Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

QuantumMichel
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jan 2012, 2:43 pm

For you autistics/aspies, a charismatic leader is supposed to look like what?

Like captain spok? dr Manhatan? Obama? George bush junior?

Its not a multiple choice question, just elaborate and give an example if you want.

auntyjack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2012, 9:17 pm

I am not interested in charisma. I am interested in a leader who is fair, inclusive, respectful and who gets the job done.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 4:42 am

A charismatic Autistic leader is the exact opposite of your typical leader. They are honest, have integrity, are full of compassion and love, are naive, nerdy, and proud of it.

Think of your typical charismatic politician and just think the opposite. That's my view at least.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 5:52 am

A charismatic leader will tell you exactly what you want to hear, promise what you want, and make it sound possible. He will also have vague qualities that can make him appeal to may different classes and ethnicities. But the main thing is, he has a control over what you want, and makes himself seem like he really cares and wants to give that thing to you.

Look at some speech patterns of Obama for instance. I voted for him. I wanted healthcare. But, his charisma comes from not using such an exclusive speech pattern. (We will get to other examples in a minute)

He's a very articulate man. He pronounces his words correctly but without the upper class (which he is) accent. He uses enough words and phrases to register with the upper class, but then also puts some "everyman" phrases in as well. And will occasionally slur a word in there to make him sound working class. Oprah does the same thing when she's not interviewing.

Kennedy had the upper class accent and couldn't or wouldn't change it. However, his focus seemed on the working class and middle class. Because he focused on them, they could "trust" him. Be cause he sounded like them, the upper class could "trust" him.

Hitler, evil but also charismatic, would put on the everyman speech. He held to the idea that because of certain groups, "the rest of us" were in trouble. It was a pure "brothers in arms" idea that he sold.

I am in no way comparing the three. That's like apples, oranges and a cat turd. However, that was their method.

I do something similar. I adopt different mannerisms and speech patterns (not overboard at all) when talking with different people. I want them to relate to me. It's very easy with one or two people or with a large group. A medium sized group of mixxed individuals is much harder to sway, hence parole boards.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

QuantumMichel

27 Jan 2012, 6:36 am

I don't talk about main stream charisma. I ask what would attract YOU.

a leader that say stuff like that on a regular basis is ok for YOU?

Quote:
A live body and a dead body contain the same number of particles. Structurally, there's no discernible difference.--dr Manhattan

Yes, i would have voted for obama over the other one. But its not the point.

Charisma is about how you say things. So how would you want to hear things in order to follow a leader to hell and back? Would dr Manhattan do the trick?

auntyjack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jan 2012, 6:47 am

It is not how they say it that I would follow. It is what they say and then does this person live consistently according to the statements they make. There was one person that I consider an amazing leader in history. It was George V1 of England. When London was bombed, his family stayed, against all advice, because the people had to stay. His daughters volunteered as drivers and mechanics, risking their lives, just as other young British people had to do. They tore up the palace grounds to grow vegetables, just as the people were asked to do with their gardens. They accepted rationing and coupons etc too. To me, that is the sign of a leader. An unassuming man, thrust into a position he appeared to be ill fitted for but he led by example. There are not many like that.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 11:35 am

QuantumMichel wrote:
I don't talk about main stream charisma. I ask what would attract YOU.

a leader that say stuff like that on a regular basis is ok for YOU?
Quote:
A live body and a dead body contain the same number of particles. Structurally, there's no discernible difference.--dr Manhattan

Yes, i would have voted for obama over the other one. But its not the point.

Charisma is about how you say things. So how would you want to hear things in order to follow a leader to hell and back? Would dr Manhattan do the trick?

That's the problem. When I pick up on charm and someone using manipulation to get me to do what they want, it doesn't work. People who follow charmers forget that actions speak louder than words. It's all just a silly game.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 11:52 am

"Charismatic" and "Aspie" are contradictions from my perspective. Maybe I have an elevated view of charisma. :shrug: They just don't seem to go together in my head.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Calder_Grayling
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jan 2012, 9:04 pm

I am interested in neither charisma nor a leader. I am perfectly capable of thinking for myself and acting on my own behalf.

