Undiagnosed aspie--RDOS aspie results attached

Page 1 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

screaminglamb
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 4 Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 7

12 Feb 2012, 6:13 pm

I'm really not sure if I has aspergers. I remember as a child I could not talk to people or look them in the eyes at all. I often ignored people who would say hi and didn't smile at people who smiled at me. I used to have severe anxiety when expected to talk to anybody I wasn't familiar with. However I have grown alot since then and do all these social norms but I do not know if it is because I was just a slow developer or if I simply do these things out of habit because it helps me get through social situations. I also thought it was unusal that the quiz asked i I walk on my toes because I have been told I do this all my life (my calves are very much larger than the norm). I would like it very much if the community could chime in and advise me on whether or not I do have aspergers.

Image

I have NO clue what this means... How do you read this thing??



hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Sep 2011
Age: 43
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,424

12 Feb 2012, 6:27 pm

I'm not diagnosed either but I see some similarities to my thing from that test. My perception on the nt side is very low though.

Image



Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 732
Location: Wales, UK

12 Feb 2012, 7:33 pm

Quote:
I would like it very much if the community could chime in and advise me on whether or not I do have aspergers.


If you've grown out of it, or your symptons no longer cause you any problems, then the simplistic answer is that you don't have it.

Jason



starkid
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,065
Location: California

12 Feb 2012, 9:39 pm

I think the diagram is just a graphical version of the numbers you get in your report. Did you read it yet?



Agemaki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 11 Oct 2011
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 371
Location: Squirrel Forest

13 Feb 2012, 4:02 am

I got the impression that the "hunting" category was related to theories of a connection between autism and neanderthal genes. I'm not sure what the latest opinion on that theory is, but I got the impression there was some controversy. For me, the "hunting" sections were the only was that were about the same on both sides where all rest were significantly higher on the aspie side. I also walk on my toes a lot, though it depends on the texture of the floor; I tend to do it more on hard surfaces than soft ones. Sometimes it just bothers me to feel my heels on the floor. If you're not sure if you have asperger's or not the best thing to do is probably more research since it's even hard for professionals to make an accurate diagnosis and individuals vary a lot. I don't know for sure if I have it or not since I haven't been tested but so far it seems to be the best explanation I've found for the issues I've had.



fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 May 2009
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 505

13 Feb 2012, 4:31 am

Agemaki wrote:
I got the impression that the "hunting" category was related to theories of a connection between autism and neanderthal genes. I'm not sure what the latest opinion on that theory is, but I got the impression there was some controversy. For me, the "hunting" sections were the only was that were about the same on both sides where all rest were significantly higher on the aspie side. I also walk on my toes a lot, though it depends on the texture of the floor; I tend to do it more on hard surfaces than soft ones. Sometimes it just bothers me to feel my heels on the floor. If you're not sure if you have asperger's or not the best thing to do is probably more research since it's even hard for professionals to make an accurate diagnosis and individuals vary a lot. I don't know for sure if I have it or not since I haven't been tested but so far it seems to be the best explanation I've found for the issues I've had.


These tests can be a bit difficult for me, because I'm not sure how to answer some of the questions. It asks if 'you enjoy walking on your toes', and while yes, I quite enjoy it, I rarely do it, because I don't want to seem odd. When in doubt, I always choose what I think is the more reserved answer, so as to not skew the results.

For instance, there is a question on the test about whether or not you enjoy gossip. While I know the expected answer for someone with AS would be no, I always answer a strong yes for that question, because when I spend time with my co-workers outside of work, gossip is the easiest and best way for me to communicate with them...all I have to do is repeat things that I've seen or heard...no guesswork involved. It's just about the easiest form of communication there is! So, emphatic yes...but saying so makes me sound like a social butterfly, and that just isn't so.


_________________
Aspie Quiz: AS - 141/200, NT - 77/200 (Very likely an Aspie)
AQ: 34/50 (Aspie range)
EQ: 32 / SQ: 68 (Extreme Systemizing / AS or HFA)
Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012


nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2010
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,121
Location: Amongst the leaves.

13 Feb 2012, 6:31 am

My personal opinion is the the rdos quiz is of limited value, being based as it is on one persons particular ideas about Neanderthal heritage, and his particular views about what constitutes an "aspie". Such odd questions as "Do you have unusual sexual preferences?" or "Have you been fascinated about making traps?" certainly give the quiz a bizarre twist, and given that I just can't take the results seriously.



Halligeninseln
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2011
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 382
Location: Central Europe

13 Feb 2012, 7:39 am

nemorosa wrote:
My personal opinion is the the rdos quiz is of limited value, being based as it is on one persons particular ideas about Neanderthal heritage, and his particular views about what constitutes an "aspie". Such odd questions as "Do you have unusual sexual preferences?" or "Have you been fascinated about making traps?" certainly give the quiz a bizarre twist, and given that I just can't take the results seriously.


I find ALL the quizzes misleading and dangerous. If you know of one that isn't I'd be interested to get a link. I've even heard that psychologists sometimes make diagnoses just based on their quizzes, which seems bizarre. The quizzes say that I'm an aspie and I'm pretty sure I'm not and that my high scores are due to being really unsociable, introverted and focussed by nature, which is just that and nothing else.



rdos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2005
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,314
Location: Sweden

13 Feb 2012, 7:48 am

nemorosa wrote:
My personal opinion is the the rdos quiz is of limited value, being based as it is on one persons particular ideas about Neanderthal heritage, and his particular views about what constitutes an "aspie".


