Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 2:20 pm

I've been wanting to lose weight for a while but the hard part is dealing with routine. It's really hard trying to get out of that routine, even if it's just taking baby steps to create a new and comforting routine.

I have an iPad now so it makes things a little easier. What I want to do is try getting into a habit of using the wii. But the problem is, as I said before, routine. I start to fall under these huge anxiety that makes me feel uncomfortable with trying. Ifi push myself then I'll just end up freaking out and starting to cry.

I'm also having trouble figuring out my average weight. Normally it would be easy but I'm 5'4 and 23 years old so I actually look 14. I'm about 160 in pounds. I've been pushing myself to watch my calories too but it just creates a huge mess of anxiety.

I just want to know if anyone has ever had this trouble.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 4:50 pm

Well, I managed to go from 215 to 180 pounds just by doing something I liked, ice skating, everyday. My advice would be, don't worry about it as much, but find a physical activity you'll actually like doing, where it won't matter if you fail or succeed at it. Then do this physical activity a lot, I try to skate an hour a day to keep me healthy. For me, one of my problems is, other people don't see this as a good use of time, whereas I see it as one of the most valuable things I do everyday. So just find something you like doing that's physical, and keep doing it. As far as dieting, it's not so much counting calories, you need to eat healthier, and not eat wastefully, if that makes sense.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 7:09 pm

Drink lots of water.
I know, I know, everything says that and it's the most cliche weight loss tip ever.
But it's true.

to his Interest."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 11:03 pm

1. Eat less.
2. Exercise more.
3. No excuses.

I've lost more than 7 pounds since Christmas.

DanRaccoon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 3:46 pm

Fnord wrote:
1. Eat less.
2. Exercise more.
3. No excuses.

Pretty much it. One thing you shouldn't do is starve yourself, it slows metabolism and it just ain't good for you. Just a little tip should it ever cross your mind. Another thing is don't waste money on low fat or weight watchers stuff, just a sensible diet with normal food, a daily routine of exercise and will power and you'll lose weight. Simple as :3 I lost around 80 pounds a few years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DanRaccoon

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 4:01 pm

If you eat very few carbohydrates you'll lose your hunger pangs, which are about blood sugar and not actual hungriness. Switching to a largely protein + fat diet makes losing weight much easier.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 8:48 pm

DanRaccoon wrote:
Fnord wrote:
1. Eat less. 2. Exercise more. 3. No excuses. I've lost more than 7 pounds since Christmas.
Pretty much it. One thing you shouldn't do is starve yourself, it slows metabolism and it just ain't good for you. Just a little tip should it ever cross your mind. Another thing is don't waste money on low fat or weight watchers stuff, just a sensible diet with normal food, a daily routine of exercise and will power and you'll lose weight. Simple as :3 I lost around 80 pounds a few years ago.

I'm not starving at all! I joined Weight Watchers (link), and I'm following their program. To stave off hunger between meals, I eat fruit or vegetables, and not junk food. To keep my energy up, I walk about a mile a day. Today's weigh-in showed that I'm actually down by ten pounds since my physician weighed me a week before Christmas!

It's all about knowing what you're really eating, and how much of it. There are no restrictions as to the kinds of food you can eat, only the amount.

Weight Watchers works!

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2012, 11:24 pm

more water, more fiber, more physical activity that you can find enjoyable or useful (for me this is/was commuting by bike).

DanRaccoon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 1:01 pm

Fnord wrote:
DanRaccoon wrote:
Fnord wrote:
1. Eat less. 2. Exercise more. 3. No excuses. I've lost more than 7 pounds since Christmas.

I'm not starving at all! I joined Weight Watchers (link), and I'm following their program. To stave off hunger between meals, I eat fruit or vegetables, and not junk food. To keep my energy up, I walk about a mile a day. Today's weigh-in showed that I'm actually down by ten pounds since my physician weighed me a week before Christmas!

It's all about knowing what you're really eating, and how much of it. There are no restrictions as to the kinds of food you can eat, only the amount.

Weight Watchers works!

sorry I wasn't saying that you were, I was just saying that you shouldn't. Sorry I should've worded my post differently x.x and I wasn't talking about the Weight Watchers programs and such I was referring to just their products. I just believe that that and just normal meals have minute or no difference on weight loss.

Jojoba
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2012, 4:11 pm

With gluten free eating being somewhat popular of late, you might try avoiding wheat for awhile to see if that helps. I've read a number of stories of late with people having success doing this simple act. Not a testimonial, but recall this article about avoiding wheat and loosing weight from a physician's blog that I follow.

"Calories in . . . 8-fold calories out?"

