Tennessee Teabaggers want US history to be whitewashed.

Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Abgal64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Feb 2012, 2:10 pm

JWC wrote:
Abgal64 wrote:
PM wrote:
The only way to fix the horror story that is the american education system is to have a federally mandated system that the states have no control over, preferably modeled after Japan.
+1.

You realize this would turn every school into nothing more than a public brainwashing station. Giving politicians and bureaucrats control over ideas is a dangerous proposition.
Just like in Finland! Or Germany! Or Japan! Yes, they are all ignorant and mindless slaves of the state, correct? :lol:

That is very similar to the arguments so many Americans make against single-payer healthcare... even though it works marvelously in freedom-loving Australia, Britain and France.

In short, your arguments simply do not hold up to actual facts.

JWC
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 3:44 pm

Abgal64 wrote:
JWC wrote:
Abgal64 wrote:
PM wrote:
The only way to fix the horror story that is the american education system is to have a federally mandated system that the states have no control over, preferably modeled after Japan.
+1.

You realize this would turn every school into nothing more than a public brainwashing station. Giving politicians and bureaucrats control over ideas is a dangerous proposition.
Just like in Finland! Or Germany! Or Japan! Yes, they are all ignorant and mindless slaves of the state, correct? :lol:

Only a mindless slave of the state would say that.

That is very similar to the arguments so many Americans make against single-payer healthcare... even though it works marvelously in freedom-loving Australia, Britain and France.

You ever seen a British person's teeth? That ain't healthy at all!

In short, your arguments simply do not hold up to actual facts.

The facts are whatever Big Brother tells you they are!

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 3:56 pm

Better the brainwashing is done at home by unqualified parents of religious inclination, than in a public institution where the brainwashing involves actual learning and standardized curriculum :P

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 3:57 pm

On the issue of Jefferson and slavery: Thomas Jefferson did oppose slavery very strongly, but he also was a slave-owner himself. However, the slaves he owned were the property of his father that he had inherited along with at least 5,000 or so acres of land (on which he would later build Monticello). Though he did want to free his slaves, he had many debts and law at the time dictated that if you were a slave-owner who was in debt, you could not legally free your slaves until it was paid off. Unfortunately, though, he was never able to do this. He did, however, see to it that they were trained in certain professions, so we can't assume he treated them too harshly.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 4:08 pm

JWC wrote:

Maybe they don't have socialized dentistry.

There are a lot of people in the USA with bad teeth, too.

JWC
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 4:19 pm

pandabear wrote:
JWC wrote:

Maybe they don't have socialized dentistry.

There are a lot of people in the USA with bad teeth, too.

Actually, according to the Scottish guy 2 cubes down from me, they do have socialized dentistry. I just so happens that the program pays the dentists more for pulling teeth than it does for filling cavities. Hence most people avoid the dentist at all costs because tooth extraction is commonly prescribed in response to any tooth decay.

I don't know anything about this guy's political leanings, nor have I vetted his claim, but it's the only explanation I've ever heard.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 4:20 pm

Socialized dentistry or not, I notice most people dislike going to the dentist...

JWC
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 4:36 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Socialized dentistry or not, I notice most people dislike going to the dentist...

Absolutely. But you'd dislike it a lot more if you knew that they were going to pull a tooth every time you went in, even if you only had a cavity or two.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 5:18 pm

JWC wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Absolutely. But you'd dislike it a lot more if you knew that they were going to pull a tooth every time you went in, even if you only had a cavity or two.

Not really. If I ever get the money the money together, I intend to get all of my teeth pulled and replaced with dental implants.

I have atrocious teeth because my dentist when I was young insisted I didn't need braces, despite me having a terrible underbite and several teeth at odd angles.

You will reap what you've sown.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 5:40 pm

JWC wrote:
Actually, according to the Scottish guy 2 cubes down from me, they do have socialized dentistry. I just so happens that the program pays the dentists more for pulling teeth than it does for filling cavities. Hence most people avoid the dentist at all costs because tooth extraction is commonly prescribed in response to any tooth decay.

Many dentists in America are just as bad. They try to get you to have expensive dental work, because they have to pay back their student loans, pay for their expensive equipment, pay the rent, etc.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 5:44 pm

abacacus wrote:
If I ever get the money the money together, I intend to get all of my teeth pulled and replaced with dental implants.

I have atrocious teeth because my dentist when I was young insisted I didn't need braces, despite me having a terrible underbite and several teeth at odd angles.

If you're going to go to that extreme, then you should probably consider taking a medical holiday to a place like Thailand. The dental work plus the air fare and accomodations will work out to be a lot cheaper than having the work done in the USA.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 1:45 am

As I recall, that living history text and intellectual Giant in general - Michelle Bachmann - had claimed the Founding Fathers had worked tirelessly to end slavery, till it was no more!

Just so that my fellow Aspies know, I'm being sarcastic. More than once, sarcasm and humor has gone over the heads of WP members - me included.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 3:01 am

If the current line up is the best the Republicans can muster, America is royally f****d unless Obama wins :lol:

You will reap what you've sown.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 3:17 am

abacacus wrote:
If the current line up is the best the Republicans can muster, America is royally f**** unless Obama wins :lol:

That's my prediction.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 6:02 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
abacacus wrote:
If the current line up is the best the Republicans can muster, America is royally f**** unless Obama wins :lol:

That's my prediction.

it's all a horror movie that i want to be done and overwith already.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 6:33 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
abacacus wrote:

That's my prediction.

it's all a horror movie that i want to be done and overwith already.

I usually like horror movies, and as a political junkie, presidential elections are my Superbowl. But to be sure, the hate directed at out president, and the Republicans turning cannibal and eating each other seems to be uglier than usual. Then again, maybe I'm just remembering the past as being better than it was!