Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 10:00 am

I am familiar with a few of the ones you mentioned, is it corect that they are pretty dark, kind of in animation and what hapends. From what I know Baccano is pretty close to Durarara!!, it is made by the same people and such.

I don't think I plan on watching Beserk or Gantz, I saw the abridged series, I know what hapends and I rather not watch something where that hapends to the protaganists. I prefer more light hearted.

Hey have you seen Level E? Based on your favourites I would wonder what you would think.

I watched all of the series of Death Note, have a general idea of the movies, seen some clips online, and I was more excited for a more original story for L: Change the world.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 5:51 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
I am familiar with a few of the ones you mentioned, is it corect that they are pretty dark, kind of in animation and what hapends. From what I know Baccano is pretty close to Durarara!!, it is made by the same people and such.

I don't think I plan on watching Beserk or Gantz, I saw the abridged series, I know what hapends and I rather not watch something where that hapends to the protaganists. I prefer more light hearted.

Hey have you seen Level E? Based on your favourites I would wonder what you would think.

I watched all of the series of Death Note, have a general idea of the movies, seen some clips online, and I was more excited for a more original story for L: Change the world.

If you like Death Note you'll probably like Kaiji. And if you like Kaiji you'll probably like Akagi. It's that theme I guess of smart people trying to outsmart each other. I wish they had a decent Liar Game anime.

Yeah I guess a lot of the anime I like have a pretty bleak outcome/journey for the protagonists. That's the way I like it! Fosters amazing characters. To be honest I consider them pretty similar in style to Fullmetal Alchemist but to each their own.

I'll definitely have a look at Level E when I get the time.

raykusray
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jan 2012, 7:35 pm

Hmm, but I appreciate Ghost in the Shell for its futuristic but realistic complexity. Especially getting into the politics of exactly what wars happened between the present day and what is presented to you in the anime, terrorism, refugee policy, social memes, and so on. The fast paced action doesn't hurt, either. Or the guns. And the Tachikoma. :D

Whosinabunker
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jan 2012, 8:12 pm

I do quite like anime (I daresay I LOVE it) I went off of it for about a year last year, not sure what happened to make me lose my interest, but I 'm back in full force. Here's some of my more recent favorites (all of which I HIGHLY recommend, also beware, some of these are slower paced shows than normal):

Welcome To The NHK (slice of life/psychological thriller with great messed up characters, also scarily relatable)

Naoki Urasawa's Monster (murder mystery/psychological thriller/ has quite possibly the greatest villain in anime history in my opinion)

Haibane Renmei (psychological/drama, a story about the afterlife, angels and their relationships)

Angel Beats! (action/comedy/drama, great jokes combined with stellar animation and a pretty good story, a tad short, but it's good enough)

I have more, but these are ones I've recently watched and LOVED, I really recommend them. (DNAngel isn't too bad either)

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 6:14 pm

I've always been a big fan of anime, ever since I was a child. Since I haven't really been all that impressed by many of the recent anime, I've decided to go back to watching my old favorites from my teenage years (specifically, Rurouni Kenshin, Inuyasha, Naruto, and One Piece). Surprisingly, they seem to be just as good as I remembered them. At this point in my life, I don't care if they are (or were) "too popular"; they make me happy and that's all that counts.

TheFerretHadToGo
Raven
Raven

30 Jan 2012, 2:49 am

IdahoRose wrote:
I've always been a big fan of anime, ever since I was a child. Since I haven't really been all that impressed by many of the recent anime, I've decided to go back to watching my old favorites from my teenage years (specifically, Rurouni Kenshin, Inuyasha, Naruto, and One Piece). Surprisingly, they seem to be just as good as I remembered them. At this point in my life, I don't care if they are (or were) "too popular"; they make me happy and that's all that counts.

Now that makes me feel old, all the shows you mention I used to see as "new anime".
Seems you were/are into adventure/action anime and I haven´t seen any good ones in quite a while. Darker Than Black was OK but it´s more of a action story with superpowers. Fairy Tail is a bit reminiscent of One Piece but I don´t go for that myself.
I´ve found I mostly watch comedy shows nowadays, because that´s one of the few genres that´s actually progressed.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 5:26 am

Did anyone see Kekkaishi? I thought that was a good one... not exactly new though.

Would anybody be able to recommend me some of the better anime from 2010/2011? I have no idea where else to really find this kind of information. Every series these days seem to have either slu*ty, weirdly proportioned female main characters or the main cast is prepubescent, or it has mechs in it. I hate these!

Looking for either good seinen anime or just good action shows in general, as long as the plot is GOOD. There are a lot of them out there with just plain bad storylines like Tenjou Tenge, Black God, Black Cat or Bleach. Also, preferably it shouldn't be several hundred episodes long like Bleach/Naruto. There's only so much I can take :( Thanks everyone!

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 7:42 am

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
Would anybody be able to recommend me some of the better anime from 2010/2011? I have no idea where else to really find this kind of information.

Mision accepted, recent anime is my specialty.

Angel Beats might be a good choice, got action, and is rather emotional. It is made by KEY so can expect story.

Heroman might be a bit of a surprise, Stan Lee worked on it, it is set in America. Yes the show's namesake is tecniquly a mech, but it really does not feel like a mech, it feels very much like the general superhero story with the focus being more on the "normal boy" and his story with his power.

Legend of the Legendary Heroes could be what you are looking for, it has a silly name, but is good, the characters can come off a bit strange, the guy is a mage who acts incredibly aloof, although this is to hide a dark secret, and female is a bit of a detached bruiser, likely a defence mechanism. I would say definetly a good choice for those who like the "aged" action shows, and the stroy can be pretty deep.

