CWA
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 2:54 pm

Budfarmer wrote:
CWA wrote:
Budfarmer wrote:
Your score: 14

About what I expected. I'm weird... if I talk about anything important to me, I tear up and cry... but I don't have any real empathy for the masses. I absolutely abhor the sound of kissing on stupid television shows. And "dramatic" scenes in movies/TV just really put me off... I think "wow, how lame!"

Agreed. Nothing worse than a chick flick!

Agreed. Although I am technically a "chick"... But I'd much rather watch The Transporter than The Notebook.

I am also techinically a "chick" and ditto that. Nothing more boring than a mushy movie. Yawn and barf. My husband is a hppy man when it comes time to pick out a movie, we almost never argue.

iSpy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2012, 6:06 pm

Your score: 8 :twisted:

PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jul 2012, 6:21 pm

Nine? O_o

I knew my empathy skills weren't great, but wow..

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 6:24 pm

It would seem that aspie is another word for psychopath 8O

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 7:50 pm

Quote:
I don't know that this is particularly a good "empathy" test so much as a test with empathy-related questions (some tenuously so) that autistic people tend to score low on. It makes no clear distinction between affective and cognitive empathy, for example, and some of the questions are too vague or otherwise problematic in ways I can't seem to explain this very moment.

Rachel Cohen-Rottenberg did a multi-part, comprehensove criticism of this test, which I highly recommend:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Last Part

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 12:09 am

Ettina wrote:
Quote:
I don't know that this is particularly a good "empathy" test so much as a test with empathy-related questions (some tenuously so) that autistic people tend to score low on. It makes no clear distinction between affective and cognitive empathy, for example, and some of the questions are too vague or otherwise problematic in ways I can't seem to explain this very moment.
Rachel Cohen-Rottenberg did a multi-part, comprehensove criticism of this test, which I highly recommend: http://www.journeyswithautism.com/2011/08/06/8829/

I will just bump my own post incase it was missed :)
Blownmind wrote:
I took this test a few months ago, and scored a 7 ! However, other tests have proved me deficient in some areas of empathy, but more than sufficient in others. >>> I recommend the IRI test instead. <<<

IRI-empathytest
PT: 10(-7 from avg)
EC: 16(-3 from avg)
FS: 19(+3 from avg)
PD: 19(+10 from avg)

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 5:22 am

I scored 2. I'm not surprised because I know of the massive empathy problems I have, from past testing and things that psychs told me, and all that.

Many questions on that test brought up a lot of vivid memories, some such as torturing worms and slugs (using salt) and other animals (including mammals), because I liked/was interested in watching their reaction. For the most part, I don't even harm a fly now. Only bug I really kill on sight is mosquitos, and I'm sorry, but if something is trying to eat me, I'm going to kill it (and I kill them as fast as possible, so no suffering on their part, just SPLAT).

I did not realize at all, as a child, that these things were feeling pain as a result of what I was doing to them. I feel bad about it now, but that was the past and I did not know any better. I make up for it now by treating all animals as nicely as I can. I'm my cat's favorite person, and he has 3 people to choose from.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 5:29 am

Blownmind wrote:
I took this test a few months ago, and scored a 7 ! However, other tests have proved me deficient in some areas of empathy, but more than sufficient in others. >>> I recommend the IRI test instead. <<<

Blownmind wrote:
IRI-empathytest

How/where can one take this test?

Last edited by Atomsk on 07 Jul 2012, 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Didgeeeee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jul 2012, 6:10 am

My score: 16

I thought that I would score higher, since I am a woman.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 9:46 am

Atomsk wrote:
Blownmind wrote:

Blownmind wrote:
IRI-empathytest

How/where can one take this test?

Unfortunately it is not an online test, but you can view a document and score it yourself it. It's only 28 questions, so it's not that much work. :wink:
http://www.eckerd.edu/academics/psychol ... 0Index.doc (source: http://www.eckerd.edu/academics/psychology/iri.php , link below the article)

Quote:
Perspective Taking (PT) scale measures the reported tendency to spontaneously adopt the psychological point of view of others in everyday life
Empathic Concern (EC) scale assesses the tendency to experience feelings of sympathy and compassion for unfortunate others
Fantasy (FS) scale measures the tendency to imaginatively transpose oneself into fictional situations
Personal Distress (PD) scale taps the tendency to experience distress and discomfort in response to extreme distress in others

What this basicly says about me and empathy is that I feel others pain very strongly. If I see someone bump their head, I feel it too. If someone gets a ball smashed into their face, I feel the pain on my nose and I get tears in my eyes because of that insane pain. I scored 10 above average on Personal Distress (PD). Empathic Concern (EC) and Fantasy (FS) are pluss/minus 3 from average, so nothing too out of the ordinary there, but Perspective Taking (PT) was 7 below average, which basicly is the "Theory of Mind"-score for those of you who have heard about that.

So, knowing this, I get really frustrated everytime someone insinuates that Aspies don't have empathy. ..sure, according to the EQ test we score low, but the research Ettina linked to explains indepth why it is so wrong for people on the spectrum to take that test. Not having empathy is a hard myth to bust..

Yello
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jul 2013, 3:34 pm

I got a 3 :/ i didnt think i was that bad, ive certainly improved a lot since i was little, but i wasnt a friggin sociopath D:

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 3:38 pm

I had alredy done this before and I got 7.

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jul 2013, 4:06 pm

I did the quiz and all I got was an error that needed debugging [grumble] and a whole lot of associated programming gobbldegook about handles [whine]. I hate it when I take the time to do a quiz [moan] and then it turns to manure on me [sigh].

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 4:29 pm

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ExecuteNonQuery requires an open and available Connection. The connection's current state is closed.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: ExecuteNonQuery requires an open and available Connection. The connection's current state is closed.

I think that's a fail...

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jul 2013, 4:33 pm

GregCav wrote:
Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ExecuteNonQuery requires an open and available Connection. The connection's current state is closed.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: ExecuteNonQuery requires an open and available Connection. The connection's current state is closed.

I think that's a fail...

Yes, the website is not showing empathy.

JTJTJT
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Oct 2013, 8:11 am

Hello all just doing some tests in prep for my assessment and I scored a 2 on the EQ test, is this actually such a rare score or are there any others that have had very low ones.