Not mine. The scoring algorithm is automatic, abnd so independent on my view of what is Aspie and what is not (in addition to anybody else particular view). But Aspie means neurodiverse, basically, but OTOH, the central neurodiverse condition is ASD, so that is not so important. Additionally, the AQ test and Aspie Quiz scores are highly correlated.

nemorosa wrote:
Such odd questions as "Do you have unusual sexual preferences?" or "Have you been fascinated about making traps?" certainly give the quiz a bizarre twist, and given that I just can't take the results seriously.


They are naturally there because they are related to neurodiversity. :wink:



rdos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2005
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,314
Location: Sweden

13 Feb 2012, 7:54 am

Agemaki wrote:
I got the impression that the "hunting" category was related to theories of a connection between autism and neanderthal genes


Not so. The neurotypical hunting category is what psychiatrists call Dyslexia and Dyscalculia. The Aspie hunting category was initially an experiment, but was retained because it is related to neurodiversity. No question in Aspie Quiz is there because of the Neanderthal theory. The relationship is the inverse. The Neanderthal theory uses Aspie Quiz results as its raw data, since nobody has researched many of these issues, and no data was available. The main object of Aspie Quiz is to measure neurodiversity. If this is related to Neanderthal heritage or not is not an issue in Aspie Quiz. No item will ever be added if it doesn't satisfy the primary requirements: High correlation to Aspie score and low correlation to other questions.



Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 May 2009
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,514

13 Feb 2012, 8:19 am

Some here on WP score way into the" NT" range on this Aspie quiz, and have an ofiicial confirmation of an ASD.

At one time the aurgument laid against them( one in particular) was "Doctor error." The posters were clearly autistic, as one didn't say a word till 7 years of age, but with a heavy NT score-- Daniel is my name comes to mind.

What does this mean?



rdos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2005
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,314
Location: Sweden

13 Feb 2012, 8:29 am

Mdyar wrote:
Some here on WP score way into the" NT" range on this Aspie quiz, and have an ofiicial confirmation of an ASD.

At one time the aurgument laid against them( one in particular) was "Doctor error." The posters were clearly autistic, as one didn't say a word till 7 years of age, but with a heavy NT score-- Daniel is my name comes to mind.

What does this mean?


It means it misses some individuals, just like any other self-report tool does. There is always the issue of missing individuals that are diagnosable vs the issue of giving false positives to NTs. It could mean some persons have poor self-awareness (since it is a self-report tool, self awareness is required to get correct results). It could mean some persons have adapted very well, and so no longer have any issues, and perhaps they got diagnosed early.

I also should point out that Aspie Quiz primarily measures the personality type associated with autistic traits, and so scores are not related to severity of ASD in the clinical sense. That means that it is a poor indicator of severe autism.



Callista
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,395
Location: Ohio, USA

13 Feb 2012, 10:12 am

Jtuk wrote:
Quote:
I would like it very much if the community could chime in and advise me on whether or not I do have aspergers.


If you've grown out of it, or your symptons no longer cause you any problems, then the simplistic answer is that you don't have it.

Jason
Technically yes. A diagnosis is only for people who have some kind of impairment. However, you may still have an autistic cognitive style, and a lot in common with diagnosable autistics. You can lose your diagnosis just learning enough about the world not to need any sort of help or any more effort than the typical.


_________________
Reports from a Resident Alien:
http://chaoticidealism.livejournal.com

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com


nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2010
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,121
Location: Amongst the leaves.

13 Feb 2012, 11:01 am

rdos wrote:
nemorosa wrote:
My personal opinion is the the rdos quiz is of limited value, being based as it is on one persons particular ideas about Neanderthal heritage, and his particular views about what constitutes an "aspie".


Not mine. The scoring algorithm is automatic, abnd so independent on my view of what is Aspie and what is not (in addition to anybody else particular view). But Aspie means neurodiverse, basically, but OTOH, the central neurodiverse condition is ASD, so that is not so important. Additionally, the AQ test and Aspie Quiz scores are highly correlated.

nemorosa wrote:
Such odd questions as "Do you have unusual sexual preferences?" or "Have you been fascinated about making traps?" certainly give the quiz a bizarre twist, and given that I just can't take the results seriously.


They are naturally there because they are related to neurodiversity. :wink:


Well are you or are you not the author of the quiz? Because I was under the impression you were. If so then the scoring algorithm reflects your particular views.

I feel this is all a little misleading for many people as they go and take the test believing that this is some kind of legitimate test when it appears to be little more than your hobby.



rdos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jul 2005
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,314
Location: Sweden

13 Feb 2012, 3:29 pm

nemorosa wrote:
Well are you or are you not the author of the quiz? Because I was under the impression you were. If so then the scoring algorithm reflects your particular views.


Yes, and no. I'm the author of Aspie Quiz, and I'm not involved in the scoring. It is fully automatic, and uses factor loadings for all questions. I'm also the one that have put the questions in, but I've not selected them, as this has also used an automatic method. Therefore, the quiz is not biased by my views, or anybody elses views. In fact, it is past quiz-takers that have both provided the weights, and which questions are used, among those that have been tested.

nemorosa wrote:
I feel this is all a little misleading for many people as they go and take the test believing that this is some kind of legitimate test when it appears to be little more than your hobby.


It is just as legitimate as any other tests. It has just as good relevance for ASD diagnosis as the AQ test, possibly better since it has no gender bias.