What the proposed revision of the DSM-5 actually says--link

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 11:55 am

see

http://www.dsm5.org/proposedrevision/pa ... spx?rid=94

Not just the proposed new version, but rationale.

Darialan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2012, 1:21 pm

One of the biggest problems I see for some of us out there is they have to be ABC&D. And C is not something many of us have been showing to a doctor. How do they identify C, if it's not brought to the attention during that time? Many times this isn't even seen by parents, whether as a problem or whether they see it at all.

B words the problems at a more extreme level. This makes it hard for those that need the diagnosis as this seems to put some people with mild autistic traits out of the diagnosis. But D is what matters most. I think if they were to reword B and say that C is optional (since it may not have necessarily been brought to a doctor's attention), then it would fit those that have problems getting a job and incorporating themselves into the community. A diagnosis is necessary to take the steps to help people on the spectrum, but it looks like it's worded in a way that excludes those that still may need the help.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 1:49 pm

C and D were there in the DSM-IV-TR, and you needed to have them.

antimuda
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2012, 2:14 pm

D was not there in DSM-IV. The language was dramatically changed from "significant impairment" and "qualitative impairment". for Asperger's and ASD respectively to "limit and impair" However the standard goes further and adds the term limit. For the new diagnose to be applied there would not only have to be impairment but there would also have to be a limit on the persons every day functioning.

For a rather detailed discussion of problems with both C and D look at the following thread
DSM-V Contradiction

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 2:25 pm

"Clinically significant impairments" can easily contain "limit and impair everyday functioning", especially when you apply the fact that ASDs are lifelong disorders; a clinically significant impairment will always be there if the disorder is always there.

Hence, if you have an ASD, you'll be possibly impaired every second of the day compared to your peers without such. You might not feel it, but when you apply something that makes the symptoms manifest, enter impairment daily.

dr01dguy
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jan 2012, 2:31 pm

C doesn't mean that you have to be DIAGNOSED as a child, or that you even have formal medical documentation of having had those symptoms as a child. It just means that, at the very least, you (or somebody know knew you as a child) have to be able to convince the doctor that the symptoms began as a child, and didn't spontaneously appear during adulthood.

Worst-case, I suspect that most of us could just show the mean things our classmates wrote about us(*) in our middle school yearbooks to the doctor, and he'd sigh & say, "yeah, you WERE a pretty hardcore aspie back then, weren't you? Wow."

Insofar as section D goes, I noticed it says:
"Symptoms together limit and impair everyday functioning"
and not
"Symptoms together significantly limit and impair everyday functioning."
or
"ALL Symptoms limit and impair everyday functioning."

To me, this means that all you'll officially HAVE to demonstrate is at least one credible example of each required criterion, and for them to collectively impair your life to a degree that you find bothersome, even if no individual symptom is itself overwhelmingly debilitating.

---

(*) Real examples: "You wouldn't be so annoying if you didn't talk about computers all the time", and "Do you own more than 3 shirts?"

Last edited by dr01dguy on 21 Jan 2012, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 3:02 pm

Many of the big institutions require you to bring a parent along to the interview now (they always have). The small, singular clinicians usually don't require such. If you were to say you were always like this or that, they'd believe such if you were clearly showing the symptoms of an ASD as they're written.

They'd need to know if you were like that as a child as the differential diagnoses are there. If it came on as a late teenager or adult, Schizoid PD would be a possibility, for example. (There's really not many disorders that are like ASDs though.)

antimuda
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2012, 4:34 pm

In regard to C, The same DSM committee in its recommendation for the removal of Asperger's from the DSM puts forth the argument that
" Early language details are hard to establish in retrospect, especially for older children and adults; average age of first diagnosis is late (7 years according to Mandell et al. 2005; 11yrs, Howlin & Asgharian, 1999)."

This was in response to the DSM-IV Asperger requirement that
D. There is no clinically significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years).

The new requirement for C states, "C. Symptoms must be present in early childhood (but may not become fully manifest until social demands exceed limited capacities)" If establishing the usage of language is prohibitively difficult then how can the nuanced social behaviors be retroactively determined?

In regard to D, the author deliberately choices to include the new word limit in addition to the word impair. This implies that impair and limit have discrete meanings both of which are now required. The definitions of the terms are as follows

Impair- to make or cause to become worse; diminish in ability, value, excellence, etc.;
Limit - to fix or assign definitely or specifically; the utmost extent.

