What about Multiple Complex Developmental Disorder

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 7:53 pm

A psychologist gave me that diagnosis (along with a couple others) and dropped Schizoaffective and said I don't really have Asperger's. What do you think of this diagnosis? By this, I don't mean in me, but in general. Is it valid to use that diagnosis on anyone? I've read a little on it, and, and it isn't widely accepted, it seems.

MusicIsLife2Me
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2012, 8:52 pm

I found its definition online, however I feel it is lacking in any kind of detail. Can you explain to me what you psychologist told you it means?

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 9:13 pm

not really what she said, for a number of reasons, but here is something pulled from a scholarly article

J Autism Dev Disord (2007) 37:1181–1191
DOI 10.1007/s10803-006-0261-4
ORIGINAL PAPER
Multiple Complex Developmental Disorder Delineated from
PDD-NOS
Esther I. de Bruin Æ Pieter F. A. de Nijs Æ
Fop Verheij Æ Catharina A. Hartman Æ
Robert F. Ferdinand

Table 1 PDD-NOS and MCDD research criteria (Buitelaar & Van der Gaag, 1998)
PDD-NOS
1. Qualitative impairments in social interaction
a. Marked impairments in the use of multiple non-verbal behaviours such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures,
and gestures to regulate social interaction
b. Failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
c. A lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people
d. A lack of social or emotional reciprocity
2. Qualitative impairments in communication
a. In individuals with adequate speech, marked impairment in the ability to initiate or sustain a conversation with others
b. Stereotyped and repetitive use of language or idiosyncratic language
3. Restricted, repetitive, and stereotyped patterns of behaviour, interests, and activities:
a. Stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms
MCDD
1. Impaired regulation of affective state and anxieties
a. Unusual or peculiar fears and phobias, or frequent idiosyncratic or bizarre anxiety reactions
b. Recurrent panic episodes or flooding with anxiety
c. Episodes of behavioural disorganization punctuated by markedly immature, primitive, or violent behaviours
2. Impaired social behaviour
a. Social disinterest, detachment, avoidance, or withdrawal
b. Markedly disturbed and/or ambivalent attachments
3. The presence of thought disorder
a. Irrationality, magical thinking, sudden intrusions on normal thought process, bizarre ideas, neologism, or repetition of
nonsense words
b. Perplexity and easy confusability
c. Overvalued ideas, including fantasies of omnipotence, paranoid preoccupations, over engagement with fantasy figures,
referential ideation
MCDD multiple complex developmental disorder, PDD-NOS pervasive developmental disorder-not otherwise specified

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 9:18 pm

I found this article about the differenciation between MCDD and Autism.
http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/v28/n3/full/1300046a.html

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 9:26 pm

What is this? Some rare form of ASD that no one ever talks about? And I absolutely hate it when they say the control is healthy. So if autistic people aren't healthy then what do you call them when they aren't sick?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2012, 9:43 am

Ganondox wrote:
What is this? Some rare form of ASD that no one ever talks about? And I absolutely hate it when they say the control is healthy. So if autistic people aren't healthy then what do you call them when they aren't sick?

Many of us seek out psychiatrists for treatment for anxiety, depression, and paranoia. The way we interact with so-called "neurotypicals" often isn't very healthy... and they way we even interact with each other often isn't that healthy. One Aspie who posts here who was married to an Aspie their Asperger's made marriage difficult.