Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Yumeji
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2012, 9:59 pm

Every once in a while I will encounter someone from my past (i.e., elementary, secondary, post-secondary, work, or family friends) and the inevitable question always comes up--"what have you been up to?" Unfortunately, I haven't been employed since 2006 as I was unable to hold a job for longer than a week. Nor have I completed any post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree despite attending several post secondaries. Thus making this question rather awkward and uncomfortable for me to answer. In addition, not many people know I went through a lot of psychological trauma when I was younger, suffered silently with an anxiety disorder, and was diagnosed with Asperger's in my mid-20's. I am now applying to a design program at a local school, but how do I explain the large gap to acquaintances, old friends, employers, etc.?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 10:06 pm

Yumeji wrote:
Every once in a while I will encounter someone from my past (i.e., elementary, secondary, post-secondary, work, or family friends) and the inevitable question always comes up--"what have you been up to?" Unfortunately, I haven't been employed since 2006 as I was unable to hold a job for longer than a week. Nor have I completed any post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree despite attending several post secondaries. Thus making this question rather awkward and uncomfortable for me to answer. In addition, not many people know I went through a lot of psychological trauma when I was younger, suffered silently with an anxiety disorder, and was diagnosed with Asperger's in my mid-20's. I am now applying to a design program at a local school, but how do I explain the large gap to acquaintances, old friends, employers, etc.?

You reply "Just enjoying life, how about yourself?" If they press the issue just say you're an artist, which it sounds like you might actually be, whether you've done commercial prohejects or not.

NicoleG
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 12:33 am

You can also say, "Oh, I've just been doing the odd jobs here and there," if they ask you about work history. It's not unheard of for someone mid-20s to have just been "floating around." After that you can say, "I've finally decided to buckle down and now I'm back in school." That will hopefully change the subject and move the other person's interest towards your current activities and away from the history gap.