Page 8 of 9 [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 1:07 am

NeantHumain wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:
Let me say this one last time...

The unmitigated, unreasonable, unrelenting hostility of atheist zealots toward even the MOST BENIGN expressions of religion in the public sphere is silly, unhelpful, and people on the left WHO ACTUALLY GIVE A DAMN ABOUT PROGRESS AND NOT USELESS POLITICAL GAMES, should discourage this behavior.

IN SUM:

Gay rights and abortion are right-wing BASE ISSUES that many moderates in the south are relatively INDIFFERENT TO.

You see issues like the separation of Church and State, abortion as frivolous cultural issues that their respective activists should be silent on so that a coalition can be built around economic populism instead. Obviously they're pretty important to many and not some silly luxury. As an atheist, I find it deeply offensive that Christians are using public institutions to promote their religion and don't see the point of disregarding Constitutional principles to get a few more Southern Democratic votes. Gay couples don't really see things like gay marriage as frivolous issues either.

The South just happens to be out of step with the rest of the country on many things, and it really isn't acceptable that atheists and other religious minorities, gay people, and others should be treated as second-class citizens because of this. Also, it was right that liberals intervened in the South and forced desegregation even at the cost of Democratic votes. Principles matter.

I'll say this - I'm a Christian, and I agree with everything you said.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 6:43 am

NeantHumain wrote:

Quote:
The South just happens to be out of step with the rest of the country on many things, and it really isn't acceptable that atheists and other religious minorities, gay people, and others should be treated as second-class citizens because of this. Also, it was right that liberals intervened in the South and forced desegregation even at the cost of Democratic votes. Principles matter.

More like the rest of the country is out of step with the south.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 10:33 am

Raptor wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
Quote:

Or more like the south is out of step with the outside world as a whole. :roll:

Do you guys even realize that other religions besides Christianity exist in the USA? Would you be a-okay with a Muslim banner displayed in a public school? Or would you whine your full head off and demand it's removal?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 12:13 pm

marshall wrote:
Raptor wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
Quote:

Do you guys even realize that other religions besides Christianity exist in the USA? Would you be a-okay with a Muslim banner displayed in a public school? Or would you whine your full head off and demand it's removal?

It isn’t like the south is a wilderness. Have you ever heard of Atlanta, Charlotte, Richmond, Orlando, Charleston, Nashville, etc….?
Damn near every race, nationality, and religion in the universe is in Dixie and I haven’t talked to any of them that feel any more disenfranchised than if they lived in NYC or Shitcago, or wherever. In fact there’s a synagogue just a few miles from here.
Get out of your shell and stop watching MSNBC or wherever you get these backward notions from.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 2:57 pm

Raptor wrote:
marshall wrote:
Raptor wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
Quote:

It isn’t like the south is a wilderness. Have you ever heard of Atlanta, Charlotte, Richmond, Orlando, Charleston, Nashville, etc….?
Damn near every race, nationality, and religion in the universe is in Dixie and I haven’t talked to any of them that feel any more disenfranchised than if they lived in NYC or Shitcago, or wherever. In fact there’s a synagogue just a few miles from here.
Get out of your shell and stop watching MSNBC or wherever you get these backward notions from.

Those southern cities you named are culturally more or less blue, and are more in step with the rest of the country than the rest of ol' Dixie.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 3:27 pm

Raptor wrote:
marshall wrote:
Raptor wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
Quote:

You didn't answer his question... if it was a Muslim banner would you defend it being there?

You will reap what you've sown.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 3:56 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
marshall wrote:
Raptor wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
Quote:

Those southern cities you named are culturally more or less blue, and are more in step with the rest of the country than the rest of ol' Dixie.

Spent much time in the south?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 3:59 pm

The South is America's vast, overextended butthole, stretched like goatse.cx from the Atlantic to Texas

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 4:05 pm

abacacus wrote:
Raptor wrote:
marshall wrote:
Raptor wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
Quote:

You didn't answer his question... if it was a Muslim banner would you defend it being there?

#1: I don't have to answer any questions.
#2: Would I defend it being there? No.
But on the other hand I wouldn't object to it either. I don't see anything to object to unless I'm trying to make a name for myself and become a poster child for the ACLU.
:roll:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 4:12 pm

Vigilans wrote:
The South is America's vast, overextended butthole, stretched like goatse.cx from the Atlantic to Texas

So you're saying the southern states are to the United States what Quebec is to Canada, aye?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 4:19 pm

Raptor wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

So you're saying the southern states are to the United States what Quebec is to Canada, aye?

lol yeah basically. That is a generalization though (clearly) there are plenty of good people in either region

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 4:25 pm

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
marshall wrote:
Raptor wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
Quote:

No, but I know enough that urban and suburban areas foster a more progressive, enlightened attitude than small town or rural areas regardless of where you are in the country.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 4:59 pm

Raptor wrote:
abacacus wrote:
Raptor wrote:
marshall wrote:
Raptor wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
Quote:

#1: I don't have to answer any questions.
#2: Would I defend it being there? No.
But on the other hand I wouldn't object to it either. I don't see anything to object to unless I'm trying to make a name for myself and become a poster child for the ACLU.
:roll:

So you'll only defend things if they are in line with your beliefs... interesting.

While you may not have to answer any questions, not answering them removes the point of you being in the debate.

You will reap what you've sown.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 6:06 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

lol yeah basically. That is a generalization though (clearly) there are plenty of good people in either region

I've heard that the further "south" you go in Florida, the further away (culturally) from "the South" you get. Likewise with Louisiana.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 9:07 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
marshall wrote:
Raptor wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
Quote:

No, but I know enough that urban and suburban areas foster a more progressive, enlightened attitude than small town or rural areas regardless of where you are in the country.

So you’re saying that only in the southeast do you find small towns and rural areas. Um, it might come as a surprise to you but I’ve been around a little; pretty much to the four corners of the country give or take and a few other places.
Some people love the rural or small town life for its simplicity, sameness, and freedom. They are not lawfully or morally obliged to drop what they are doing to create a social utopia for anyone that might come along that is different. Big cities, while usually more diverse, are not usually all that wonderful in other regards.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 9:24 pm

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
marshall wrote:
Raptor wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
Quote:

So you’re saying that only in the southeast do you find small towns and rural areas. Um, it might come as a surprise to you but I’ve been around a little; pretty much to the four corners of the country give or take and a few other places.
Some people love the rural or small town life for its simplicity, sameness, and freedom. They are not lawfully or morally obliged to drop what they are doing to create a social utopia for anyone that might come along that is different. Big cities, while usually more diverse, are not usually all that wonderful in other regards.

You may want to reread what I wrote, as I never once said only the southeast has small towns and rural areas. I suspect in order to come to that conclusion, you would have had to have read my post with your eyes closed.