Facebook makes me depressed

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 1:43 am

I see all of these pictures, statuses, etc. of friends or family getting along together and I don't have any of that. Most of my friends are busy with either work or school nowadays and so is my family. Plus, sometimes my family doesn't get along and they have very limited knowledge on computers, either. Also, I'm not interested in playing those stupid games like Farmville or Cafe World, writing chain statuses, sharing random pictures on my page, or putting that timeline thing on my page.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 2:10 am

That's why I find other things to do.

But they do not have me

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 8:33 am

Believe me life existed for many years before Facebook came on the scene. :)

I know of a 50 year old woman on one of my special interest forums who ended up in a rehab unit because she became addicted to Facebook, her family life suffered as well as her working life.
I think if anyone has negative thoughts while using it they should delete their accounts and find something fulfilling to do with their time.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 11:48 am

Facebook = Trash. I have a FB account only because somebody persuaded me that it would be great advertising for my computer repair business. So I have a business account. I do not, and never will, have a personal account. BTW, I felt the same about Myspace. Garbage. Social media is the stupidest NTs preening for each other and collecting friends like baseball cards. At least some baseball cards do have value, unlike FB accounts. You can sell a World of Warcraft account. Even by those weak metrics, FB is a big fat fail. Stop spending time on FB, you'll be happier.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 12:43 pm

I use it sometimes. It can be fun, depending on who posts what. I have a lot of my kids' friends on mine. My problem used to be that they would post these horribly depressing things on there and I would worry that they were suicidal. After showing concern for several of them, several different times, it was explained to me that those are song lyrics of a song they are listening to right then. They all felt just peachy.

Oh.

My bad.

It was sort of funny.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

brainfizz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2012, 12:44 pm

I know i realy get what you mean but tbh let's look at it like this, they arent going to post about how miserable their life is and photos of them staring at a brick wall. It's not real and no one really enjoys being round their family anyway :lol:
And then there's the point that what you have often you dont appreciate, I have loads of photos of me out with friends drinking, yet I see poeple posting pics of them and their friends and assume I have no life and they do, it's more the fact that i have to work harder to have friends and do social things, rather than other people have more fun, im sure people look at my fb and feel envious and iv not even considered that possibility before.
x

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 1:27 pm

Oh, a lot of people do post sad statuses. There is also a great deal of facebook drama that is very entertaining to watch at times. Lots of arguments are carried out on fb, and you can watch all of it. It's much more entertaining if you don't particularly like one of the participants too.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 5:08 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
I use it sometimes. It can be fun, depending on who posts what. I have a lot of my kids' friends on mine. My problem used to be that they would post these horribly depressing things on there and I would worry that they were suicidal. After showing concern for several of them, several different times, it was explained to me that those are song lyrics of a song they are listening to right then. They all felt just peachy.

Oh.

My bad.

It was sort of funny.

I remember when kids had to GUESS at song lyrics. I still don't know the words to some of my favorite songs, because they existed before liner notes and the internet. That's how, with the help of tube amp distortion and weed, "Scuse me while I kiss the sky" (from Purple Haze) became "Scuse me while I kiss this guy". Jimi Hendrix was actually one of the clearer singers in the 60s, if you listen to some of the surf songs from the early 60s you can't make out what they're saying over the hissing amps. Louie Louie is one notable example. Believe it or not, tube distortion is considered DESIRABLE to many punks and other connoseurs of bad music. The latest thing is apparently to hook up a heterodyning amp to an output and make "noise music". There used to be a user on here who ran a punk concert venue, and bands came in and did this and it would make her head hurt.

Oh yeah, about the dark lyrics. Emo types. They love that stuff.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 5:29 pm

pezar wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

Oh.

My bad.

It was sort of funny.

I remember when kids had to GUESS at song lyrics. I still don't know the words to some of my favorite songs, because they existed before liner notes and the internet. That's how, with the help of tube amp distortion and weed, "Scuse me while I kiss the sky" (from Purple Haze) became "Scuse me while I kiss this guy". Jimi Hendrix was actually one of the clearer singers in the 60s, if you listen to some of the surf songs from the early 60s you can't make out what they're saying over the hissing amps. Louie Louie is one notable example. Believe it or not, tube distortion is considered DESIRABLE to many punks and other connoseurs of bad music. The latest thing is apparently to hook up a heterodyning amp to an output and make "noise music". There used to be a user on here who ran a punk concert venue, and bands came in and did this and it would make her head hurt.

Remember trying to guess those lyrics from "Games Without Frontiers"?

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 6:14 pm

roygerdodger wrote:
I see all of these pictures, statuses, etc. of friends or family getting along together and I don't have any of that.

This is a little skewed. We tend to take pictures of happy gatherings and post news about happy events, but we seldom photograph fights and arguments. People on Facebook aren't happy all the time - they merely post the happy stuff and not the rest of it.

My mother struggles to work a mouse, and certainly wouldn't know how to set up a Facebook account. Most of my Facebook friends are ones I've actually made on Facebook rather than ones I already knew. The loss of the discussion forums was a severe blow to the site.

Quote:
Also, I'm not interested in playing those stupid games like Farmville or Cafe World, writing chain statuses, sharing random pictures on my page, or putting that timeline thing on my page.

Good! Those games are bloody awful. I was sucked into a few of them early on but now I block them as soon as anyone invites me to them.

Facebook is best used as a means to keep track of friends over great distances. Most of my friends are across the Atlantic and I've never even met them in real life. Between distance and time zones, the various posts and comments are a very effective way to keep in touch. It isn't compulsory to post happy messages about your family. When you study them a little, you realise that most of them are vacuous attention-seeking crap. Ignore them.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 6:26 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
pezar wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

Oh.

My bad.

It was sort of funny.

Remember trying to guess those lyrics from "Games Without Frontiers"?

I don't recall that one. Who sang it? Sorry. :oops: :cry: I do know that many of the 80s rock bands were unintelligible. Most anything that was metal or punk, you had to look in the notes. Some bands didn't bother with notes even-I have a copy of Ministry's 1993 album Keofahto (or "Keystone", that's the literal translation of the Greek, but everybody called it Psalm 69, after one of the songs) and NO NOTES, and you had to look inside the little booklet for a song list, and even the name of the album was unintelligible (a local alt-rock station spilled the beans while I was tuned in, that's how I know). If they were trying to be mysterious, it worked, but to this day nobody knows the lyrics to Jesus Built My Hotrod. I loved the T shirt-no man with a good car needs to be justified, baby!

Another thing that was difficult-rap. Rap started coming in around 1987, and white suburban kids listened to it and didn't have a clue as to the ghetto slang. And that was the stuff that was allowed on the radio-the true underground stuff, forget it. It only got worse as time went on. By the time it started going out of fashion, it was practically a different language. One of the worst offenders was a guy from Vallejo, CA calling himself E-40. He'd make up stuff in the studio, then couldn't explain later what it meant. I am from Northern California, so I'm very familiar with E-40. Eventually people just gave up trying to understand him and enjoyed the beats.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 7:01 pm

Games WIthout Frontiers is by Peter Gabriel

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKb9XQ39-zc[/youtube]

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 7:52 pm

I know what you mean, but I do like the game Pot Farm and I have a couple people I talk to on there so I still have my facebook profile.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2012, 8:35 pm

Ah, Facebook. The ultimate social lie. Yet another communication medium in which I can prove myself dangerously incompetent.

Gag me with a keyboard.

Message boards are sooooo much more fun :lol: 8O