theemor
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2012, 2:57 pm

Just a laptop I have as a replacement:

AMD Phenom II N950 Quad-Core

6 GB RAM

750 GB HDD

Some not very good GPU, all I remember is that it has 1 or 2 GB dedicated V-RAM which probably doesn't tell you much.

188,832 @ 556,400

жжжжжжжжжжжжжжжжжжжжжжжж
COOL CLUB CODEX
жжжжжжжжжжжжжжжжжжжжжжжж

dragonfly224
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Feb 2012, 9:39 am

Just got another ssd! God I love these things. I wonder how hard it would be to build a laptop from base parts....Do they even sell laptop chassis?

DC
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 10:07 am

pavelow wrote:
memory as in ram, or memory as in disk space?

ram- because I use a heap of virtual machines at once as environments for testing server and network setups... and I have a nasty habit of leaving heaps of tabs open in chrome.

disk capacity - because I use this machine as a network file server and as a pxe server for booting other machines, basically it stores OS images, HDD images[for virtual machines], recorded TV, game footage, games, as well as several years worth of backups, am into photography too, and raw images are not small, data redundancy is good also.

A couple of years ago some copper thieves raided my local power grid and maliciously rewired it for a laugh.

Next morning as people got up and started using electricity 900V got sent down the live & neutral wires blowing out the power to thousands of homes, 2 houses burned down completely and when I went round to check on my neighbours their electricity meter had blown off the wall, across the kitchen and melted itself into the UPVC backdoor.

I only mention this because I was backing stuff up on to a NAS box sitting behind a UPS.

Bye Bye data.

If your backup regime isn't offsite, unplugged and in a fireproof safe, you have a false sense of security.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 10:42 am

unless your UPS has surge protection up to 10kv peaks.
i actually thought that was normal in a proper UPS.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

dragonfly224
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Feb 2012, 9:15 am

Oodain wrote:

I think this is normal as well, the company I work for has 3 surge protectors that take 10kv each for our servers and each computer has one that can take 7-8kv on the chin. Overkill? Maybe...But would save >50k usd in software alone should something happen.

pavelow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2012, 6:05 am

yeah, all my stuff is behind an apc 1500va UPS and 2 layers of surge protectors, as for offsite backup, not so much, but I am working on it... does anyone have any suggestions?, would a NAS sitting in the garage/shed suffice?

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 11:16 am

to be honest if you dont have any sensitive data its just as cheap to use a 3rd party hosted service,

i think i payed around 5 dollars a month for the service i used to use, now i use our company servers.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 11:46 am

Oodain wrote:

Nope.

It was a proper UPS.

Belkin 1200va

What happened wasn't a 'surge' a temporary spike in supply, it was the grid being rewired to pump sufficient power down both the live & neutral to burn down houses.

It's a bit like saying just because you have bullet proof windows you can sit comfortably in it unscathed while 3 divisions of marines launch a sustained artillery bombardment.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 11:54 am

if i were to run 690v volts to a UPS protected pc (from a 15kw gennie) then the UPS would almost instantly trip its fuse and while i agree that there is a difference in peak and average power there is little doubt that when your UPS is designed to handle the transients from lightning hitting the powerlines it should be able to stand up to the pressure or in the very least blow its fuse.

also, a 9v battery can set fire to a house, it is no metric to measure power levels,

(the 690v i have tried in reality, i know what happens)

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 3:13 pm

pavelow wrote:
as for offsite backup, not so much, but I am working on it... does anyone have any suggestions?, would a NAS sitting in the garage/shed suffice?

I have just started using rsync.net. It is cheap but pretty basic. Effectively it is the same as having an off-site NAS. A NAS in the garage/shed is pretty safe from fire/theft though a solid lightning strike nearby would quite possibly take out everything. I saw a church once that had been hit by lightning. Pretty much every piece of electronics in one end of the building was completely fried. I was working on the organ and had to replace just about every component. I keep my important data in two different buildings in case of fire but the most valuable stuff is also backed up off-site.

If you have an ADSL line, off site backup an be painfully slow. A full backup of my most important data takes about 18 hours. As my server runs 24/7 this doesn't bother me but it could get annoying if you normally turn the computer off.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

11 Feb 2012, 4:22 pm

RazorEddie wrote:
I have just started using rsync.net.
(...)
A full backup of my most important data takes about 18 hours. As my server runs 24/7 this doesn't bother me but it could get annoying if you normally turn the computer off.
But if rsync.net works in the same way as its namesake binary then after the initial backup, it will only be dealing with file differences so backup time should be considerably shorter.
I use rsync (the binary, not the site) to backup stuff to a NAS and to/from my server.

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 4:33 pm

Yup, that is right if you just do a straight rsync to their server. However I am keeping incremental backups with an occasional full backup for security. When you add encryption into the mix it gets even more bulky.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

11 Feb 2012, 4:49 pm

Ah, Ok. I see what you mean.