Page 380 of 401 [ 6413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 377, 378, 379, 380, 381, 382, 383 ... 401  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2020, 2:47 am

honeytoast wrote:
Pepe wrote:
honeytoast wrote:
The orcs are nice folks.

So sayeth their Infernal Majesty. :twisted:

I think I will make that into a character for DnD :twisted:

Good idea, mistress.
May I be of assistance? :mrgreen:

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2020, 4:08 am

blazingstar wrote:
Anyone who has read The Malay Archipelago would be difficult for me to forget.

Thank you! So, that's one....

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2020, 5:51 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

I’m curious: Are you interested in life sciences? Exploration? Historical accounts?

Mildly wondering what led you to The Malay Archepelago.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2020, 11:32 am

I wonder if anyone even noticed that I was gone for... I don’t actually know how long, a week, maybe? I was just obsessing hard and didn’t even think to check in. But I’m pretty much the definition of “out of sight, out of mind,” I think. Heck, even when I’m in sight, people seem to forget I’m there.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2020, 4:38 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I wonder if anyone even noticed that I was gone for... I don’t actually know how long, a week, maybe? I was just obsessing hard and didn’t even think to check in. But I’m pretty much the definition of “out of sight, out of mind,” I think. Heck, even when I’m in sight, people seem to forget I’m there.

Who are you? :scratch:
Why are you here? :scratch: :mrgreen:

malavois
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2020, 5:56 pm

Didn’t think I’d be unpopular so fast, but I guess I could have expected as much. Every group has an in-group and I’m always too opinionated and tone-deaf to fit in. Who knew that I’d be tone-deaf even by the standards of a message board for autistic people?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2020, 9:29 pm

malavois wrote:
Didn’t think I’d be unpopular so fast, but I guess I could have expected as much. Every group has an in-group and I’m always too opinionated and tone-deaf to fit in. Who knew that I’d be tone-deaf even by the standards of a message board for autistic people?

You aren't.

You mentioned you have depression.
I think that may be causing negative internal dialogue.
There is nothing I can see to justify your belief you don't fit in.
From where I sit, you are being too hard on yourself. ;)

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2020, 6:29 am

malavois wrote:

You aren’t unpopular, just new. It takes a while to figure out how everything works. When I was new someone berated me for a joke I made about NTs. I thought about never coming back. Instead, I apologized like you did and it is long forgotten. I don’t even know who made that post.

Many of us make similar mistakes, over and over again.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2020, 7:20 am

malavois wrote:
I have more than 10 times the number of posts you do...so that makes me over 10 times as unpopular as you are. Hang in there...

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2020, 8:40 am

blazingstar wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

I’m curious: Are you interested in life sciences? Exploration? Historical accounts?

Science in general, but zoology is a particular obsession.... They had a paperback copy in Waterstones- couldn't believe my eyes when I spotted it, and there was no way I was leaving it there! How 'bout you?

malavois
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Oct 2020, 1:40 am

Wow, thanks y’all! I’m glad I didn’t just leave and never come back :)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2020, 4:38 am

blazingstar wrote:
malavois wrote:

You aren’t unpopular, just new. It takes a while to figure out how everything works. When I was new someone berated me for a joke I made about NTs. I thought about never coming back. Instead, I apologized like you did and it is long forgotten. I don’t even know who made that post.

Many of us make similar mistakes, over and over again.

Making fun of NTs isn't a mistake. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2020, 4:39 am

malavois wrote:
Wow, thanks y’all! I’m glad I didn’t just leave and never come back :)

Why so surprised?
Weirdos are welcome here. :mrgreen:

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2020, 5:37 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
PhosphorusDecree wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

Science in general, but zoology is a particular obsession.... They had a paperback copy in Waterstones- couldn't believe my eyes when I spotted it, and there was no way I was leaving it there! How 'bout you?

My original interest was in field biology/ecology and my education ran like general biology/botany/mycology. I’ve always been fascinated of the historical accounts of explorations, the sort of “when the world was new” type. The accounts of the botanists traveling along with the teams of explorers. Ethnobotany has been a more recent interest.

I just finished reading Into the Silence by Wade Davis. One River, same author was fascinating. I wish I could have studied under Richard Schultes or E. O. Wilson.

Do you have any reading suggestions?

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Nov 2020, 8:43 am

Lab Girl by Hope Jahren is about the life experiences of a botanist. It’s pretty good.

Does anyone have any suggestions for adult books to read based on childhood fairytales? I like books that have a hint of being based on of children’s books but not really.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2020, 10:31 am

malavois wrote:

You seem agreeable so far. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う