Page 5 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Hazelwudi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2006, 3:25 am

sociable_hermit wrote:
Well you're not very judgemental, are you?

I prefer to think of it as not being too spineless to tell it how it is. While they're at it, why don't they make a shallow mockery of other diseases too, in the name of some pathetic, shallow bid for attention? They ought to get some attention, alright... with ballbats.

There's plenty of people out there who might make the occasional off-colored joke about certain diseases.... but turning mockery of a disease into a goddamn lifestyle? No, I simply can't accept that.

I mean, what next? Are bored, spoiled and perfectly healthy teens going to shave themselves bald, starve themselves to rail-thinness, lay around all the time and complain of having no energy, pop pills, and write bad, fatalistic poetry about the terminal cancer they don't have?

It would be in about as good a taste. :roll:

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2006, 11:01 am

This is the only Emo I know:

Seriously, though... I'm probably way too old (44) for this question to be relevant. But I've also been accused of being cold, emotionless, unfeeling... which is rather the opposite of "emo", isn't it?

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2006, 3:46 pm

Hazelwudi -

Emo is a movement which has been hi-jacked by the media, who naturally seek to 'pigeon-hole' the bands and the people involved in order to make them easier to write about.

It is insulting enough to poke up with ignorant blanket generalisations from the press without having to cope with the same s**t from an Aspie who should know better. You'd be outraged if someone started a topic here which went - "Aspies: bloody hell, what a bunch of losers! They're all lazy, miserable, ugly sods with no fashion sense. I'm sure they only do it to ridicule people who are genuinely mentally ill!".

"Emo" comes from emotional i.e. a willingness to be open about emotions, both good and band. The 'emo' music scene partly came about as a reaction to the aggression and superficial egotism of some rap and nu-metal bands. Emo has links to the punk movement, to grunge, to folk music and to 'alternative' bands such as Weezer and Pavement.

Some emo fans suffer from depression. Some emo fans are attention-seekers who pretend to suffer from depression. Some emo fans don't give a toss about depression and are perfectly happy, thanks very much. To say that ALL emo fans fit into a certain behavioural group is akin to saying that ALL Aspies obsess over red London double-decker buses.

And as for the "Hah, load of nonsense - just snap out of it!" tone of your post, well, I suggest you do the same about your Aspergers or Autism and then disappear from WP, if it's so bloody easy.

Emo is a very open-minded movement, and perhaps this acceptance of individual character traits, feelings and imperfections means that it attracts troubled people, or at least acknowledges them publicly rather than shoving them in a dark corner. But at least they're not sports jocks, lager louts, religious bigots, racists, homophobes etc.. Or at least, most of them aren't. It's significantly less likely I would say.

Hazelwudi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2006, 4:42 pm

Quote:
It is insulting enough to poke up with ignorant blanket generalisations from the press without having to cope with the same s**t from an Aspie who should know better.

I've formed my opinion as a result of extensive interaction with emos. I knew enough of them in college to fill just about any gym to standing room only, if you put them all together. So, if my observation offends you, that's just tough. The next time I see some whiny teenager who doesn't have any problems slitting their wrists with sissors... THE WRONG WAY... to get attention, I'm going to punch them. Hard.

It's even funnier when said people are biology majors, pre-med majors, nursing majors, etc... people who should know how to correctly slit their wrists as a result of academic knowledge, if nothing else. So in summary, you can run apologia for this BS all you like, but it's not going to cut any butter with me. Nor should you expect it to be effective on anyone else who has actually had to deal with these people, so why are you even bothering?

Quote:
You'd be outraged if someone started a topic here which went - "Aspies: bloody hell, what a bunch of losers! They're all lazy, miserable, ugly sods with no fashion sense. I'm sure they only do it to ridicule people who are genuinely mentally ill!".

People who have legitimate problems (aspies included) tend to work all their lives to develop some semblance of normalcy, so I fail to see how this is even relevant. Someone who legitimately has Asperger's (or depression, or any other condition) isn't a normal person trying to be as outre as they possibly can for pretentious "image" concerns.

I've often wondered as to the motivations of emos. If they think that making a lifestyle out of mocking a medical condition is "cool", it's obvious that they were not raised with appropriate moral values.

