Page 1 of 7 [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 12:12 am

I noticed the beginnings of a discussion about this in another thread. To prevent derailment, what's your opinion?

Personally, I am a supporter in some cases. Mainly, in cases where there is no doubt about the perpetrators guilt and the crime is very destructive. Murder, rape, child abuse of any kind, crimes that can destroy lives.

You will reap what you've sown.

Magdalena
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2012, 1:33 am

Absolutely not.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 4:43 am

considering that even one incorrect [capital case] verdict is the anathema of an innocent man lashed to a railroad car bound inexorably for the [premature] grave, i can't support it. besides, the supermax prison is living death itself. only folks like ted kaczinski bear up well in such a cognitively impoverished environment. only the biblical outer darkness could be worse. death itself [aside from the pain of execution] is relatively anticlimactic.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 5:45 am

In the UK, the problem we have is that punishments do not fit the crimes. Life does not mean life, or anywhere close. My cousin was the innocent murder victim of a gang of 10 thugs. One of the gang got 'life', two got a few months, which they'd served whilst awaiting trial and the rest got off with it completely. The lifer was released from prison in less than 10 years, still a young man. He lives in my town and, for all I know, I could have spoken to him and my daughter may be attending the same school as his children. That chills me to the bone.

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 7:01 am

I wish we could bring back gladiatorial combat to the death, televise it and use the proceeds to subsidize the justice system.

This has an interesting secondary effect, only those with blood on their hands will have blood on their hands.

Of course you could discuss the "innocent" man issue. But I think that is a separate issue entirely.

Keeping a man locked in a cage for a lengthy period is just inefficient. It doesn't make any sense. If he is a continued danger to society, he should just get put down. If he is not a danger, why lock him up in a cage? It just doesn't make any sense.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 8:52 am

With a reasonable system of appeals I support the death penalty.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 12:32 pm

If there was a system where it was rarely invoked, only with overwhelming evidence determined by some high standard laid down in law, and then the appeals process shortened, I'd be fine with it.

Make it a well warranted, relatively inexpensive way to take out the trash.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 12:52 pm

For heinous crimes in which the guilt of the perpetrator is unquestionable given the evidence I see no reason why there should not be capital punishment.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 2:43 pm

I'm completely against it and it baffles me how popular it is among modern people.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 2:45 pm

abacacus wrote:
I noticed the beginnings of a discussion about this in another thread. To prevent derailment, what's your opinion?

Personally, I am a supporter in some cases. Mainly, in cases where there is no doubt about the perpetrators guilt and the crime is very destructive. Murder, rape, child abuse of any kind, crimes that can destroy lives.

Child abuse of any kind? So like, if a father hits his son, he should be put to death? That almost seems like a reverse of the insane filial piety laid out in the Bible about stoning a child to death for disobeying their parents.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 2:46 pm

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
In the UK, the problem we have is that punishments do not fit the crimes. Life does not mean life, or anywhere close. My cousin was the innocent murder victim of a gang of 10 thugs. One of the gang got 'life', two got a few months, which they'd served whilst awaiting trial and the rest got off with it completely. The lifer was released from prison in less than 10 years, still a young man. He lives in my town and, for all I know, I could have spoken to him and my daughter may be attending the same school as his children. That chills me to the bone.

I think they should make it so that people who get out of jail for murder should not be allowed to live in the same community as their victim, unless the victim pardons them.

I wouldn't be so quick to wish for the kind of justice system we have in the USA though, it does not work well.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 2:50 pm

having seen just howe ridicoulous human bias is i wouldnt trust any system where any human can have any influence over the outcome of a death sentence,

then comes the discussion of what laws should warrant a death penalty and what circumstances should rpevent, all in all it is an ethical minefield where no one can ever walk true using only human perception.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Abgal64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Feb 2012, 2:58 pm

If one cannot be corrected, then why should society supply them with the essentials of life? Supporting a person who does not, and/or who cannot, contribute is irrational and thus I fully support capitol punishment for at least these people.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 3:00 pm

I find it disturbing how most people who are pro-death penalty these days argue that we need a death penalty to protect the children. That's just immensely effed up in my book, to use our children as a justification for acting vengeful.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 3:27 pm

Abgal64 wrote:
If one cannot be corrected, then why should society supply them with the essentials of life? Supporting a person who does not, and/or who cannot, contribute is irrational and thus I fully support capitol punishment for at least these people.

in principle i dont disagree but humans are so fukll of error that i think its arrogant for any person today to make that decision.

show me how it can be done in any sort of objective way and i will consider it but unitll then i dont trust any human can be as error free as is required not to make more of a mess than a solution out of it.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 3:43 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
I find it disturbing how most people who are pro-death penalty these days argue that we need a death penalty to protect the children. That's just immensely effed up in my book, to use our children as a justification for acting vengeful.

It's not just to protect children, it's to protect all of society.

Someone who can not be rehabilitated will always be a danger to society, and there is no reason to keep them alive.

You will reap what you've sown.