Should I go for Computer Programming?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

HellRazzer7878
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Feb 2012, 12:02 pm

Hey guys, a somewhat new member(Haven't been on in a long while). But I have been contemplating starting college(a bit late, I am now 21) for a CP degree. I am good with computers although I do not know anything about the various programming langauges, I am sure I could learn... I am one of those Aspies who gets interested in one broad subject and will learn everything about THAT subject and move on to another so once I put my mind to do it, I can do it. How do you cope with college classes? Is it overwhelming at all? I am a little nervous. Thanks :)

mitch413
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2012, 8:29 pm

HellRazzer7878 wrote:
Hey guys, a somewhat new member(Haven't been on in a long while). But I have been contemplating starting college(a bit late, I am now 21) for a CP degree. I am good with computers although I do not know anything about the various programming langauges, I am sure I could learn... I am one of those Aspies who gets interested in one broad subject and will learn everything about THAT subject and move on to another so once I put my mind to do it, I can do it. How do you cope with college classes? Is it overwhelming at all? I am a little nervous. Thanks :)

I'd suggest taking some computer programming courses as a non-degree student at a local community college to get started. Typically they'll offer classes in Java and/or C++, but it may vary from place to place. It's a pretty low cost way of finding out whether or not it is for you without making a firm commitment to it. If you like it, you can always enroll in the program or go to a 4 year college. Of course, you can also go to a 4 year college after completing a 2 year program at a community college.

College classes are a challenge, some more so than others. I would take a somewhat light load to begin with in order to get used to it. It's better to take a little longer to complete your degree and do well than not do well. I think the best way to approach college is to conservatively rather than all in since us Aspies can take a little longer to adjust to change and find ways to manage stress.

largosan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Feb 2012, 10:00 pm

If you are interested in that sort of thing, the tech guy at my school says that Java and Perl are bad languages to learn on, because they are more relaxed on rules of programming than other languages. This leads to "S****y overall programming skills", in the words of Mr. Falk(Tech Guy). He has me using python, and then re-doing what I did in python, in perl. He also recommends anything C based(C, C++, C#). That is the advice I have to offer.

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 1:49 am

Agreed. I think C++ is a good starting programming language to learn. It kind of demands "good programming practices" more than the other languages, and it is also used in the real world.

I'd take an introductory programming course and go not by the grade you get in it, but by how much you like it. I've gotten A's in classes I hated.

AQ: 33

Lynners
Raven
Raven

18 Feb 2012, 9:07 am

Same thing here. I just enrolled at a tech school for an associates in computer science and programming after being out of college for 8 years.

I don't know any languages but I'm sure I can learn.

Axion004
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2012, 3:40 pm

I would suggest you study and get a BS in Computer Science if you are interested. It is a good career path with very high growth rates. I did my Bachelor's in Economics and I am going back to school to try and complete a MS in CS(I currently work at a software company). This isn't easy- 60 hour weeks are common- however in the long run it is a great career.