Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 6:50 pm

Link (sonar pictures and video included):
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-209327 ... c-Sea.html

Quote:
Shipwreck surveyors found a remarkable object in the depths of the Baltic Sea, but before they start celebrating, they need to figure out what it is.

A Swedish company named Ocean Explorer have discovered an unidentified object using their sonar technology in a secret location in the Baltic Sea.

Because of a lack of funding and bad timing, they have not been able to pull a team together to see for themselves.

Their sonar pictures show that the object is a massive cylinder with a 60 metre diameter and a 400 metre-long tail.

A similar disk-shaped object was also found about 200 metres away.

At this point, the story behind the object is anyone's guess.

'We've heard lots of different kinds of explanations, from George Lucas's spaceship -- the Millennium Falcon -- to 'it's some kind of plug to the inner world,' like it should be hell down there or something,' said Peter Lindberg, a diver on the team.

While the Ocean Explorer team is understandably excited about their potentially earth-shattering find, others are slightly more sceptical and are questioning the accuracy of the sonar technology.

(More in the link.)

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 7:10 pm

Quote:
Is it worth considering that it could be the top of an ancient undersea volcano?

What I thought and what someone from Australia also thought. :wink:

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 8:01 pm

Volcanoes in the seabed of the Baltic Sea are highly unlikely, to say the least, as the continental plate is very thick, there. Eruptions seek places with the least resistance, and that isn't anywhere close to the Baltic Sea. As such, that explanation isn't possible.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 8:37 pm

Quote:
Their sonar pictures show that the object is a massive cylinder with a 60 metre diameter and a 400 metre-long tail. A similar disk-shaped object was also found about 200 metres away.

How can a cylinder and a disc be similar? How did they determine the dimensions? Was the system calibrated against a known object? What are the latitude and longitude of the object?

Finally, why even reference it as a UFO when it is clearly a USO - an Unidentified Submerged Object?

Here is a link to the Same Article on the CNN Website.

Here is a link to the ORIGINAL story from July of 2011: "Cylon Raider or Algae?", so it seems obvious that someone is just trying to renew interest in an old story.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

31 Jan 2012, 9:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
it seems obvious that someone is just trying to renew interest in an old story.
Yes indeed - that'll be about where The Daily Mail steps in with its unique form of "quality" journalism.
They'll probably find a way of linking it to Princess Diana and claim it's a cause of cancer.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2 ... noscript=1

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 9:07 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Fnord wrote:
it seems obvious that someone is just trying to renew interest in an old story.
Yes indeed - that'll be about where The Daily Mail steps in with its unique form of "quality" journalism. They'll probably find a way of linking it to Princess Diana and claim it's a cause of cancer.

Without linking any of it to Mr. Obama's birth certificate? I'd like to see them try!

:lol:

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

31 Jan 2012, 9:13 pm

Quote:
'it's some kind of plug to the inner world,' like it should be hell down there or something.

LOL!! :lmao:

who knew the highway to hell was in the middle of the Baltic Sea??! !??

Jojo

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 9:47 pm

I myself wrote 'UFO-like', in the subject, as USO is a less recognized term, when it comes to making the connection with the term to alien spaceships. Thread subjects can only hold sixty characters, so I couldn't write 'UFO/USO-like'.

I didn't know that The Daily Mail was a crappy newspaper/online newspaper, and that it actually was an old article. Either way, the report is elsewhere, as well, as Fnord pointed out. Crappy newspaper or not, the object(s) is/are there... if it's an alien spaceship or not is another question. Unfortunately, it probably is something far less interesting.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 10:26 pm

It's obviously the wreck of the spacecraft that brought aspies to Earth.

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 10:36 pm

Declension wrote:

Hmm... that sounds plausible, seeing as I'm from Sweden and all. :P

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 11:07 am

Declension wrote:

We'll know that only if they (1) prove that it is a spacecraft, and (2) they find the remains of Alien Snake People on board.

:wink:

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 10:52 pm

very cool! its A shame that they will be told to keep it quiet if it is anything like a space craft. The world is so much cooler then people think!

dr01dguy
Toucan
Toucan

01 Feb 2012, 11:21 pm

You know, given the location, I'd be kind of careful about poking around at what could easily be... well, you know... maybe a sunken cold war era Soviet submarine whose nuclear reactor now has a rather unstable & badly-corroded containment vessel?

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 2:25 am

Could be anything from a weird rock formation, to a submarine of some sort, to an experimental air/water craft. I doubt it's an alien space craft.

It'd be neat to go down and find out for myself.

You will reap what you've sown.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 2:57 pm

A cylinder larger than a USN nuclear aircraft carrier at the bottom of the Baltic?

Its obviously the plug.

You know- that keeps the Baltic from going down the drain.

So they shouldnt mess with it.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 3:08 pm

British maritime historian, Professor Andrew Lambert, says the costs of recovery are now too high for most. "If you want to stand in a cold shower tearing up £50 notes, go shipwreck hunting,"