Quote:
"Emo" comes from emotional i.e. a willingness to be open about emotions, both good and band. The 'emo' music scene partly came about as a reaction to the aggression and superficial egotism of some rap and nu-metal bands. Emo has links to the punk movement, to grunge, to folk music and to 'alternative' bands such as Weezer and Pavement.

Some emo fans suffer from depression. Some emo fans are attention-seekers who pretend to suffer from depression. Some emo fans don't give a toss about depression and are perfectly happy, thanks very much. To say that ALL emo fans fit into a certain behavioural group is akin to saying that ALL Aspies obsess over red London double-decker buses.

That's all well and good, but it has grown beyond a music genre and into a lifestyle. I don't like most of the music... it's far too whiny for my taste... but I don't care if people listen to it. What really pisses me off is perfectly normal kids who don't know how lucky they really are thinking it's "cool" to simulate a debilitating disease like depression, even down to fake suicide attempts. This really pisses me off.

Quote:
And as for the "Hah, load of nonsense - just snap out of it!" tone of your post, well, I suggest you do the same about your Aspergers or Autism and then disappear from WP, if it's so bloody easy.

Pretty hard to snap out of something that's a legitimate disease... pretty damned easy to snap out of something that's just an act to start with...

Quote:
Emo is a very open-minded movement, and perhaps this acceptance of individual character traits, feelings and imperfections means that it attracts troubled people, or at least acknowledges them publicly rather than shoving them in a dark corner. But at least they're not sports jocks, lager louts, religious bigots, racists, homophobes etc.. Or at least, most of them aren't. It's significantly less likely I would say.

No, normally they're too busy changing their religion practically every month... one wonders how deeply they ever felt a connection to it to start with... f**king anything they can catch, whining over nonexistent problems, writing bad poetry, and slathering their affected, pretentious attitude all over everything they come into contact with to play a sport. And seeing as their whole lifestyle is an exercise in mocking others for what they can't help, wouldn't racist or homophobic remarks be redundant?

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2006, 5:46 pm

Given that "emo" people are supposedly against aggression, peer pressure, assumptions and social norms, I find it quite humourous that you're threatening (albeit metaphorically) to teach them a lesson with some direct physical violence.

Who is the danger here, exactly?

I still think you're making far too many assumptions. Ok, so there may be a lot of pseudo-emos at your school / college / University, but that doesn't give you the right to tar everybody world-wide with the same brush. For a start, how about all of the people who liked the music and lived the lifestyle because they genuinely identified with it, before the press turned it into a fashion scene? Secondly, how about the people who ARE genuinely depressed and have found a musical genre that can accomodate their feelings, in the same way that WP is a website which accomodates ours?

I think you've been unlucky in your experience of emos. Don't write everybody off on the basis of one particular set of people in one particular part of the world. You are inadvertantly putting down a lot of my friends, without good reason. You're also making a lot of assumptions about me based solely on my appreciation of one musical style, even though I like other music too.

Hazelwudi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2006, 6:47 pm

sociable_hermit wrote:
Given that "emo" people are supposedly against aggression, peer pressure, assumptions and social norms, I find it quite humourous that you're threatening (albeit metaphorically) to teach them a lesson with some direct physical violence.

Who is the danger here, exactly?

While that's a fine little bit of rhetoric, you're forgetting that some emos underestimate the lethality of their little suicidal gestures, resulting in their deaths. One wonders which is worse... being punched, or being a corpse?

All that aside, yes... making a lifestyle of mocking those who are legitimately suffering from a debilitating disease seriously pisses me off. It's completely, totally unacceptable. I mean, what the hell are they going to do, push little old ladies down stairs for an encore? No, that's not really their style.... smashing a fake blood capsule against their temple and laying down in an awkward position at the foot of the stairs claiming that they fell is more their style, now isn't it? :roll:

I seriously question your ideas that they're against "aggression, peer pressure, assumptions and social norms". Have you ever witnessed their verbal and social aggression against anyone who doesn't fit into their superficial little cliques? Have you ever witnessed them apply pressure to other teens to fit in to said superficial little cliques? Have you ever seen the assumptions they apply toward anyone who makes any effort to be normal whatsoever, or holds any even vaguely functional views on morality? Social norms are about the only thing they're against... well, until they get out into the work world and mysteriously morph into an average, well-adjusted person yet again. :roll:

Quote:
I still think you're making far too many assumptions. Ok, so there may be a lot of pseudo-emos at your school / college / University, but that doesn't give you the right to tar everybody world-wide with the same brush. For a start, how about all of the people who liked the music and lived the lifestyle because they genuinely identified with it, before the press turned it into a fashion scene? Secondly, how about the people who ARE genuinely depressed and have found a musical genre that can accomodate their feelings, in the same way that WP is a website which accomodates ours?

