Do you often notice spectrum traits in NT gay people?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 2:27 pm

I have, even before I knew a DMAN thing about ASDs.

I'm not saying that some NT gay people aren't the total oppostie of AS in many ways, because they are, but seriously, I've even noticed some very random spectrum traits in these individuals as well.

I don't mean just beaing an "outsider", because that's a part of not being like the rets of society and has nothign to do with autism.

I mean, I really do noitce litlle quirks like sensory overload, peculiar habits/being very particular, a unique thinking or learning style, as well as the fact that NT gays are more likely to be left-handed (very spectrumy trait).

I'm not even saying they might be very mild Aspies because some have these traits and ALL of the abilities that many on the spectrum don't have, I just think it's interesting.

*Edit: I know nearly everyone will have at least one spectrum trait or even a few, since they are human traits, after all. I'm saying that I see the traits more concentrated among NT gays, and to more intense degree even when it is just a few.

Men and women.

HDTV...

Whatever.

Last edited by EXPECIALLY on 29 Jan 2012, 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 3:08 pm

Well, gays are usually withdrawn, and they are outsiders and outcasts, just like Aspies are. Asperger's isn't set in stone, just like everything else. Gay men and Aspie men will both have overprotective mothers often times, which does accelerate things. But for the most part, technically everyone has at least one Aspie trait, and every Aspie has at least one NT trait.

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2012, 3:17 pm

Kind of, but I wouldn't doubt some of the gay people I know actually ARE Asperger's. I mean I know some that don't show Asperger's symptoms at all, but I also know some that are SO Asperger's I literally would love to tell them to get a diagnosis. But I can't because they'd get pissed off and thing I'm calling them "special" or something.

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 4:15 pm

Yes I've been thinking that gayness, as well as asexuality and transgenderism, and Asperger's can be the manifestations of the same evolutionary "strategy" (yes I know evolution doesn't have motives but if a trait is useful it stays around in the genetic pool).

Specifically: that certain environmental cues cause an organism to develop (either while still in utero or during development) traits that would maximize their potential as the "engineers" of society and minimize it as "reproducers."

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 4:26 pm

purchase wrote:
Yes I've been thinking that gayness, as well as asexuality and transgenderism, and Asperger's can be the manifestations of the same evolutionary "strategy" (yes I know evolution doesn't have motives but if a trait is useful it stays around in the genetic pool).

Specifically: that certain environmental cues cause an organism to develop (either while still in utero or during development) traits that would maximize their potential as the "engineers" of society and minimize it as "reproducers."

ITA, I've been thinking so for a long time.

I do not think it's coincidental at all that so many Aspies are gay and asexual, population control method.

I've never really understood WHY gifted people or people with a "purpose" would need to be limited, population wise, but what you say about "engineers" V"reproducers" makes sense, the engineers need to have a narrow focus to allow them to serve their purpose and not be distracted.

HDTV...

Whatever.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 4:36 pm

purchase wrote:

I remember someone hypothesizing that while some brain-traits are maximized at either end of the gender spectrum ('extremely' male- or female-brained), that there might be other traits that are maximized when the brain's gender is 'mixed' and sort of in the middle.

And another idea was that it would give society people with unusual brains for their given social role (man or woman) in society, and that that could add some diversity to problem solving and such.

As far as I know no one knows if there is evidence for those ideas, though. But it is interesting to wonder about.

strangethingie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Feb 2012, 7:33 pm

Come to think of it, most of my gay friends particularly men are overly obsessed with things!

invisiblespectrum
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Feb 2012, 11:47 pm

No.

I feel like I should have a longer answer, but I don't.