abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 1:24 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I know "Tatars" are another name for Mongols.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Really? That's bizarre.

Don't know why, except that it was used in Europe during the Middle Ages.

I would guess that it probably has something to do with their invasion and harassment of the Western Roman Empire, or something somehow related there, but it doesn't seem to make any sense. Did they eat fish much while they were campaigning?

I *THINK* it's somewhat related to the Tartarus Pits, one of the levels of hell in Dantes Inferno if I remember correctly.

The Huns (mongols if you you prefer) were such a fierce and brutal people that they came to be utterly despised and feared. The would take a city and massacre every living they could find, rape all the women (down to the girls around 1 year old), and utterly destroy any trace of civilization.

Just to add to that fear, under Attila they were such a large force that none could field a matching army.

You will reap what you've sown.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 1:37 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Trust me, I normally drink less than stellar, but cheap beer like Pabst Blue Ribbon, as that was showcased in my favorite movie, Blue Velvet. 8)

I actually went to the trouble of purchasing an imported bottle - at considerable personal expense - in order to try it!

It's an almost entirely tasteless basic American lager. That also means that it's carbonated but extremely easy to drink. All taste of this beer passes within two seconds of drinking. Utterly inoffensive but easily to get down. I now know wihy Frank Booth (from Blue Velvet) and working-class Americans like it so much... because it is so anonymous and easy to drink. 4.7%.

Contrast this with a lot of the lagers available here that are not only tasteless but often have fairly unpleasant aftertastes too (the UK-produced Kronenbourg 1664 and Carling being the most pressing examples I can think of). At least PBR doesn't have that.

I envy the choice of U.S. craft beers you have. :)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 1:37 am

abacacus wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I know "Tatars" are another name for Mongols.

Really? That's bizarre.

Don't know why, except that it was used in Europe during the Middle Ages.

I would guess that it probably has something to do with their invasion and harassment of the Western Roman Empire, or something somehow related there, but it doesn't seem to make any sense. Did they eat fish much while they were campaigning?

I *THINK* it's somewhat related to the Tartarus Pits, one of the levels of hell in Dantes Inferno if I remember correctly.

The Huns (mongols if you you prefer) were such a fierce and brutal people that they came to be utterly despised and feared. The would take a city and massacre every living they could find, rape all the women (down to the girls around 1 year old), and utterly destroy any trace of civilization.

Just to add to that fear, under Attila they were such a large force that none could field a matching army.

Though it was at Catolonian fields of Chalons (spelling), where a force of Romans, Visigoths, Franks, Burgundians, Alans and others, though who were outnumbered three to one, were victorious over Attila's army of Huns, and allied Ostrogoths, and others. Many historians consider it to have been one of the greatest battles in human history.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 1:41 am

Tequila wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Trust me, I normally drink less than stellar, but cheap beer like Pabst Blue Ribbon, as that was showcased in my favorite movie, Blue Velvet. 8)

I actually went to the trouble of purchasing an imported bottle - at considerable personal expense - in order to try it!

It's an almost entirely tasteless basic American lager. That also means that it's carbonated but extremely easy to drink. All taste of this beer passes within two seconds of drinking. Utterly inoffensive but easily to get down. I now know wihy Frank Booth (from Blue Velvet) and working-class Americans like it so much... because it is so anonymous and easy to drink. 4.7%.

Contrast this with a lot of the lagers available here that are not only tasteless but often have fairly unpleasant aftertastes too (the UK-produced Kronenbourg 1664 and Carling being the most pressing examples I can think of). At least PBR doesn't have that.

I envy the choice of U.S. craft beers you have. :)

Well, you certainly deserve an A+ for going through all the effort!

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 1:41 am

When 5 nations band together to fight 2, what does that show other than great fear?

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 1:43 am

-pokes the people back onto topic-

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 1:53 am

abacacus wrote:
When 5 nations band together to fight 2, what does that show other than great fear?

