Page 1 of 9 [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 6:58 pm

For me, it is mired in fuzzy idealism and Unfortunate Implications. The conceit all adoptive parents are saints doesn't click with me, because in my book, what selflessness is there on this f*****g planet? As a species, we're motivated entirely by self-interest; any kindness or sincerity are theatrics. That human beings could waste their money and patience to get their hands on a child to cover for their insecurities is pathetic.

Face it. You guys have been watching to much Juno.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 7:15 pm

You forgot that one of the most common reasons people adopt is infertility.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Sep 2011, 7:46 pm

I'm cynical about biological parents. Why would they chose to bring a kid into this overpopulated world?

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 8:06 pm

My best friend was adopted and he's very happy to be alive. Both him and I are Pro-Life.

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 8:35 pm

nick007 wrote:
I'm cynical about biological parents. Why would they chose to bring a kid into this overpopulated world?

This.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 10:18 pm

I'm cynical about cynical teenagers.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

sterfry
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 10:46 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
I'm cynical about cynical teenagers.

:lol:

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 11:21 pm

nick007 wrote:

I'd never adopt. My IQ is off the charts and near-perfect health runs in my family on both sides. Why would I ever want to deal with someone else's potentially problem-prone kid when mine would have a much higher chance to be smarter and healthier?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 11:50 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
My best friend was adopted and he's very happy to be alive. Both him and I are Pro-Life.

Similarly, my dad was adopted by my Nana's second husband, and my Nana herself as well as my Grammy (my mom's mom) were adopted. I don't know about my grandparents, but both my parents and I are pro-life. In fact, if my mom wasn't pro-life, I would not be here today because I tested positive for Down's Syndrome while I was in her womb and the doctor gave her the option to abort me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 1:04 am

I am for adoption because not everyone can have kids.

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 2:59 am

I am for adoption for kids without parents, intercountry adoptions bug me when celebrities like Madonna adopt a kid who isn't even an orphan and has a parent who would look after them if they could.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 8:08 pm

nick007 wrote:

+ 1

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 8:21 pm

I had to google "Juno" perhaps you could have said Webster or Different Strokes (bit before your time) confirmed by Mother it was fashionable back in the late 70's or early 80's to adopt black children what colour do the Jones family go for these days Asian perhaps?

Ps I love cynical teenagers you remind me of me at your age , and yes you will grow up to be a cynical adult :D

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 8:42 pm

Obres wrote:
nick007 wrote:

I'd never adopt. My IQ is off the charts and near-perfect health runs in my family on both sides. Why would I ever want to deal with someone else's potentially problem-prone kid when mine would have a much higher chance to be smarter and healthier?

I have the opposite issue. Although I would like to raise kids someday, I have no particular attachment to my own DNA. Although we all tend to be long-lived, heart disease, liver failure, severe allergies and cancer run in my family. I don't want my kid to have to deal with these. To me, having a child for the mere purpose of making a copy of myself would be selfish.

Although, at the same time, I think I would really like my boyfriend's babies... and I don't think I'd like him having them with someone else

And so for the time being I remain undecided.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 6:36 pm

Let me guess your adopted ?

Pageognat
Raven
Raven

28 Sep 2011, 9:53 pm

I'm adopted and I love my adoptive family (I'd probably love my biological family, too, but I have no memory of them). Adoption is a great thing. Btw, I'm pro-choice.