Question for the aspergers guys who desperately want a GF

Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Concretebadger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2012, 6:26 pm

I don't think going into a relationship would completely 'cure' me of my sense of inferiority; I don't take compliments well at the best of times, so how would a romantic relationship be any different there? I couldn't go into it for purely selfish reasons, partly because I'd feel guilty about it but also because I know it wouldn't be healthy for either of us in the long run.

I already know I'm not worthless. It took a lot of soul-searching to make myself realise that and I still have long lapses where I feel downright awful. I'm on good terms with my family though and have a small number of good friends, so I can't be that much of a social failure! I try to remember that I'm still a human being and I mean well. Worst-case scenario is that my honesty and kindness are all I have to offer, but that's still better than nothing and must be of use to someone, somewhere.

I'm not sure if this makes sense, but I couldn't be comfortable unless she and I looked upon each other as equals. I'm not about to leave myself open to exploitation, but I genuinely want to make someone happy. If she feels that her life is better because I'm there, I'd feel that I've achieved something. Despite all the rejections and "you're not my type" conversations, I can't say "I'm incapable of sustaining a meaningful and stable romantic relationship" until I try it.

Convincing a potential girlfriend that I'm worth the chance is a different matter altogether, of course.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 7:07 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
smudge wrote:
MXH wrote:
reminds me, i hate hearing all day long from women online how im such a nice person/handsome/etc. when nobody i meet seems to think the same. Makes me feel lied to

Well, if I ever met you, I'd tell you.

someday, i want to meet you smudge. i think you're awesome and i like that you are straightforward and no-nonsense. i have met very few people who are as honest (with themselves as well as others) as you are.

That is exactly how I view myself, and how I like to be thought of. That is the best compliment I've received in years. Thank you!

I'd like to meet you too, you seem quite thoughtful and analytical in your thinking, which makes you interesting to me.

yay855
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jan 2012, 7:27 pm

I play video games all the time. i do it because i feel like i don't belong on earth. sometimes i wish i could go somewhere where i could start anew. Video games are an escape for me. books used to be as well, but that got lost over the years when my teachers told to read a book when i was misbehaving. Sometimes i feel like i want to live in a cartoon, such as (please try not to laugh) My little pony: Friendship is magic(i know it was aimed at little girls, but i have heard of forty-year-old men who watch that show obsessively. i am not obsessive over this show, and i am almost 16). i recently realized that i feel that way because i think that i will never know what it is like to love, to kiss, or to create a family. i have had two crushes in my life, one when i was in first grade (she was as well) and another in sixth and seventh grade. the first of them was sweet, but i was not the nicest kid back then. my second crush was a big tease. she would hug me, then hug a good friend of mine a few minutes later.eventually she stopped hugging me after i gave up. i realize now that she was (maybe) playing hard to get, mainly because she tried cheering me up once i became depressed again. Maybe she was just a friend, and wanted to stay that way, i don't know. I am currently homeschooled, and i don't know that many girls around my age anymore. I know that i might meet a girl eventually, but i feel like i won't find that special someone. I am overweight, i am a big nerd, and i don't have many friends. One habit i developed over the years is to practice false conformity, where i humor my friends and tell them i agree with them, even if i really don't. Some things, such as not liking certain manga or anime, i tell them the way i really feel. Some things that are normally shunned by that freind, such as my little pony: friendship is magic, i say i don't like them, all because my friend doesn't.

i'm sorry i drifted off topic, i just wanted to get that off my chest.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 8:05 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
smudge wrote:
MXH wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
I don't consider myself desperate, but I worry that since I am not the "it" guy that only exists in the minds of some ad execs, then my only option is to be the guy that people settle for when they can't get anyone else.

reminds me, i hate hearing all day long from women online how im such a nice person/handsome/etc. when nobody i meet seems to think the same. Makes me feel lied to

someday, i want to meet you smudge. i think you're awesome and i like that you are straightforward and no-nonsense. i have met very few people who are as honest (with themselves as well as others) as you are.

Don't be selfish. Let MXH ask her out instead? :lol:

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 8:07 pm

smudge wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
smudge wrote:
MXH wrote:

That is exactly how I view myself, and how I like to be thought of. That is the best compliment I've received in years. Thank you!

I'd like to meet you too, you seem quite thoughtful and analytical in your thinking, which makes you interesting to me.

thanks! :heart:

and MCalavera, i am not hitting on her!! !

