Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

poet4peace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2012, 4:52 pm

I am taking a course in abnormal psychology and one of the assignments is to read a biography and write a paper on it. Since I have ASD I want to do a book and paper on that. The book needs to describe the person and their life, behaviors and etc. because I need to make a comparison to the text or the DSMIV and see if the person's symptoms follow the diagnosis pattern. The book also needs to be interesting, and hopefully something I haven't read since I want to do a book that is new to me. Does anyone have suggestions? The book can be fiction or nonfiction, but I prefer nonfiction. Please say if the book is true or not in your comments, also a little of what is about, like adult with aspergers, child with autism, etc. Thanks in advance for any help.

doctissima
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Jan 2012, 5:48 pm

You may have already read these, but the top three that come into my head are: _Look Me in the Eye_, _Pretending to Be Normal_, and _The Journal of Best Practices_. The last one is about a man who learns he has Asperger's 5 years into married life, and all the things he does as a result in order to try to save his marriage. It's sweet, although I thought it got slow about half-way through. I've just started _Look Me in the Eye_. It's pretty good so far...

poet4peace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2012, 7:11 pm

I've read look me in the eye, but haven't heard of the other two. Thanks. What is pretending to be normal about?

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 8:53 pm

I really liked Songs Of The Gorilla Nation. It's a memoir about a woman who is diagnosed as an adult with Asperger's and it describes her difficulty with university (sensory and social difficulties), and how she doesn't understand human interaction until she begins working with gorillas in a zoo and then she begins to understand non verbal behaviours.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

doctissima
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Jan 2012, 9:15 pm

Quote:
What is pretending to be normal about?

I haven't read it, but I really want to. It's about a woman who's diagnosed with Asperger's as an adult, when her daughter is diagnosed. You can read an excerpt here:

http://www.amazon.com/Pretending-Be-Nor ... 1853027499