life expectancy for people with mental health issues

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 1:08 pm

Sunshine7 wrote:
Quote:
On the same note I think death should be accepted and even celebrated the same as life is. This absolute clinging to life is irrational and not universal, it's a culural issue (it is universal but there is a significant difference between cultures

I held my breath for 1 min and 30 seconds. I tried telling my brain that by blindly clinging to oxygen and life it was being irrational; the argument lasted about another 3 seconds before I gave up and inhaled.

I don't see what you mean.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 1:18 pm

mar00 wrote:
The same lack of knowledge can serve as an argument for being allowed to die regardless of one's mental state - it's only a matter of one's choice (if one can make a coherent statement one is good to go).
Maybe suicide in secrecy is much more fun. But some are too ill to do even that and so should be helped if they wish.
If you mean practical procedure: (1) There is always someone who can do the job (2) Needles and gas bags can be used by the person with no assistance (3) Debts can be repayed with your organs

yes but the ethical and moral problem is that if someone is deemed to lack decision making capacity, no doctor would ever accept a request for suicide. people in this situation often aren't even permitted to make the most trivial decision without outside intervention.

and those with the most extreme and enduring mental health issues will generally be living in a supervised environment where suicide is largely impossible.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 2:25 pm

peebo wrote:
yes but the ethical and moral problem is that if someone is deemed to lack decision making capacity, no doctor would ever accept a request for suicide. people in this situation often aren't even permitted to make the most trivial decision without outside intervention.
and those with the most extreme and enduring mental health issues will generally be living in a supervised environment where suicide is largely impossible.

I do see how it's radical. I just really fail to understand why it is the way it is.
The moral problem here, as I see it, is irrational respect for human life as opposite to respect for the quality of one's life.
This would have a potential to degerate into something ugly; maybe that's what people are afraid of.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 2:52 pm

Sunshine7 wrote:
Quote:
On the same note I think death should be accepted and even celebrated the same as life is. This absolute clinging to life is irrational and not universal, it's a culural issue (it is universal but there is a significance difference between cultures

I held my breath for 1 min and 30 seconds. I tried telling my brain that by blindly clinging to oxygen and life it was being irrational; the argument lasted about another 3 seconds before I gave up and inhaled.

breathing is involuntary. it has nothing to do with being rational or otherwise. the point is that whether the brain wishes the lungs to breath air or not, people can and do kill themselves, and it can be rational, informed decision.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 9:58 pm

Oodain wrote:
i mena only yourself can commit a suicide as such and i dont think that that is a burden one can ethically push onto another, so what would the actual practical implications be?

Suicide booth!

I realise that one of them could never be built.