Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

beezy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Feb 2012, 6:35 pm

Is finding small talk boring an obstacle to dating for you guys?

For me it always has been. And if it starts to get interesting for me it seems like it's getting boring for the other person.

Do you have a way of overcoming this?

RobotGreenAlien2
Toucan
Toucan

02 Feb 2012, 7:24 pm

mostly let them talk. ask questions and let them know you're listening.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 11:01 pm

A) Ask questions about something that may or may not interest you. As suggested above.

B) convert a current interest into cliff notes form and try to engage someone on the topic. Speak slowly, don't information dump and be prepared to drop it at the slightest sign of disinterest.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 1:20 am

Yes. I don't want to do it and I don't want to listen.

tronist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2012, 2:24 am

beezy wrote:
Is finding small talk boring an obstacle to dating for you guys?

For me it always has been. And if it starts to get interesting for me it seems like it's getting boring for the other person.

Do you have a way of overcoming this?
yea, i also struggle with smalltalk. im basically abysmal at it.

and what better way to set a good impression than being incredibly awkward and not having anything to talk about on a date!

always works super well, let me tell ya.

ArtemisHolmes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2012, 6:18 am

Eh, small talk is fine for me, I guess. I just find it easier to find things to talk about that ARE serious/meaningful as opposed to 'Hey, how was your weekend? Fine? You dated another guy? Oh joy.'. Didn't actually happen to me, but the thought 'twas funny. Anyways, I would suggest asking what most interests the other person. "What interests you the most?" See if any interests mesh up, or ask about how a peculiar interest was formed originally, et cetera. Keep the conversation going. I don't mind silences, but a lot of other people seem to find them awkward.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 11:33 am

ArtemisHolmes wrote:
Eh, small talk is fine for me, I guess. I just find it easier to find things to talk about that ARE serious/meaningful as opposed to 'Hey, how was your weekend? Fine? You dated another guy? Oh joy.'. Didn't actually happen to me, but the thought 'twas funny. Anyways, I would suggest asking what most interests the other person. "What interests you the most?" See if any interests mesh up, or ask about how a peculiar interest was formed originally, et cetera. Keep the conversation going. I don't mind silences, but a lot of other people seem to find them awkward.

^ This.