Think I was harshly marked for an essay...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 2:36 pm

I got an essay back a few days ago and it was graded a C. I'm not saying this is a bad mark it's just that when I looked where she marked me down I don't think she was very fair.
For one it said I have many bibliographical errors. First she said I hadn't put the place of publication (yet in the student handbook you don't need to). Then that I should only put down sources I have directly quoted (yet all the other lecturers say even if you don't directly use it if you have read it or parts to help then you should at least include it in the bibliography).

Then there is this PEA (Point, Evidence, Analysis) system. I get really confused when I'm marked using a system like this. She just put next to each paragraph stuff like "P, no E, weak A) yet goes no further in explaining it. I looked and everywhere she said I put no evidence I know I have!
I'm not sure if I should go and talk to her about it though. I mean she's a bit intimidating really and I'm not used to talking to lecturers.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

MusicIsLife2Me
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2012, 2:50 pm

If its face to face you are talking about then perhaps just write her a not to explain how you feel about the grade. That way you can say all you want and have the time to think it through. Lots of people like face to face contact I guess but writing my feelings has always been easier :)

To7m
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2012, 2:50 pm

If the teacher isn't teaching you right, take a marked essay and post it here? There's probably a bunch of people here that could provide good feedback.

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 2:54 pm

With the bibliography parts, it seems she disagrees with the other lecturers and even the student handbook. Nothing you can do about that except remember for next time. For the rest, there's always going to be this problem in subjective grading. You think the thing you wrote was sufficient evidence, she doesn't. For that, you have to talk to her and get specifics. Find out what SHE considers good 'evidence', otherwise you'll just be guessing next time. If she won't help you, find someone who did well on the essay and look how that person did it.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

27 Jan 2012, 3:02 pm

If you have questions about it, go talk to her, but bring a friend as a witness, so it wont just be your word against hers if she was unfair to you. Plus the support of having someone on your side will boost your self confidence.
Always take someone with you when you think their might be some friction between you and someone in authority.

If you dont have any friends that are willing to do this for you, bring a family member or even an advocate not affiliated with the school.

As far as whether she was fair or not, she sounds like a poor teacher because she is giving conflicting information and is not specific...then clobbers you when you dont get it.
If this continues...you and your witness go to the school authority and explain the situation.

You are paying money to go to school,therfore you should get what you pay for... she really sounds like a lousy teacher.

Jojo

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 3:04 pm

This is good advice. Thanks for the replies. :)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Jumla
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jan 2012, 3:48 pm

Can you ask for a second marking by another member of staff? I've requested this at my college when I felt the grading of a piece of work was unduly harsh.