Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2006, 1:40 pm

Hello,

I'm looking for a drum machine software, for Mac or PC, do you know something good ?

Thanks !

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2006, 3:07 pm

I don't have one, but I love the sound of the drum machine. It just makes me feel really energized and enthusiastic. Moreso than the sound of a real drum, oddly enough.

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2006, 3:41 pm

Yupa wrote:
I don't have one, but I love the sound of the drum machine. It just makes me feel really energized and enthusiastic. Moreso than the sound of a real drum, oddly enough.

The only band that I like who use a drum machine or sound like a drum machine on somes songs is Alanis Morissette. Except her, I like dm in industrial techno bands or experimental music.

I need one cause I don't play drum and I need to do some drum tracks.

See ya !

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2006, 6:05 am

I found a drum machine programme which is freeware.

It's called HammerHead Rhythm Station.

It's pretty good and I've been occupied by it for hours.

I don't think it's a one used with Alanis Morrisette though, but it's good.

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Oct 2006, 7:25 pm

Drum machine trying to emulate real drums = bad.

DM in electronic music is the only way.

I just recently bought a Boss DR-660 drum machine. Such a cute little device! Maybe its just my speakers or I'm not mastering the sound properly but the hardware DM just sounds better, more oomph than software counterparts.

Oh if you want a good quality software drum machine get Battery (sample based) or if you want to sythesize get DR-008 (synth and sample).

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 1:33 am

Well..

One that takes quite a bit of getting used to is Ableton live...

But once you do, you'll find it can do almost anything percussion wise...

I like to combine programs though to create a unique sound..

Recommended programs for electro stuff:

Ableton live, adobe audition, cubase, fruityloops, sound forge..

Oh and message me if you need any help, or you wanna hear some of my stuff, been working at it for a long time now..

its definately experimental :P

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2006, 6:12 am

Hello Scintillate.

I would interested in hearing your music. I'm quite new to all of this myself and would like to learn a bit more about music recording and production.

I currently use FL Studio which I think is great, although recording audio can be a bit fiddly and annoying but its realyl good for loop recording of MIDI instruments / VSTi and drums.

My biggest problem is nothing to do with the actual process of recording, but composition, expanding ideas etc. How do you go about song writing?

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 9:28 am

Edited for obvious coherence flaws at the time of writing:

Hmmn, well to tell you the truth.. I'd been thinking about structure a long time before I ever made a song..

But the way I like to do it is, approach it with a loose idea of where its gonna go, (ie: big journey building up, doof song becoming something else etc) then edit it over a few months into something like what I imagined in the first place..

It's weird you say that, because production took me 2 years to learn, and structure was always natural for me, I've got 100 tracks finished in terms of structure, and each one is different, I think in reference to a song structure, don't look for rules or a system of guidelines..

Simply think about dynamics, if that bit feels repetetive, make the next bit a tad crazy, if that bits a bit too overbearing, bring down the next part, eventually you realise you end up with a whole song structure.. I admit usually I have the layout loosely in my head before I even start, a certain build up or something, so I tend to just.. go with my gut feeling.. if you get me?

Sometimes I do it a different way having it exactly planned from the start, and cutting and chopping it (with a program like sound forge) until it fits the dynamics I've planned it to do.

The greatest bit of advice is this though, try to never repeat yourself, if you've done a structure once, try to reach the same buildup, in a different way, and you'll find there are infinate variations to the dynamics of a song.

However for me, once I got to 100 tracks, on 7 different projects, I'd used up every structure I could come up with, but I don't really need any more, I'll just release these over the next few years..

[email protected] if you wanna trade tunes, or if you want me to clarify the slop I wrote above :P

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Oct 2006, 10:23 pm

Alternative wrote:
I found a drum machine programme which is freeware.
It's called HammerHead Rhythm Station.

Thanks,

I'll try it soon.

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Oct 2006, 10:32 pm

Jonny wrote:
Oh if you want a good quality software drum machine get Battery (sample based) or if you want to sythesize get DR-008 (synth and sample).

I prefer software cause the price could be very different then buying materiel ...

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Oct 2006, 10:47 pm

Scintillate wrote:
Ableton live, adobe audition, cubase, fruityloops, sound forge..

I used Sound Forge and Acid Pro a bit, now I use Audacity (open source).

I also got Nuendo but I didn't had time for it.

What I want to do is to record all my guitar and bass riff into differents style, rythm, mix matches and when I'll get that into a bank I'll make songs with differents musicians for fun.

It's a long time project.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

01 Nov 2006, 12:06 pm

the only person i've heard so far that knows how to correctly use a drum machine is that guy from necrophagist, it actually sounds like there's someone behind a drumkit playing instead of a machine. for this reason i don't like drum machines

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Nov 2006, 11:43 pm

richardbenson wrote:
the only person i've heard so far that knows how to correctly use a drum machine is that guy from necrophagist, it actually sounds like there's someone behind a drumkit playing instead of a machine. for this reason i don't like drum machines

I listened to Extreme Unction who was recorded with a drum machine, it sound realy good, he done a good job.

Friday night I'm going to see Anonymus, Ghoulunatics, A perfect Murder, f**k The Facts, Profugus Mortis, Beyond these walls and Gotherfall

Do you know one of theses bands ?

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2006, 12:22 am

Never heard of any of those!! !

Ever heard the band "Meshuggah"?

They usually use an AMAZING drummer (on albums "chaosphere" and "nothing")

However on their most recent release (CATCH 33) they programmed the drums, to awesome effect, simply because the rhythyms work in a way that could be played yes, but would take years to learn.

Its say an hour long, and the rhythym works through the ENTIRE album, meaning... Every song is joined together and flows and builds in a structure beyond comprehension in less than 10 listens.

Lightbearer
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Nov 2006, 5:12 am

I remember teh most constant member of the Sisters of Mercy , has been their drum machine 'Doctor Avalanche'--- beign a teen in the eighties virtually every top ten band of teh day had drum machine's! Duran Duran,Depeche mode,Human League, and that guy, whats his name ?
GARY NUMAN ! :wink:

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

02 Nov 2006, 9:50 am

Scintillate wrote:
Ever heard the band "Meshuggah"?
the rhythym works through the ENTIRE album, meaning, Every song is joined together and flows and builds in a structure beyond comprehension in less than 10 listens.
yeah i've heard meshuggah, i don't like them because i don't like time signatures. (too complicated) :wink: but that cool you like them