15 year old Aspie boy shot and killed... by cops

Page 3 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 1:21 pm

That's the whole point. This kid had welded a weapon before. That is a huge red flag. When I was a kid, you can bet I was terrified everyday of my life. did I pick up a knife? No. Did I try to smash authority figures with my fists? Absolutely never. This kid might have been autistic but his actions certainly were not. They are typical actions of kids who like to fight and cause problems. He's not the only kid who does it, either.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 2:03 pm

I wonder what the reactions would have been if they didn't mention he had autism?

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 2:09 pm

Cops will kill you in a heartbeat if you give them the chance.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 2:17 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I wonder what the reactions would have been if they didn't mention he had autism?

I rather they didn't mention it. Question becomes, did the cops use excessive force? They could have. That's what this is really about, not the fact this kid has autism. Based on what I read, it sounds like a complete system failure, not just a cop v parents thing.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 5:09 pm

Fogman wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I think the police have the right to defend themselves. The boy was a threat and he slashed one of them when he lashed out. The parents should have sent their boy away for help for his safety and theirs. I think being violent, they are heading for death because one day they might mess with the wrong person and get killed for self defense. Even when the parents don't send their violent kids away, they are at risk losing them because one day their kid will be shot or stabbed or whatever for self defense or possibly be killed by their own child.

Still though, there are nonlethal alternatives to shooting him. Although pepper spray and tasers aren't pleasant things, they won't kill the average person.

I'm for them all carrying a second weapon loaded with rubber bullets. You have to be within a certain distance to use a tazer or pepper spray/mace, but you can shoot someone with rubber bullets from a distance. If the guy has a knife and he's got a reach on him, then it's going to be dicey trying to taze or spray him.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 8:30 pm

MrXxx wrote:
. . . I think in this final situation it could have been handled as hostage situation. He, in effect, was holding himself hostage. Why not bring a hostage negotiator into play in a situation like this? Or at least something along those lines. . .

I like this. I think that's a good way of looking at it.

And the fact that the kid pulled a knife before is all the more reason to play a cautious, safer, more conservative game this time around. In particular, maybe not go down into the basement where Stephon's going to feel cornered and in fact be cornered. And the police officers are also going to feel cornered and in fact be cornered.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 8:41 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
. . . I think in this final situation it could have been handled as hostage situation. He, in effect, was holding himself hostage. Why not bring a hostage negotiator into play in a situation like this? Or at least something along those lines. . .

I like this. I think that's a good way of looking at it.

And the fact that the kid pulled a knife before is all the more reason to play a cautious, safer, more conservative game this time around. In particular, maybe not go down into the basement where Stephon's going to feel cornered and in fact be cornered. And the police officers are also going to feel cornered and in fact be cornered.

Did the officers even know he had a knife before they went in the basement?

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 11:39 pm

This is really sad. I haven't completed law school yet, so this will be an educated guess. Because the 15 yr. old had a lethal weapon (a knife), deadly force will be justified. But, I would have chanced it with a taser first. I think what happened was that the poor guy just became emotionally overloaded and started acting out. Hard to tell because none of us were there. Hard to second guess these things.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 10:47 am

I know of at least one incident of someone dying after being tased.

Someone taught this poor kid to fight with fists and/or weapons when angry orconflicted and it ended up getting him killed. The social worker told the parents to call the police on him which only earned him the reputation of a violent troublemaker. That is a dangerous reputation for anyone to have. I blame the family for teaching this kid to resolve conflict with violence and the social worker for failing to adequately address this kid's behavioral issues. Of course, he would have needed deprogramming. First as I am sure he has received malignant, misleading messages most of his life!

What would have happened if this kid sat down and said, "I am ready to listen to you, cops, I trust you. I know you want to help me." Totally different outcome but he never had the chance to learn this. In residential treatment, he might have.

NEVER teach kids to resolve conflict with violence.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 8:57 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I know of at least one incident of someone dying after being tased.

