Why do people think Aspies are more likely to b transgender?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2012, 6:15 pm

I looked at a few posts and apparently there was a study or something. I REALLY don't think it was accurate though. Personally I think Aspies are more likely to be open about it, but not more likely to be it. What do you guys think?

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 6:25 pm

Why do people think Aspies are more likely to b transgender?

Because people are generally ignorant and stupid.

QuantumMichel
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jan 2012, 10:18 pm

Actually, thats probably true. Either sex of aspies seem more androgynous then NTs in general.

PersephoneX
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2012, 1:09 am

QuantumMichel wrote:
Actually, thats probably true. Either sex of aspies seem more androgynous then NTs in general.

We are not so easy to program, thus we dismiss the idea that we are trapped in one role. I don't believe that if you have a specific sex organ that you can't express the other attributes etc., for all attributes are within every person. Maybe because we allow ourselves to examine these taboo areas of mind, we might find that we like the expression of one that doesn't necessarily match the one that nature assigned us. I think of myself as androgynous in many ways, although I more express traditional femininity. It just so happens that it matches what nature gave me. I think you can be a woman with a penis or a man with a vagina...I think it's more the psyche that determines it. The rest is kind of programming.

QuantumMichel

27 Jan 2012, 6:22 am

I meant, that since we are more androgynous as a group, probably they are more people on the extremes of the gender spectrum.

PersephoneX
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2012, 7:20 am

QuantumMichel wrote:
I meant, that since we are more androgynous as a group, probably they are more people on the extremes of the gender spectrum.

That's true.

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 12:16 pm

PersephoneX wrote:
QuantumMichel wrote:

We are not so easy to program, thus we dismiss the idea that we are trapped in one role. I don't believe that if you have a specific sex organ that you can't express the other attributes etc., for all attributes are within every person. Maybe because we allow ourselves to examine these taboo areas of mind, we might find that we like the expression of one that doesn't necessarily match the one that nature assigned us. I think of myself as androgynous in many ways, although I more express traditional femininity. It just so happens that it matches what nature gave me. I think you can be a woman with a penis or a man with a vagina...I think it's more the psyche that determines it. The rest is kind of programming.

At least in reference to your post, I think I am the Y to your X :D

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 5:09 pm

theaspiemusician wrote:
I looked at a few posts and apparently there was a study or something.

That there's a small correlation has often and independently been noted. Beyond that it's unclear.

A lot of people seem scared of the idea, because obviously it follows that if a slightly larger number of aspies than expected are trans-, then all aspies are catastrophically infected with The Gay. :roll:

The year is still young.

QuantumMichel

27 Jan 2012, 5:38 pm

<sarcasm>We are ....... an abomination oooouuuuuuu :twisted: </sarcasm>

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 6:32 pm

Ambivalence wrote:
theaspiemusician wrote:
I looked at a few posts and apparently there was a study or something.

That there's a small correlation has often and independently been noted. Beyond that it's unclear.

A lot of people seem scared of the idea, because obviously it follows that if a slightly larger number of aspies than expected are trans-, then all aspies are catastrophically infected with The Gay. :roll:

Precisely.

Besides, seeing as there is tentative evidence that transgenderism is a result of neurology, it's not that far of a leap that "divergent neurology" might have something to do with.............divergent neurology.

I have no idea why some people flip out at the mere suggestion that a transgendered people might (and a big "might" at that) have AS at a greater-then-expected rate.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

PersephoneX
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2012, 2:29 pm

kc8ufv wrote:
PersephoneX wrote:
QuantumMichel wrote:

At least in reference to your post, I think I am the Y to your X :D

I think that almost all/many people are really like us, they just gave in to programming. Programming isn't natural. We are natural. :P

Hexagon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2012, 8:03 pm

I heard that. I researched it, and what a read seemed to confirm that. A british gender therapist said he noticed higher incidence of aspergers in pre-transition transsexuals, especially ftms. I wouldn't know why though. I wasn't aware that most people knew about it though.

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 1:45 am

Hexagon wrote:
I heard that. I researched it, and what a read seemed to confirm that. A british gender therapist said he noticed higher incidence of aspergers in pre-transition transsexuals, especially ftms. I wouldn't know why though. I wasn't aware that most people knew about it though.

Well, as has been noted, it is a trait of many (not all) girls and women with Asperger's to be 'tomboyish' in appearance and behavior, mostly because it's easier to associate with boys and because male clothes are often more comfortable. This, paired with the notion that many Aspies are gender netural; that is, we don't follow gender roles and may at times feel more like one gender than the other...it seems logical that gender dysphoria would be common among those with Asperger's.

I myself identified as FTM for approximately three years, and dealt with feelings of not being a girl for much of my life. However, the last seven years, I've felt entirely female...so, I think, for me at least, Asperger's had a lot to do with it.

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

Shorttail
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2012, 12:56 am

fragileclover wrote:
male clothes are often more comfortable.

It's funny, I find female clothes more comfortable. :P At least skirts. They're sooo handy. I used to tie my shirt around my waist in the summer to get a tiny bit of that feeling. :3

I didn't know the androgyny was so profound.

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 2:10 am

Shorttail wrote:
fragileclover wrote:
male clothes are often more comfortable.

It's funny, I find female clothes more comfortable. :P At least skirts. They're sooo handy. I used to tie my shirt around my waist in the summer to get a tiny bit of that feeling. :3

I didn't know the androgyny was so profound.

Oh, I loathed skirts and dresses when I was young! I basically despised anything feminine. These days, I like dresses and skirts, but never wear them, because I typically have to wear nylons (YUCK) with them. My skin is incredibly pale, due to the fact that I get sun poisoning with the snap of a finger (I've had it three times...all while wearing sunscreen, and being out for an hour or less), so I wear long pants all year around. No one, including me, wants to see those pale things in a dress. :lol:

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

cthulhureqiuem
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2012, 7:52 am

lol you sound like me... im constantly being asked if im anemic because im so pale.