Do you hate sarcasm when you don't understand it?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kestrel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 5:44 am

Only a few people I know get my sarcasm and I think that's more from familiarity than anything special I do to indicate I'm being sarcastic. I think of it a lot like satire -- good satire is deadly serious. :P Although I really need to avoid both satire and sarcasm when around people I don't know. It gives them the wrong impression. :? I have my doubts that anyone would pick up on it online, too... so I try to keep everything as serious as I can to avoid miscommunication.

Kalika
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Feb 2012, 6:06 pm

I've got mixed feelings on sarcasm......have gotten better at picking up on it over the years, but I've had some awkward moments because I took something seriously when it wasn't meant to be.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 6:39 pm

At times it's a wakeup call. If you plod along in something and you don't get the implications of it, someone can use it to penetrate that aura.

Sometimes a needed wake up call. Usually I interpret it as non-insulting because they are making light of the behavior and not entirely characterizing or boxing you up in that statement. It's insulting when they do, do the latter.

If one have a tendency to take things or themselves too seriously than it is ineffective. Everyone makes mistakes and it works both ways, and many people can laugh about it as pointing to themselves.

I've been around a lot it and it is usually wittingling applied and I cant help but laugh about it.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 12:00 am

Mdyar wrote:
Usually I interpret it as non-insulting because they are making light of the behavior and not entirely characterizing or boxing you up in that statement. It's insulting when they do, do the latter.

Agreed.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 12:40 am

Yesterday when this was posted I was not doing so good. Now that I regained common sense I want to add a couple of things.

Sarcasm can be funny when not used in an insulting way. I get some of it but other times it confuses me.
Everyone seems to get it before me. Online It's hard to understand unless it is obvious.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 12:45 am

I hate it even when I do understand it, maybe moreso than when I don't. At least when I don't recognize it I'm only thinking, "Was that sarcastic? I can't tell" instead of "What a snobby prick."