Constructive criticism versus antagonism.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 7:57 pm

Has anyone else dealt with people who somehow actually believe they're offering "constructive criticism" while they just plain aren't? Telling people, "you need to do this" or otherwise talk about every little nit they can find and then bring up Proverbs about how only a fool doesn't listen to advice? Such as the general public issuing advice to bellringers, like, "It's cold outside, so you need to go inside!". Sorry, that advice would cause a bellringer to lose their work since they are stationed outside. Or politicians telling poor people they need to buy more fuel efficient vehicles when they can barely afford to pay rent each month. That type of advice is worthless and properly unable to be followed because it is the advice of fools who feel wise when they tell others what to do.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 1:26 am

Constructive criticism is usually asked for, rather than freely given. Also, it offers real and usable advice as to how to change things for the better. Being antagonistic towards another is often merely point out what they're doing wrong and offering either no suggestions as to how to improve or worse by offering awful offal suggestions that are not only unusable but even sometimes harmful if actually implemented.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 1:39 am

I've had somebody do that to me a few years ago. They were trying to train me not to talk about my special interest at the time. I became less and less responsive as the PMs became more antagonistic. The friendship ended on a bad note and I've turned against society for a couple of years, which was the wrong way to deal with it. I've been more of the Message Board type than the PM type here ever since that incident in 2007.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 2:41 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I've had somebody do that to me a few years ago. They were trying to train me not to talk about my special interest at the time. I became less and less responsive as the PMs became more antagonistic. The friendship ended on a bad note and I've turned against society for a couple of years, which was the wrong way to deal with it. I've been more of the Message Board type than the PM type here ever since that incident in 2007.

That stinks. I've only been here since August of 2007, but if I remember correctly you were into the two storey buses. Those are cool.