Someone taught this poor kid to fight with fists and/or weapons when angry orconflicted and it ended up getting him killed. The social worker told the parents to call the police on him which only earned him the reputation of a violent troublemaker. That is a dangerous reputation for anyone to have. I blame the family for teaching this kid to resolve conflict with violence and the social worker for failing to adequately address this kid's behavioral issues. Of course, he would have needed deprogramming. First as I am sure he has received malignant, misleading messages most of his life!

What would have happened if this kid sat down and said, "I am ready to listen to you, cops, I trust you. I know you want to help me." Totally different outcome but he never had the chance to learn this. In residential treatment, he might have.

NEVER teach kids to resolve conflict with violence.

They just need to be taught that doesn't apply to officers. They also need to be taught how to handle them and what not to do.

AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 6:55 pm

League_Girl wrote:

What do you mean? In the USA it is. In must be different in the UK. I hear kids can quit school when they are 16 and I have heard of parents going to jail for their kid not going to school and even Hanyo here has mentioned going to court because she missed so many days of school.

Huh... I got sent to juvy a day before my 18th birthday for trying to hide from school. I was 17, I wonder why the courts were pressing me to go if I legally didn't have to? Or is WA state different somehow?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 7:17 pm

AnnettaMarie wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

What do you mean? In the USA it is. In must be different in the UK. I hear kids can quit school when they are 16 and I have heard of parents going to jail for their kid not going to school and even Hanyo here has mentioned going to court because she missed so many days of school.

Huh... I got sent to juvy a day before my 18th birthday for trying to hide from school. I was 17, I wonder why the courts were pressing me to go if I legally didn't have to? Or is WA state different somehow?

Each state must have their own laws then for when a kid can quit school. :shrug:

AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 7:26 pm

League_Girl wrote:
AnnettaMarie wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Each state must have their own laws then for when a kid can quit school. :shrug:

Alright, well, no use looking into the past.

But to be more on topic, I think that five cops could have figured something out. Aren't they trained to handle violent kids? And why not shoot him in the leg?

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 7:34 pm

I wonder if that boy's parents ever had the money to bring him to a psychiatrist, counselor or mental institution. Because it's really sad that they have to use the police numerous times to calm him down. Maybe the boy was too reluctant or too anxious to interact with near people anywhere.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

06 Feb 2012, 11:35 pm

I blame the social worker who told the family to call the police when they had a problem with them. Police are not babysitters, nor are they therapists, they deal with criminals...he was dealt with as a criminal cuz that what they do.

Most of this seem to revolve around school, I believe there was some bullying going on.
Black culture is very hard on those who are different, him being in an intercity kid and black and autitic probably meant that he was bullied or worse at school for non-conformity, which is dealt with harshly by peers.

Maybe he reacted so violently about going to school because he did not feel safe at school.
He needed to be put in another school or even a mental hospital. The cops should have known better that to get cornered, There were 5 there, why didn't they yell for the other 3 to do a take down. Ya he was big, but 5 cops should be able to take down a 14 year old with a butterknife.

The parents should have not let it escilate to this point,, they should have hospitalized him or have done something than just call the cops to do the parrenting for them.

This was a systemic failure on all parties.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2012, 1:38 am

AnnettaMarie wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
AnnettaMarie wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Alright, well, no use looking into the past.

But to be more on topic, I think that five cops could have figured something out. Aren't they trained to handle violent kids? And why not shoot him in the leg?

They did actually but he moved so he shot him in the head. I read that in another article.

I am sure a person in pain would be defenseless so shooting him in the head may have not been necessary. But the police were maybe in defense mode because if someone came after me with a knife or scissors or whatever you can kill someone with so I stabbed them and they were in pain, I would want them dead so I would stab them again and make sure they are dead. But he had a gun and used it. I am sure I be in too much panic and defense mode to even think rationally of what I could do instead. But officers are trained to not let their emotions get in the way.