Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 1:41 pm

Guineapigged wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Maybe alex should add a new rule, no talking down about the self diagnosed or no critical comments about it or and no questioning about the self diagnosed members.

I don't think that's fair at all. Self-diagnosis IS questionable (hence the frequent debates about it); banning people from expressing that view isn't going to make it go away. If anything, it will just mean that people become MORE irked about it because they are denied the freedom to discuss it. Making it punishable to say anything negative about self-diagnosis is a step too far in my opinion, and would make another group of us feel shunned and unwelcome.

Official diagnoses is also questionable........that being said I do not think there should be a rule against criticizing or questioning self diagnoses open discussion should be welcome. However, I dont think people should be talked down to for being self diagnosed but I think personal attacks are already against the rules so that's probably covered.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 1:44 pm

Phonic wrote:
Sweatleaf doesn't clarify anything. If the poll had said your suggestions it wouldn't have been so vague.

That there's any debate at all over the meaning of the poll should tell you that it's problematic.

My poll might have sucked....basically I was wondering if people here felt self diagnosed people should be welcome or not, but I guess I can see how if someone felt self diagnosed people where unwelcome but wanted them to be welcome they might have voted no.

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 1:56 pm

What I think Sweetleaf was trying to say regarding the poll is that Sweetleaf saw 2 possible ways to take it as worded:

1. Do you personally welcome the idea of self-diagnosed folk posting here?

2. Do you think that, in general, this community welcomes the idea of self-diagnosed folk posting here?

Two completely different interpretations, I feel. And both valid from the way the poll was written.