The genuinely depressed people I've known didn't have the inclination or energy to make such displays. They're usually either in therapy or taking medication for their disease and actively trying to heal, holed up in their rooms all day and have effectively dropped out of life, or turn up dead because they blew their brains out or swallowed a handful of pills with a vodka chaser. :(

I've seen too much of all three. The real deal. No pretentious, fakey crap. I've lost people to it. It's not a "cool" thing to have. It's not funny. It's not an excuse to pretend to be better than other people, or to f**k anything you can catch. It's a horrible, debilitating disease, a serious matter, and deserves to be treated as such.

Quote:
I think you've been unlucky in your experience of emos. Don't write everybody off on the basis of one particular set of people in one particular part of the world. You are inadvertantly putting down a lot of my friends, without good reason. You're also making a lot of assumptions about me based solely on my appreciation of one musical style, even though I like other music too.

Just because someone is a friend of yours shouldn't automatically mean you're blind to their faults. I could list off the faults of my own friends with encyclopediac accuracy. I'm friends with them in spite of it, not because I'm unaware of it. lol :P

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2006, 8:33 pm

No, I am not "emo". Whilst I do not find emo music objectionable, I do not have any "emo" traits, and I listen to metal/hard rock. I do not conform to peer pressure, feel angst, express my emotions in public, or anywhere. Lame "emo" suicide attempts are laughable. They show weak mindedness and incapacity to deal with life.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2006, 11:43 pm

I don't feel like reading all that. Seems that it's probably just going to be a long list of excuses not to care about people.

... Dang. I sound like I'm not a misanthrope there don't I?

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2006, 7:09 pm

I'm just a regular person...I used to dress really Gothic,but now my style is more colorful,and it has a more artsy/unique look to it.But an EMO??? Meh,I've been accused of being Emo SEVERAL times.Not there's anything WRONG with that,it's just not my thing.

-SpaceCase :D

morningdove
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Nov 2006, 8:10 pm

there was no such thing as Emo when I was in school. The closest thing was goth but I went to catholic schools so there were no goths there...

But anyway I have no problem with emos... at least they have cute hair & fashion sense. What I cant stand is the ghetto fab/playa/bling! culture. Ugh, compared to that I'll take emo anyday.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2006, 3:17 pm

Stereotypical people label any person who says "I'm down and depressed" an emo.

I heard this word come around a few months back and I wouldn't consider myself one.

Here is a question and answer I've just devised up just now.

Do You Dress Like One?

No. I dress as plain as possible, plain white shirt, plain blue trousers. I put on something that's comfortable and it suits me.

I love plain clothes, so no one can label you. So Na!! !! :P

Do You Mope Like One?

I mope...quietly and am sometimes angst-ridden, but I don't brag on and on and on about it. It just crops up in conversations. And I'm often misunderstood and am thought to say this kind of stuff in an attention seeking way. When I'm not...I Hate attention seeking. I don't do attention seeking thats what s**ts (mostly NTs) do. I'm not a s**t, I'm just treated like one.

I suffer from depression and I don't slit my wrists or any stuff like that. That's only if you can't find any other way to express anger.

Do You Look Like One?

No, I've asked my friends what would they class me as, and they said either "normal" or "sane" or "weird". Weird in a good way though.

Grim
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2006, 6:23 am

people yell that at me sometimes. I supose i do dress differently to most people, but i think i look more geeky than anything else.? :roll:

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2006, 6:25 pm

Sometimes people are just loud and stupid for the sake of it. Rise above their prejudices.

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2006, 4:35 pm

I'm just me, not chav emo etc, no point in arguing over it at the end of the day. Normally when theirs one wrong thing said about labelling it turns into a warzone. :?

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2006, 4:38 pm

I was emo back when I was 15.

Not the greatest time of my life.

Kahazidhea
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2006, 5:33 pm

My definition of an emo is a attention craving whiner who dresses like a freak and obsesses over trivial problems to the point of where they're just an unbearable nuisance. Emos don't have real problems at all, they're just attention deprived kids who only know how to interact with people by incessanly complaining.