4400, but I think that show involved aliens. Never watched it, but my mom did.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 11:04 pm

Definitely NOT Numb3rs.

Way too Sci-Fi and fantastic for that show which is your basic mean streets dective show with an interesting math-geek slant.

Couldnt tell you what it was.

Unless maybe it was that new show I tried to tape last week but somehow messed up and failed to tape.

That Fox show starring Keiffer Sutherland as a dad with a strange autistic-like little boy who is obsessed with number patterns but never speaks. But the kid - ends up saving the
World or something. Im curious about this show Im talking about- was it one shot? Or a new series? Forget what the title was.

Probably not the same show your looking for but they both have autistic angle.