Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

glenna74
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Dec 2011, 2:29 pm

Background: I'm 37 and an aspie. I'm married to an aspie. We have 2 children, both of whom are aspies. (all of us with actual diagnoses) I really love reading first person accounts of adults living on the spectrum. The authors in the books I've read all seem to have done something great, whether it's starting OASIS, or a car repair centre, etc.

I want to write a book about my experiences with growing up "different", later discovering it's aspergers, and my journey into marriage and children. But I haven't got a business. I'm one of the folks who doesn't thrive at work. And although writing the book ultimately would be for me, it having some sort of niche market, or appeal would be a bonus.

Does it sound super boring because there is no "turn your quirks into a job" ending? Or is the average story of an average aspie interesting enough on its own?

I'm just looking for a little feedback.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2011, 2:52 pm

Glenna, as a librarian we used to say in pre-Internet days that freedom of the press is for those who can afford to own one. That's not true anymore, even though getting something published by a mainstream publisher will present a formidable challenge. What I'm getting at is that you can publish your book just by putting it out on the Internet.

Even though I'm a big-time reader, I just don't get what attracts normal people. Good luck on that one.

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 12:14 am

You just need an angle for how you are trying to express your story. Your angle might not be "look at my really cool autism success story of how I founded blah blah blah", but you will need to take the author on some kind of journey guided by a key purpose which guides what you choose to include and talk about. People like things to have a point instead of simply being an extensive autobiographical monologue, that can become boring to the reader. Maybe look at different relationships over your life or something like that? Hope you find a cool idea. All the best.

Tori

Edit: The idea of a whole family of aspies may be an interesting unique selling point for you to write and market around. maybe look at the unique opportunities, challenges and other differences that brings, what makes your family like other families and what makes it different etc...

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

glenna74

30 Dec 2011, 12:45 am

Yes! I will think of angles!

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 3:51 am

I agree with mudandstars. A family of 4, ALL diagnosed with AS, that by itself is a great story! How do you all function together? The challenges you face together, the challenges you give each other, and the challenges you face alone... Sounds like a set up for a real inspiring book for AS's and NT's alike. Im not as interested in using my uniqueness to make money as i am in the complexities of human relationships and how to understand them better, or obtain hope that ill improve that way someday, and would love to read your family's story. Start typing, because I want to buy one.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

glenna74

31 Dec 2011, 9:59 am

Aharon, I was talking about this with my husband last night and it's really very interesting, our story. I think. Had our backgrounds been different we likely wouldn't have met or felt the strong connection we did. It's a powerful thing, the feeling of being so "outside" and "alone" and "different" and to find someone who feels the exact same way. We are each others calm in a swirling sea of misunderstandings.

I am aware we must look like the most bizarre, eccentric family in town, but who cares? :-)

MsMarginalized
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 7:13 pm

WOW, Glenna74; I would LOVE to read your story!

I also feel like I have a book just waiting to happen...not JUST my AS; although it will be a major part. Good luck to ya!

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 2:16 am

I was planning to write a book from couple of days....i wanted to write a fiction book
since i have very good fantasy thinking
anyways i guess you should start writing it would be a good idea...