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 10:11 pm

smudge wrote:
MXH wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
I don't consider myself desperate, but I worry that since I am not the "it" guy that only exists in the minds of some ad execs, then my only option is to be the guy that people settle for when they can't get anyone else.

same principle applies. I dont feel people say it sincerely, mostly just pity/trying to cheer me up

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 10:24 pm

Sometimes the best things happen to people who wait AND think. It took me a year to realize that I probably had been better off dating my ex-girlfriend's old roommate than my ex. Being single is for me something I've gotten used to. In the words of Roald Dahl:

Quote:
The Prince cried, 'Who's this dirty slut? 'Off with her nut! Off with her nut!' Just then, all in a blaze of light, the Magic Fairy hove in sight, her Magic Wand went swoosh and swish! 'Cindy! 'she cried, 'come make a wish! 'Wish anything and have no doubt 'That I will make it come about!' Cindy answered, 'Oh kind Fairy, This time I shall be more wary. No more Princes, no more money. I have had my taste of honey. I'm wishing for a decent man. They're hard to find. D'you think you can?' Within a minute, Cinderella was married to a lovely feller, A simple jam maker by trade, Who sold good home-made marmalade. Their house was filled with smiles and laughter. And they were happy ever after.

It's the girls you least expect that will probably make you the happiest. Even if you have no chance with a particular girl, give it all you have. And be respectful too.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 2:27 am

I suspect, and this is not directed at anyone in particular, that a lot of guys who think they want a relationship for the right reasons are in denial. When I was younger I would have sworn up and down, and probably believed myself, that the reason I wanted a girlfriend was for companionship and that the reason I was depressed at not having one was simple loneliness.

In reality, the depression came from low self esteem which came from basing my sense of self-worth on the opinions of others. I ended up doing a lot of stuff I regret, putting myself in very negative situations, degrading myself, so I could feel that "at least I'm good enough for someone."

From things I've seen over and over again posted here, I think there are a lot of guys perfectly willing to do the same. I know how hard it is to find an internal source of self-esteem when it seems that the whole world is telling you that you are not good enough, but the first step toward a healthy relationship is to realize that you are worthy of one.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 2:28 pm

I don't want one desperately enough to try for it. As far as the way I look, etc, girls have hit on me before, said they liked me, etc, usually I didn't like them back, but sometimes they were attractive. But, as far as I've been told, I'm good looking, even so far as being called "super hot" by a drunk lady in her late 20s, who just said I was too shy. Meh.

My problem in most of my friendships, just platonic friendships with people, isn't making my friends. I can get my foot in the door, just what happens after is the issue. So I can very easily "make friends" but then people realize I'm actually super weird. I can hide it enough to not look like it in public, but then in private, it's too hard to hide.

But yeah, what holds me back from girls isn't them, it's me, and my own view of myself. I view myself as damaged goods, and this isn't really due to my NVLD/Aspergers, but just generally the course my life has taken. So, I figure concentrating on fixing up stuff that I can, and if a romantic relationship or whatever happens, then it does. But, it's not something I really put much effort into anymore.

The other thing, too, as far as a girl, if I wanted to, I could probably just have sex with lots of random girls, I mean it doesn't seem terribly hard, and people much dumber and less attractive than me manage to do it on a regular basis. But, promiscuous animalistic sex isn't what I want. I'd like a girl that appreciates me, the entirety of me, and unfortunately, I feel that'd be hard to come by, as people in general seem to not appreciate it, so with women, it's narrowed down even more. People sometimes appreciate me for what I can do, what I can do for them, etc, but rarely do I feel they actually genuinely like or love me, they just see me as a weird, but sorta useful person.

Meh, time to play with cars. Whatever.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 3:08 pm

What I am basically saying is that I don't want anyone being with me simply because I was the first guy who showed them any sort of attention.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ThatguyBob
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Feb 2012, 3:19 pm

I want a relationship! They are great. Good for many things.

I need someone to eat my wee wee. :lol:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 3:32 pm

ThatguyBob wrote:
I want a relationship! They are great. Good for many things.

I need someone to eat my wee wee. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 4:01 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

8O 8O 8O :o :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 4:15 pm

A long time ago I wanted a plaything I could dominate. Then I got my Asperger's diagnosis and I understood why I have never had any need for friends. To me it's all about the sex, not the love.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 4:18 pm

Lonermutant wrote:
To me it's all about the sex, not the love.

Do you not have a Norwegian version of a website you can basically trawl through to get what you want?

DanRaccoon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 4:25 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
This is mainly directed towards the guys who have never had anything but romantic rejection, ever.

Do you want a GF because you actually want a relationship, or do you want a GF to make you feel like/prove you are worth something and aren't completely repulsive?

This is a serious question. I think a lot of guys want a GF for the wrong reasons.

Let me clarify this.

You aren't repulsive, none of you. You are worth just as much as those around you. Yes, it's harder to steal a woman's heart when you are a certain way but that has nothing to do with your worth. It's hard to meet girls and even harder to meet a compatible one. That doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with you. You are just different. Do not let this get you down, when you have the underlying potential to be happy. You aren't worthless.

When I think about it it's because society is forcing me to do so when there is really no good reason to have a GF. So the latter for me.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DanRaccoon