Is my friend a bit daft for believing this...?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 3:02 pm

We were watching Celebrity Ghost stories. I commented how I just didn't believe it. He reasoned they wouldn't lie about something like that, since they are famous and have something to lose. I think people like all the time, so why wouldn't famous people?

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 3:04 pm

celebrities always lie. it's called PR

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 3:05 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
We were watching Celebrity Ghost stories. I commented how I just didn't believe it. He reasoned they wouldn't lie about something like that, since they are famous and have something to lose. I think people like all the time, so why wouldn't famous people?

It's called the "Fallacy of Appeal to False Authority". Those celebrities are likely more interested in keeping their names on the lips of their fans than in making valid claims.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 3:11 pm

Fnord wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:

It's called the "Fallacy of Appeal to False Authority". Those celebrities are likely more interested in keeping their names on the lips of their fans than in making valid claims.

That's what I said, in a way. Attention and a paycheck.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 3:30 pm

No sillier than being religious, I suppose.

You will reap what you've sown.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 3:35 pm

Your friend's reasoning is a bit silly, but I believe in spirits so I can't say much on that.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 4:31 pm

abacacus wrote:

Actually, a little more so. I've never had a ghost encounter, don't know anyone who has, don't know anyone who knows anyone who has, and here all these celebrities are seeing ghosts. In religion, they usually admit they've never seen God or a the Holy Spirit, but they try to rationalize it. Then, I guess it depends how you look at it. My what a magical world we live in.

DanRaccoon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2012, 4:56 pm

abacacus wrote:

Except a little more convincing, depending on what religion you are referring to :3

http://www.youtube.com/user/DanRaccoon