Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Stone_Man
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2012, 2:25 pm

I've been a runner for many years, but nowadays I use the term "runner" quite loosely. I guess you'd say that now I'm more of a "glorified walker", but eh, I don't care. The point is to get outdoors and move, right?

I live in the desert Southwest of the United States, and I love to run in the heat of the desert day. Everyone calls me crazy, of course, and I've no doubt they're right, but for some strange reason I really enjoy it. Last summer I was parked in the bustling little metropolis of Why, Arizona, where mid-day temps are rarely less than 115 or so. That's pretty brutal, I gotta say. I carry water and guzzle it as I go, and I've never had any issues with heat-exhaustion.

Anyone crazy enough to join me? :)

Sickpuppies124
Raven
Raven

24 Feb 2012, 6:30 pm

I love running. The best part is when you push yourself just hard enough to get into that "zone" where you're truly in the moment. The only thing that matters is the love of the run and breathing. It's a high unlike anything else.

kazz43
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Feb 2012, 4:39 pm

hi all,
i enjoy running, i belong to a gym and use their treadmill; i would love to run outside but i'm always worried about falling over and doing myself some damage! i can fall over just walking so i think the treadmill is probably safer!

today i ran about 4.5km in about 30 minutes, not a huge distance but i haven't run in a while but i really enjoyed it, it does help me feel less stressed and keeps me in shape

i loaded some music on my mobile and really got into it,
what music do y ou all listen to? ihad blackeyed peas on but i downloaded a chart album that has some great running tracks on it
going again tomorrow after work:D

MindWithoutWalls
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 9:52 pm

kazz43 wrote:
what music do you all listen to?

I listen to nature and listen for things like traffic when I run outside. When I bounce and jog on the trampoline indoors in bad weather, or when I need to do my sit-ups (which I do a lot of), I go for a variety. Lunasa, Raquy and the Cavemen, Eric Johnson, Heart, Galactic Ruckus, Maktub, Joe Satriani - whatever has tracks that really drive and some stuff to ease up by in case I need a breather.

Loitering is encouraged at The Wayshelter: http://wayshelter.com

paddy26
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2012, 2:41 pm

I've started running a few weeks ago and am enjoying it.

zzmondo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 7:54 pm

I used to run Cross Country and track in Middle School but not so much now. It's still a lot of fun for me to just run to places though, its exciting.

mindmapper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Mar 2012, 9:31 am

Sickpuppies124 wrote:
I love running. The best part is when you push yourself just hard enough to get into that "zone" where you're truly in the moment.

It always takes me a few miles of running before I have the proper pace and start enjoying it. Then I can go on and on for hours. It's rather awkward if you run constantly for hours and then suddenly have to stop, your legs just want to keep on running :P

kazz43 wrote:
i would love to run outside but i'm always worried about falling over and doing myself some damage! i can fall over just walking so i think the treadmill is probably safer!

I mostly run outside, I'm actually more worried about getting hurt on a treadmill, since it's the surface that moves at a crazy speed and not myself. If you can do the treadmill, you would probably do fine outside, if the surface is smooth enough.

I've been running everywhere for years, I only fell once or twice. The worst I had from that was a slightly bruised knee, so not all that bad :)

justin_havu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 May 2016, 6:17 am

I love running. I try to get out for between 3.5 and 6 miles two to three times a week, but ideally, I'd like to go out every day, even if it's just for a quick 1-miler. I'm not fast, but I don't really care much about being really fast. I can do interval training if I wanted to increase my speed, but I like distance better.

Running season is just starting up for me here in New England. I can't deal with any weather below 50 degrees, because of having to wear more clothing than I'd prefer (I usually like running shorts [the shorter, the better for me]) and a running tank, because I feel like I can move a lot easier and I'm not dragging extra bits of clothing with me, such as a jacket, and maybe track pants, etc.)

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2016, 10:00 pm

Einfari wrote:
Are there any members on WP who love to run besides me?

I think running is fun, especially distance(1+ mile races). People call me crazy for enjoying running but I know that I'm not the only distance runner out there. Running helps me cope with a lot of stress and depression issues. I'd love to see if here are any fello WP members who find running enjoyable.

Yes - I run marathons/ultramarathons.

And yes - you should buy yourself a pair of trainers from Hoka (they'll transform your running experience!).

If you haven't heard of Hoka - do a quick search.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2016, 11:51 pm

sonicallysensitive wrote:

Yes - I run marathons/ultramarathons.

And yes - you should buy yourself a pair of trainers from Hoka (they'll transform your running experience!).

If you haven't heard of Hoka - do a quick search.

Join the club! Ultras through bushland are a fantastic way to spend a day. The sound of your own breath and footfall while listening to the sounds of nature is the best!

Hoka shoes certainly are comfortable, although won't win you any points in the fashion stakes :P

I don't bother with extra clothing, you only get hot in it and end up taking it off.