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/10/c ... ories-out/

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 4:27 pm

Fnord wrote:
1. Eat less.
2. Exercise more.
3. No excuses.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 4:47 pm

DanRaccoon wrote:
Fnord wrote:
DanRaccoon wrote:
Fnord wrote:

I'm not starving at all! I joined Weight Watchers (link), and I'm following their program. To stave off hunger between meals, I eat fruit or vegetables, and not junk food. To keep my energy up, I walk about a mile a day. Today's weigh-in showed that I'm actually down by ten pounds since my physician weighed me a week before Christmas! It's all about knowing what you're really eating, and how much of it. There are no restrictions as to the kinds of food you can eat, only the amount. Weight Watchers works!
sorry I wasn't saying that you were, I was just saying that you shouldn't. Sorry I should've worded my post differently x.x and I wasn't talking about the Weight Watchers programs and such I was referring to just their products. I just believe that that and just normal meals have minute or no difference on weight loss.

No worries ... I took no offense.

A lot of it has to do with divorcing myself from any emotional attachments to "Comfort Foods", such as cheeseburgers, pizza, and donuts. It isn't easy - I backslide every few weeks with a full-sized Quizno's sandwich (~1200 calories / 34 points). My daily allotment of "points" is 43, while my weekly allotment of "bonus points" is 49, so I can consume 50 points of food each day. Point allotments are based on weight, height, age, and sex. Men have 30 to 50 percent more points than women, all else being equal.

Points in food are based on total fats, total carbohydrates, total fiber, and total protein, all measured in grams (look on the label of any packaged food).

A typical lunch for me would include a ham-and-cheese sandwich, a bowl of soup, and a tossed salad with salt and pepper.

2 slices of bread @ 2 points each = 4 points
3 Oscar Mayer ham slices = 2 points
1 slice of Kraft sandwich cheese = 2 points
1 can of Campbell's Tomato Soup = 2 points
1 salad = 0 points (fruits and most vegetables have no point value!)
TOTAL = 10 points

I still have 40 points for the rest of the day! Even better, I can load up the sandwich with lettuce, tomato, onion, and sprouts without adding to its point-value. Avocados, however, have 2 or 3 points due to their high fat content. Something else to consider is salt content - when choosing between two brands of prepared luncheon meats, I will choose the one with the lower sodium content (all else being equal). High fructose corn syrup is to be avoided, so I'll choose Hunt's brand ketchup instead of Heinz brand. Gluten does not seem to be a factor.

One month into this program, and I wake up refreshed and ready to go, instead of feeling like a zombie for the first few hours of the day. I also feel less irritable or pessimistic. Weird, huh?

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 4:54 pm

Jojoba wrote:
With gluten free eating being somewhat popular of late, you might try avoiding wheat for awhile to see if that helps. I've read a number of stories of late with people having success doing this simple act. Not a testimonial, but recall this article about avoiding wheat and loosing weight from a physician's blog that I follow.

What I've been hearing is go ahead with meat and vegetables, but cut down on wheat products, fruits, or Starchy foods. Supposedly some of the latter trigger sinsulin spikes when it converts to sugar. It seems also the same flow of insulin puts away the fats into the fat cells and the falling insulin level causes hunger.

Well that is a very rough but brief description. The idea is basically watchout for high Glycemic Index foods.

DanRaccoon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 5:10 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
Jojoba wrote:

What I've been hearing is go ahead with meat and vegetables, but cut down on wheat products, fruits, or Starchy foods. Supposedly some of the latter trigger sinsulin spikes when it converts to sugar. It seems also the same flow of insulin puts away the fats into the fat cells and the falling insulin level causes hunger.

Well that is a very rough but brief description. The idea is basically watchout for high Glycemic Index foods.

ah yes low carb diets. Luckily the good thing about carbs is that they burn quickly during exercise.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 5:27 pm

Low-carb, high-protein diets may decrease blood glucose, but they may also increase blood cholesterol.

Pick your poison: diabetes or clogged arteries.

dancinonwater
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2012, 4:06 pm

I also had a lot of trouble losing weight... But then I found myfitnesspal! It is a website, and also an app on apple and android products that keeps track of all the food you eat as well as the calories you burn during exercise. I also recommend writing up a plan for exaclty what you are going to eat, drink, and what kind of exercise you will do every single day, and of course make sure you have exaclty the plates, bowls, cups, measuring cups, and of course food that you need. Sticking to a schedule is usually easy for aspies and anxious types, and it will probably ease the anxiety about the whole thing.

Other than that, I must stress how amazing myfitnesspal is! It also includes a great weight loss forum and community to help you reach your goals! I have already started losing, and am really learning to control what I eat, and I'm ready to reach my goal weight by the summer! If you join and would like to friend me, my username is dancinonwater22!