Why is not being able to ride a bike associated with........

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Can you swim or ride a bike?
Neither 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Neither 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
I can ride a bike, but I can't swim 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
I can swim but not ride a bike 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Both 63%  63%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 19

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 6:42 pm

not being able to swim? It seems lots of people say "He can't ride a bike or swim", or "I never learned how to ride a bike. I can't swim either". I can do both but I am a lot better of swimmer than cyclist. I took my first swimming lessons at the pretty much the youngest age our city allows us to and all the way up to grade 5. I didn't learn how to read a bike until I was 11. I basically learned the two skills 10 years apart. If it weren't for peer pressure, (not direct peer pressure, but the type where everyone is doing something so you think you have to do it) I probably would never have learned to ride a bike. I was kind of embarrassed when I did learn because my parents would tell people in the park that I "just learned to ride a bike" if I made a mistake because I was so old (and I looked even older, more like 13 as I was tall). However, I would probably still know how to swim because I was put in swimming lessons by parents at a very young age, unlike with bike lessons.

So why is it that if someone doesn't know how to ride a bike, they often don't know how to swim either. I know 2 people who can't really ride a bike and both of them can't swim either. However, up until 6 years ago, I didn't know how to ride a bike, but I knew how to swim.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 6:47 pm

I think there are some people who just never learn how.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 6:51 pm

Because those are things that people usually learn as kids and they are things that take a good bit of teaching many times and are considered accomplishments when you are a child and you master that skill. It's a big deal to kids to learn those things. Also, because once you learn those two things, you have all sorts of chances for summer fun.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 7:01 pm

Also, I LOVE swimming, but I HATE riding a bike. I have never EVER met another person who knows how to ride a bike and doesn't like it.

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Nov 2020, 10:30 am

I will give you a example my wife can't ride a bike or swim but has a very high IQ.I was able to ride a bike and learn to swim but on the IQ level scored low.She is my somewhat care giver.

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2020, 10:35 am

I definitely can swim I know and I used to ride a bicycle all the time as a kid so I'm assuming I still can.

My Tumblr