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? is a personal favourite with action and dark bits, and action, maybe I will let you have a look at the OP for action HERE. There is a chainsaw, there is some fanservice, but I don't think it is too bad, its best strength though is its comedy.

By the way, did you check out Level E? Be warned that it is not what it looks like at first glance.

Darialan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2012, 8:07 am

According to ANN, this year (not sure when as no real date is given) Inuyasha: The Final Act comes out on dvd/blu-ray.

I'm also into some older animes. I figure on collecting Ranma 1/2 pretty soon. I started on Tenchi Muyo not too long ago and have the two tv season. The newer (but not new) series I don't have and not the OVAs either.

I started watching anime not long after High School with mainly seeing Dragon Ball (the original. Not Z.) and Sailor Moon not long after on tv. So this had to be 96-97. So from there my brother's friend had an uncle, who is a bit young considering how old the friend was, copied off some of his Ranma tapes. He also copied a few movies if i remember correctly. SciFi channel FINALLY hit our cable lineup and showed a lot of anime films on Saturday mornings, which included the original Vampire Hunter D, which is this bloody, gory horror film almost uncensored.

Buuuut I started remembering a Christian series I saw in the 80s called "Flying House" and yet another called "SuperBook." The images of the characters and their eyes and the ever present use of computers and robots made me think "were those anime?" Sure enough, they were. After researching these two were made in Japan for a Japanese audience, but originally the idea was brought to them from some Americans.

So technically, I guess I even saw anime in the 80s. I'm sure there had to be a few in the 80s on tv, but I don't remember watching even one of them, besides the ones above.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 9:19 am

Bradleigh wrote:
By the way, did you check out Level E? Be warned that it is not what it looks like at first glance.

Not yet. Waiting til next month before I start downloading some episodes.

Bradleigh wrote:
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? is a personal favourite with action and dark bits, and action, maybe I will let you have a look at the OP for action HERE. There is a chainsaw, there is some fanservice, but I don't think it is too bad, its best strength though is its comedy.

This was the only one I had a chance to look at (for now). First impression is... school girls in weird middle-ages battle armor? Nope.

Plus I only saw like one male. Looks like it's set up as some sort of harem-style visual novel made to compete with Fate/Stay Night or something. I'm not sure I really like the visual style but I'll have a look at an episode or two to see what it's like. I'll get a better idea when I see some real scenes from the show.

Concretebadger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2012, 1:36 pm

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
Did anyone see Kekkaishi? I thought that was a good one... not exactly new though.

Would anybody be able to recommend me some of the better anime from 2010/2011? I have no idea where else to really find this kind of information. Every series these days seem to have either slu*ty, weirdly proportioned female main characters or the main cast is prepubescent, or it has mechs in it. I hate these!

Looking for either good seinen anime or just good action shows in general, as long as the plot is GOOD. There are a lot of them out there with just plain bad storylines like Tenjou Tenge, Black God, Black Cat or Bleach. Also, preferably it shouldn't be several hundred episodes long like Bleach/Naruto. There's only so much I can take :( Thanks everyone!

I prefer more 'grown up' seinen or josei stuff too, so here's what I've watched in the past year or two that I particularly enjoyed:

Eden of the East - a realistic romance/political thriller
Eve no Jikan (Time of Eve) - SF ONA about humanoid robots in society
Kara no Kyoukai (Garden of Sinners) - supernatural murder-mystery/romance. Dark, angsty, gory and hard to understand but I absolutely loved it (Re: my avatar)
Kuuchuu Burako (Trapeze) - more live-action rotoscoped than animated, but it's very unusual. An eccentric psychologist helps his patients resolve their mental problems.
Mouryou no Hako - murder-mystery set in the 1950s. Very film noir.
Natsume Yuujinchou (Natsume's Book of Friends) - a supernatural folklore drama in a Studio Ghibli vein

I actually checked through my blog's archives and realised how little I'd watched over the past couple of years. I've not even heard of Kekkaishi sadly, but other fans I converse with regularly swear by Full Metal Alchemist and the FMA: Brotherhood retelling. I'm not familiar with either, but they're very popular.

Darialan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2012, 2:04 pm

Another series I'm currently trying to finish via Netflix (dvd) is an older series from 1998. Serial Experiments Lain. Very weird and pretty brilliant, too.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 5:40 pm

Darialan wrote:
Another series I'm currently trying to finish via Netflix (dvd) is an older series from 1998. Serial Experiments Lain. Very weird and pretty brilliant, too.

I found that one to be a bit boring. I saw the first episode and just couldn't be bothered. You have to be in the right mindset to watch it and enjoy it, I think.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

30 Jan 2012, 9:49 pm

I like anime. Some of them. anyway. Like the Japanese version of Sailor Moon. Eden of the East. Princess Jellyfish, among a few others. Don't really care for many of the real popular ones like Naruto or Bleach or stuff like that.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 11:21 pm

SyphonFilter wrote:
I like anime. Some of them. anyway. Like the Japanese version of Sailor Moon. Eden of the East. Princess Jellyfish, among a few others. Don't really care for many of the real popular ones like Naruto or Bleach or stuff like that.

They're usually popular for a reason....

(but yeah Bleach sucks)

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 3:49 am

I used to watch Bleach, until I took too many fillers to the knee. There was only so much I could take, the Bounts ark were mind numbing, that ark which leads that old guy is suposedly good, despite being a huge bigot, actually my hate of certain characters being made as being heroic despite how much they are not sent me over the edge, that damn pretty boy. I liked the first movie, actually the movie only character is one of my favourites in Bleach, but the second just messed with things. It just moves so slow, I much rather watch Fairy Tail, moves much faster and rarely becomes frustating (watched it every week since it started) and characters are all interesting and sympathetic.