Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 9:12 am

First day of school in a new class. I was doing a self intro, and I did not notice myself rocking back and forth. I was extremely anxious though, as you probably infer :oops:
When I finished the teacher said
"Nice but you sort of make me worried. You kinda look...autistic? Uhhh...you were rocking back and forth, you know."
I blushed, turned around to go back to my seat, the teacher said
"I may be mistaken, just something to say."

Then a friend of mine said
"Jamie, busted."

Teacher: "really!"

Hmm, not really a good start, but not too bad either. 8O
I think someone's going to speak to me in that goddxxx soft voice for the rest of the term, oh my.

alwayswrong
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Jan 2012, 10:13 am

You should have said, "I'm on the spectrum and you are an ass to point it out like that."

Pointing out annoying movements in public speaking how ever to belittle it is wrong.

WTF would she say if you had another disorder?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 10:23 am

That teacher sure has class. </sarcasm>

I do things like that when I'm not trying to control it. :(

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 10:29 am

I think she probably thought I'll stare, make a face and say
Autistic?? Huh, very funny

Apparently there's no such thing as neurodiversity in the classroom, but given that I'm probably the only diagnosed autistic/ aspie in my year, plus the school doesn't know about my condition, I can't really blame her. :wink:

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jan 2012, 11:13 am

I'm glad you are ok with it, because it seems like sort of an unprofessional thing to say to a student in front of the class. I rocked back and forth the entirety of my high school speech class (the only reason I know is a horrible video of my speeches). Although I would have not preferred an in class announcement, but it would have been wonderful to have someone, anyone, identify my spectrum problems so I could get help and understand myself earlier.

Sounds like you handled it gracefully :) Good for you

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jan 2012, 11:23 am

Reminds me of a time in secondary school where I had been nodding my head back and forth and suddenly the teacher broke off from what she was saying and said something along the lines of, "You're really starting to get on my nerves and if you don't stop nodding *random threat here*". I was mortified. I felt it was very unfair that she drew attention to me like that, especially since I was the least disruptive kid in the class.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

16 Jan 2012, 11:58 am

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to School and College Life]

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2012, 12:18 pm

alwayswrong wrote:
You should have said, "I'm on the spectrum and you are an ass to point it out like that."

Pointing out annoying movements in public speaking how ever to belittle it is wrong.

WTF would she say if you had another disorder?

I'll second these remarks. I would arrange to speak with the principle or dean, and ask to be removed from her class on the grounds that you shouldn't have to deal with prejudice or ridicule.

alwayswrong
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Jan 2012, 12:45 pm

jamieevren1210 wrote:
I think she probably thought I'll stare, make a face and say
Autistic?? Huh, very funny

Apparently there's no such thing as neurodiversity in the classroom, but given that I'm probably the only diagnosed autistic/ aspie in my year, plus the school doesn't know about my condition, I can't really blame her. :wink:

It doesn't matter that the school or she know. It is an inappropriate comment.

Her to say rocking like you were is considered bad manners/public speaking is ok...saying you look autisic is belittling everyone not NT.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 2:19 pm

I would have told the teacher that yes I am autistic and I am very litigious towards people make fun of me for it.

In second grade I had a teacher who said my rocking made me look like a mental patient and it made her nervous so to get me to stop it she tied me to the chair with a jump rope. That did not work I rocked my self loose so she started scaring me by banging a large hard bound dictionary against my desk having to endure that for a few months got me to stop rocking. :x

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2012, 8:53 pm

This is similar to my first attempt at public speaking class (a requirement for my state's board of regents...) I rocked back and forth and started making erratic hand movements and eventually distracted myself so badly I had to sit down. The teacher failed me for the speech not being long enough, I confronted him about it after class, he said he didn't care what I claimed to have, and unless the school had a record of it he wasn't going to accommodate it.. so I wound up dropping his class at the midpoint to avoid an F on my transcript..

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 9:03 am

Well, in Taiwan autistic is generally used to describe those who are acting like they don't want to interact or stuff. Sometimes it is a joke, but few ever really mean the actual condition when they mention it. Virtually no nonprofessional human being has ever heard of the word Aspergers, much less than it's being the condition du jour like in some countries. Guess I'll just have to shut up about this thing for a while, since I am in a new class and not ready to openly discuss this yet, yikes. :wink:
And I rarely if ever rock, unless I'm extremely anxious. I have less noticeable stims.

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 6:37 pm

Public speaking, or any sort of interaction that requires me facing a large group, is probably my single biggest meltdown inducing stimulus.

I can do okay with 1-2 people in conversation. But me facing 20+ people and I can't do it.

b00m3rang
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2012, 7:18 pm

I've been known to open and close my legs if I'm sitting down without realizing it. Once in 6th grade, a girl said, "eew, he's masturbating!" That made me a lot of friends. More recently I was told, "this isn't Basic Instinct". I wasn't trying to offend anyone :( made me feel bad about myself.