Therefore the symptom must specifically define the utmost extent and diminish every day functioning. A "significant impairment" is no longer sufficient for the establishment of a diagnosis based upon the revised criteria.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 5:09 pm

By definition, an ASD will limit you for your entire life compared to your peers. It'll also impair you too. I don't see how it's much of...anything that's not already there with it being a disorder. You'll be "limited" in comparison to your peers regarding social relations, for example, and it's always going to be that way due to the deficits outlined in the criteria. So on and so forth.

Having it since childhood is there for differential diagnoses; you'd just have to say to the clinician that I've always been, felt, and thought this way. It's always been like this though with an ASD diagnosis. It's there to differentiate between Schizoid PD or a combination of other mental disorders (depression + OCD + social anxiety disorder can appear like an ASD at first glance), which have different treatments.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 5:16 pm

on october 1st, 2013, the USA is obliged to have adopted the ICD-10… over 20 years after the rest of the world… and two years before that same world adopts the ICD-11…

asperger syndrome is NOT eliminated from the ICD-10… nor the ICD-11

what relevance has the DSM-V anyway???

i simply do not understand.

antimuda
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2012, 5:31 pm

If on a standardized test an individual is able to obtain a score that is in the top 5% however the test must be taken in a room without fluorescent lighting, are they limited?

I would argue that they are impaired and not limited. Unfortunately if they are not 'limited' the new DSM-V Standard would prevent the reasonable accommodation of taking the exam under different lighting conditions.

The connotations of the words impair and limit are very different. An impairment can be overcome through work and diligence, a limit can not. For instance the speed of light represents a limit where as gravity is an impairment (for those trying to fly). The inclusion of the word limit implies that there are daily activities that can not be performed. I honestly hope this is not the belief of the clinical community

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 11:54 pm

antimuda wrote:
The inclusion of the word limit implies that there are daily activities that can not be performed.

Yes.

Normal social interaction can't be performed [due to the social domain].
Vocation and academic pursuits are limited due to the restricted behaviors (only able to focus on that one thing at the expense of others will hinder/limit a person in what they can do)

antimuda
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2012, 3:44 pm

aspi-rant
for a very good discussion of the differences between the ICD and DSM look at

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2009/10/icd-dsm.aspx
http://www.apa.org/monitor/2009/10/icd-dsm.aspx

and
http://www.apapracticecentral.org/reimb ... -9-cm.aspx http://www.apapracticecentral.org/reimbursement/billing/icd-9-cm.aspx

Which is from American Psychological Association, which is not to be confused with the American Psychiatric Association which produces the DSM.

In terms of insurance coverage you are completely right

Quote:
Under the Health Insurance Portability and Accessibility Act (HIPAA), insurance companies who accept and process insurance claims electronically are only required to accept ICD-9-CM diagnosis codes. Because there is no HIPAA requirement that insurance companies also accept DSM-IV-TR codes, insurance companies are likely to only accept electronic claims that use ICD-9-CM diagnosis codes, and which will require psychologists who are only familiar with DSM-IV-TR to convert their DSM-IV-TR diagnosis codes into ICD-9-CM diagnosis codes

This implies that DSM is "fully compatible" with ICD and a cross reference index is all that is required to 'convert'. Clearly this is not the case

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 4:30 pm

antimuda wrote:
...there would not only have to be impairment but there would also have to be a limit on the persons every day functioning.

Sorry, but I don't see any difference between the two. If there is no limit on every day functioning, where is the impairment? :shrug:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 8:55 pm

MrXxx wrote:
antimuda wrote:
...there would not only have to be impairment but there would also have to be a limit on the persons every day functioning.

Sorry, but I don't see any difference between the two. If there is no limit on every day functioning, where is the impairment? :shrug:

Well if it takes you more effort to do something you can still do it, but it's harder for you to do something, so it's still an impairment.

I don't like limit, it's probably going to crush a lot of aspies's dreams now that they are told they are limited instead of just impaired. And it means now arbitrary things might be fewer as limits when they used to be viewed as just impairments, maybe just so someone can get diagnosed.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 10:06 pm

does all this mean that if you have been dx'ed you will have to get a new one