Conversational topics you find boring

Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 12:42 am

Cars and politics come to mind.
Apparently about half of whatever is being told to me at the moment. :)
Myself. I already know enough about me and would usually talk about the other person.

I think I am more observer than talker. I like to see how people see themselves and how they see themselves in relation to everything else.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 12:53 am

dianthus wrote:
marshall wrote:
Pretty much 99.9% of what comes out of people's mouth IRL is boring.

^This. There are very few topics I would find remotely interesting. 30 seconds into almost any conversation and I am already drifting off.

But if I really like someone, I can talk to them about the most boring things, and still be fascinated. For me it's more about who I'm talking to, rather than the topic.

I hate making conversation for it's own sake. Like when people thrown together by circumstances feel obligated to talk, I just don't see the point.

One-on-one conversations are a lot easier. Even if the topic isn't much above small talk it's still more intimate. I have the aspie/autistic tendency to make mostly observational conversation and don't ask a whole lot of questions unless I really force myself to because I really want to get to know someone. I also like being supportive/empathetic if someone comes to me to vent or something.

It's in groups where I have trouble. It's too easy to just check out the moment I get bored and then it's hard joining back in even if I want to. I mean, if I've been quiet for over 10 minutes it begins to feel like I'm not really "part of the group". Especially if I'm not really in the mood to attempt to insert some witty statement or add my 2 cents every so often. Then it really sucks if I just get steamrolled by the louder members and can't get a word in edge-wise whenever I do have something thoughtful to say. If I'm not bored and ready to leave I end up feeling irritable and cranky for some reason or another. It might be partially sensory issues as heavy background noise gets to me really quick.

Last edited by marshall on 03 Feb 2012, 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 12:56 am

I find politics incredibly boring. I konw I shouldn't, but I just don't care about what happens in Washington DC because I cannot affect the outcome and I've made it a rule to ignore things I can't change. And no, my vote doesn't change anything because not only has there never been a race in all of human history to come down to a single vote, the fact is if I were to vote according to who I actually wanted to see elected, I'd vote for third party candidates who have no realistic chance of winning. I don't follow politics for the same reason I don't worry about the Yellowstone volcano erupting. There's nothing I can do about it so why bother? Second is professional sports. I just can't see the appeal of watching overpaid athletes play a game where absolutely nothing is at stake. Sure there's championships and trophies, but none of those things matter in the long term. I think this nation would be a much better place if we stopped focusing so much on idiotic things like which baseball/football/basketball team is winning and started focusing on problems that actually matter. Naturally, these aren't terribly popular opinions so I normally keep them to myself.

Myers-Briggs: INTJ
AQ: 44

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 1:19 am

Most conversation topics are interesting to me. There is always some weird or ridiculous aspect to everything, and I enjoy talking about those. I would have fit in on "Seinfeld", show about nothing.

Nick88
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Feb 2012, 12:46 pm

Politics - anything to do with the economy and the government. This includes all the eurozone crap.

Any sports im not interested in i.e - horse riding , rugby.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2012, 1:17 pm

When people keep on about the dentist, expressing how scared they are of them.

bruinsy33
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 May 2012, 3:39 pm

I have a limited number of interests.When I am in a group situation for the most part I find 99% of the topics boring and appear aloof.It is something I have had to work on .