Absolutely. In truth, Attila had been the warlord of not just his Huns, but of subject peoples as the Ostrogoths, Gepids, and other Eastern Germanic groups ruled over by the Huns, as well as allied Germanic peoples to the west, such as the Swabians, Thuringians, and Franks east of the Rhine like the Bructeri and Chatti. I don't think any of these peoples would have been considered equals of the Huns, and would never have joined together in a great push westward without the great Attila leading them.
But certainly, the Roman commander Aetius, as well as the Visigothic king Theoderic, and the Salian Frankish king Merovig had put away their mutual hatred for one another, and joined in one last desperate attempt to stop the Hunnish tidal wave from the east.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 1:58 am

phil777 wrote:

I know, I know; but the fun thing about WP discussion forums is that you never know where they may end up.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 2:03 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
phil777 wrote:

I know, I know; but the fun thing about WP discussion forums is that you never know where they may end up.

I find (not sure if anyone else will relate) that it works exactly like my mind.

Several subjects that seem to have no relation flow in to each other in a natural manner, despite how odd it can seem when viewed from the outside.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 2:07 am

abacacus wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
phil777 wrote:

I find (not sure if anyone else will relate) that it works exactly like my mind.

Several subjects that seem to have no relation flow in to each other in a natural manner, despite how odd it can seem when viewed from the outside.

Me, too.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 10:34 am

Tequila wrote:
No, absolutely not. In fact, I am struggling to think of any colonies we could have kept other than Malta as well as possibly Cyprus and some of the Caribbean islands.

Which serves to reinforce France's superior record of treatment of her colonies. Not stellar, to be sure--but a damn sight ahead of Britain.

(And even if we assume that the Dominion ships had sailed in 1931, you couldn't think to add Hong Kong, Singapore, Gibraltar and Bermuda to your list?)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 11:56 am

abacacus wrote:

It shows a reasonable chance of winning. 5 against 2, all other things being equal are good odds.

ruveyn

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 7:09 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Tequila wrote:
No, absolutely not. In fact, I am struggling to think of any colonies we could have kept other than Malta as well as possibly Cyprus and some of the Caribbean islands.

Which serves to reinforce France's superior record of treatment of her colonies. Not stellar, to be sure--but a damn sight ahead of Britain.

(And even if we assume that the Dominion ships had sailed in 1931, you couldn't think to add Hong Kong, Singapore, Gibraltar and Bermuda to your list?)

I was thinking of those colonies that we had post-1997. So Bermuda (and all present territories) would have been integrated into the UK. I'm sure we could have kept a few more of the Caribbean territories too. Jamaica ran a poll relatively recently where the respondents would have welcomed the Union Jack flying over their island.

Hong Kong would be nearly impossible to add on given the 99-year lease we had with China. Singapore wanted independence after the war anyway. I'm thinking from a 1950s standpoint.

And I envy France's treatment of her colonies. It's what colonialism should have been: nice places for people from the mother country to put their feet up, the islands being populated with friendly locals who do well out of the relationship with the mainland whilst offering lots of history of their own, complemented by a very edible local cuisine that many wouldn't bother to seek out because they're lazy. I don't think I've ever met a Maltese I've really disliked, for example, and I don't like anybody. Not even the racist, mentally ill nutter on the bus - he made great cabaret. :)

Last edited by Tequila on 18 Jan 2012, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 7:16 pm

ruveyn wrote:
5 against 2, all other things being equal are good odds.

If San Marino, Nauru, Palau, Liechtenstein and Luxembourg pitted their combined wits against the Chinese, who would win?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 9:14 pm

Tequila wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
5 against 2, all other things being equal are good odds.

If San Marino, Nauru, Palau, Liechtenstein and Luxembourg pitted their combined wits against the Chinese, who would win?

Think: The Mouse That Roared.

codarac
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 5:54 pm

visagrunt wrote:
codarac wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
J'accuse.

Vraiment, il n'y est rien de nouveau sous le soleil.

Jew uses thread about France to allude to the Dreyfus Affair of over 100 years ago.
There really is nothing new under the sun.

France has had a troubled relationship with her minority populations for centuries. That has only become exacerbated as mobility has created greater opportunity for people from the D.O.M. to relocated to Metropolitain France.

But I giver her her due, she has been significantly better at accommodating her former colonies than has Great Britain.

I have no interest in listening to lectures by non-Whites - and least of all by jews - about how much more we Europeans should be doing to serve the interests of the "minorities" living among us.

My only concern is how many of my own people get taken in by "minority" propaganda.