Irish autism conference (Autism Speaks)

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 8:49 am

"Autism Spectrum Disorder: from Clinical Practice to Educational Provision" organised by The Irish Centre for Autism and Neurodevelopment Research, in the School of Psychology at NUI Galway, in partnership with Autism Speaks and The American Ireland Fund.

Autism on the increase according to conference - http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0113/autism.html

Ireland’s first autism conference underway in Galway - http://galwayindependent.com/stories/it ... -in-Galway

Quote:
by Marie Madden

Ireland’s first ever autism conference is taking place in Galway today, with Minister for Health James Reilly addressing an audience of over 600 researchers, healthcare professionals, teachers and parents.

‘Autism Spectrum Disorder: from Clinical Practice to Educational Provision’ is being organised by the Irish Centre for Autism and Neurodevelopment Research, in partnership with Autism Speaks and The American Ireland Fund.

It began yesterday and is focusing on providing practical solutions and approaches to diagnosis, clinical management, education, and adult service provision.

“This is a tremendous example of transatlantic cooperation to tackle one of the most demanding and complex issues affecting millions of families worldwide,” said Kieran McLoughlin, CEO of the American Ireland Fund.

“The partnership between Autism Speaks and NUI Galway and the willing support of our donors is a wonderfully tangible expression of the depth of Irish-American relations.”

Experts include Professor Connie Kasari from the Centre for Autism Research and Treatment at UCLA; Professor Cathy Lord, Director of the Weill Cornell Medical College and New York Presbyterian Hospital Institute for Brain Development; Professor Richard Foxx of Penn State University; and Professor Helen McConachie of Newcastle University.

“We are delighted to be hosting such distinguished international experts,” said conference organiser and lecturer in Psychology at NUI Galway, Dr Geraldine Leader. “It is only through the use of the latest up-to-date evidence based practices that we can ensure best outcomes for all individuals on the autism spectrum.”

Parents of autistic children have been invited to attend and participate in workshops on early intervention and caring for children on the autism spectrum.

Adrian Jones, a parent of an autistic child and a board member of Autism Speaks and Managing Director at Goldman Sachs, welcomed the conference.

“Our family has been dealing with autism since we got Liam’s diagnosis 10 years ago, during which time we have been fortunate to benefit from the insight and guidance of experts in the field,” Jones said.

“We’ve seen the impact that Autism Speaks has had in generating awareness throughout the US, and the tangible benefits to families of its many programme initiatives. We hope the insights of global experts at this conference will accelerate improvements in care for Irish children and adults with autism.”

For further information on the conference, visit www.conference.ie

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 8:50 am

Have there been no protests about this in the Irish autism community?

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 9:03 am

Tequila wrote:
Have there been no protests about this in the Irish autism community?

Nothing that I have heard about, but to be honest I only read about it in the news today. Most of the speakers are either from the US or from the UK, and it is billed as an international conference. (The programme is here: http://www.conference.ie/Conferences/in ... erence=144)

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 10:03 pm

Parents are invited, but no autistic people? Tsk tsk.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 10:19 pm

If autistic people themselves aren't fully welcome at the conference then it comes across as more than a bit discriminatory, to be honest.

Hopefully some of it will end up on YouToob or something.

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 10:29 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Parents are invited, but no autistic people? Tsk tsk.

Heh, I know. But what can one expect? :P

karola
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2012, 7:23 am

Hi
a number of points
1 - people with ASD were welcome, in fact one of the plenary speaker was an young man with ASD who spoke brilliantly and got a standing ovation.
2 - this was not the first autism conference in Ireland (we have had 5 in Northern Ireland in 2000, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2011).
3 - there is an uproar from parents who want ABA-based treatments for their kids. check out PEATNI webpages
hope this clarifies.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 9:08 am

karola wrote:
1 - people with ASD were welcome, in fact one of the plenary speaker was an young man with ASD who spoke brilliantly and got a standing ovation.

What was his speech on? Will there be a recording of the speeches online anywhere?

Quote:
2 - this was not the first autism conference in Ireland (we have had 5 in Northern Ireland in 2000, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2011).

Depends if you're a republican or not. It is the first conference in Irish jurisdiction, so it's the first conference in Ireland (but not on the island). The other five took place in the UK. Same island, different country.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 10:37 am

Tequila wrote:

Depends if you're a republican or not. It is the first conference in Irish jurisdiction, so it's the first conference in Ireland (but not on the island). The other five took place in the UK. Same island, different country.

It seems very strange to say that this isn't the first, when it clearly is the first held in that country, as reported by the Irish press.

I'm vaguely interested in the fact that there is some kind of American/Irish collaboration and funding going on here. Not the first time that has happened, certainly.

@ karola: Were Autism Speaks and this American/Irish group involved in the conferences held previously in the North? Were those conferences organised by the same people or different people?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 11:14 am

Marcia wrote:
It seems very strange to say that this isn't the first, when it clearly is the first held in that country, as reported by the Irish press.

Indeed. There are two countries on the island of Ireland - the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom - and Northern Ireland is part of the UK, therefore it was the first one held in the state known as Ireland. Simple as that.

Marcia wrote:
I'm vaguely interested in the fact that there is some kind of American/Irish collaboration and funding going on here.

Indeed. This does sound a bit worrying in that they're trying to go for that particular agenda in Ireland and I hope it doesn't gain traction there (though I don't know how much influence "Irish-Americans" have on Irish society itself). I don't know what the situation with autism rights is in Ireland compared to the UK although I would imagine it would be fairly similar.

karola
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2012, 11:36 am

What was his speech on? Will there be a recording of the speeches online anywhere?

he talked about his life, and his experiences in school and at University

BTW, lets keep the eye on the ball and not get USA/UK/Ireland political.

karola
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2012, 11:37 am

PS, I think the videos will be on line at some point, but I was not involved in the organisation, so you need to check with the organisers themselves

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 11:40 am

karola wrote:
he talked about his life, and his experiences in school and at University.

From an autism-positive or negative standpoint?

karola
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2012, 1:50 pm

how about a holistic rather than a dualistic viewpoint,

he is doing a Masters degree at the moment.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2012, 2:15 pm

karola wrote:

BTW, lets keep the eye on the ball and not get USA/UK/Ireland political.

Does this mean you're not going to answer my questions about the organisers of events in the North and the South, and about any previous involvement of Autism Speaks and the American Ireland Fund?

Politics are intrinsic to anything like this, there's no getting away from that.

athacliath72
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jan 2012, 3:45 pm

I'm based in Ireland and having a really hard time of it this evening, recently self diagnosed but expecting a full diagnosis in the coming months, what I really hate about AS is the way it emasculates you, ( I have one of those shy,gentle,aloof personalities with the fast, detectably nervous speech ), plus also they way you can never 'blend in' in the same fashion as a NT. I overhear an audible comment every time I go shopping etc and I've given up on Pubs for similar reasons.

I would cut my leg off to 'be cured', I've lived independently for the last nine years in two different countries thinking I was leaving home to do all those 'man things', marriage, kids etc, etc. which would somehow materialise out of thin air the way they do for NT's I may move back in with my brother and mother as I've had enough of the social isolation aspect of things.