QuantumMichel

27 Jan 2012, 11:25 pm

You are all mistaken, how things are said matters. Its not only what you say, its also intonation of voice, body language, jokes, etc.... With all that the probability you let your self been convinced increases. Its just that charisma in NTs is more irrational and emotional. People following a charismatic cult leader, don't tell them selves they are brain washed and manipulated, they say them selves they making a rational decision.

We all agree Obama doesn't do the trick for us.

What i think its a fictional example (or not so fictional), its the father in big fish (see the film)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d-kjzBmz6I
Most likely this is inspired from a real person. He is an aspie, and tell all the BS stories to fit in socially. I personally suspect baron munchaouzen did the same thing for the same reasons. Yes this trick works trust me.

Now the point is, what does it make you feal a person like that? I think he is ready to lead. Baron munchaouzen was even a military officer.

Calder_Grayling wrote:
I am interested in neither charisma nor a leader. I am perfectly capable of thinking for myself and acting on my own behalf.

A lot of things need collaboration among a lot of people to get done. With no proper leadership, no much would get done.

auntyjack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jan 2012, 3:48 am

QuantumMichel wrote:
You are all mistaken, how things are said matters. Its not only what you say, its also intonation of voice, body language, jokes, etc.... With all that the probability you let your self been convinced increases. Its just that charisma in NTs is more irrational and emotional. People following a charismatic cult leader, don't tell them selves they are brain washed and manipulated, they say them selves they making a rational decision.

If you do not really get a lot from intonation of voice and body language and if you think there is no need for jokes when discussion serious business like politics, you do not really get sucked in by glamour, posturing and appeals to the emotions. What is left is often a lack of substance that is annoying in someone with the power to change our futures. It is true that most people make decisions based on emotions. I do too sometimes, but perhaps that is more likely to be unconsciously paying more attention to facts that support my beliefs than those that contradict them. This is also a failing of typically developing people, but at least, I am aware of the problem and seek advice when making important decisions, so my opinions are less likely to be distorted. People like me are far less attracted to charisma than substance and when faced with both, may not notice the charisma and will still be a attracted to the substance.

Calder_Grayling
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jan 2012, 7:26 am

QuantumMichel wrote:
A lot of things need collaboration among a lot of people to get done. With no proper leadership, no much would get done.

What kind of things do you feel would not get done without the input of a leader?

QuantumMichel

28 Jan 2012, 2:09 pm

auntyjack wrote:
If you do not really get a lot from intonation of voice and body language and if you think there is no need for jokes when discussion serious business like politics, you do not really get sucked in by glamour, posturing and appeals to the emotions. What is left is often a lack of substance that is annoying in someone with the power to change our futures. It is true that most people make decisions based on emotions. I do too sometimes, but perhaps that is more likely to be unconsciously paying more attention to facts that support my beliefs than those that contradict them. This is also a failing of typically developing people, but at least, I am aware of the problem and seek advice when making important decisions, so my opinions are less likely to be distorted. People like me are far less attracted to charisma than substance and when faced with both, may not notice the charisma and will still be a attracted to the substance.

Technically, everything is emotional. Rationality, is something to do with a sence of domination, power, or something like that. Deep down its an emotion.

You never fell in love, how much rationality is there in that? Charisma its something related with falling in love.

Quote:
What kind of things do you feel would not get done without the input of a leader?

Anything requiring more then a couple of people. Some what related, the mess of the european union, is due to the lack of leadership/cohesion.

Calder_Grayling
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jan 2012, 2:45 pm

QuantumMichel wrote:
Quote:

Anything requiring more then a couple of people. Some what related, the mess of the european union, is due to the lack of leadership/cohesion.

No, it's a mess because the wrong people have been allowed to acquire leadership and are leading the EU over the edge of a cliff.

auntyjack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jan 2012, 7:07 pm

QuantumMichel wrote:
Technically, everything is emotional. Rationality, is something to do with a sence of domination, power, or something like that. Deep down its an emotion.

You never fell in love, how much rationality is there in that? Charisma its something related with falling in love.

No. I never did fall in love. I have loved, but that love grew very slowly.